PDA

View Full Version : Heeeelp!

NerdWarrior
07-12-2002, 04:23 PM
Damn virus. :angry:
I got rid of it, but it messed up my computer!
So, please tell me this quickly, how do I edit file types without using folder options. Specifically, the application file type.
Help! :cry:

inori
07-12-2002, 04:32 PM
Well, you can do it using RegEdit, but that's a bit messy, a bit dangerous, and a bit overcomplicated... I don't even know all the registry entries associated with file types, and they might vary between versions of Windows anyway.

I can't think of another way that doesn't involve Folder Options... you might try the various Control Panels. :shrug:

Beldaran
07-12-2002, 04:37 PM
or use the two most dangerous words in the english language:

format C

NerdWarrior
07-12-2002, 04:37 PM
...there must be another way. Some asshole virus changed it, there must be a way to change it back. Or I could find a workaround...write a program that launches programs and then closes itself. That would work as well. If you could do the program, send it to [email protected]. Hurry! I'll be in deep shit if my mom tries to go on the computer (I'm on my Dad's laptop).

inori
07-12-2002, 04:42 PM
What exactly is the problem... your .exe file association is messed up?

Give all possible details: version of Windows, what happens when you try to run a program (try several methods: double-click a program, right-click one and report what menu options come up, run though Windows Explorer, use the Run command in the Start menu, etc.), what virus you had (if possible), and anything else that you think might be useful. I'll see if I can come up with the appropriate Registry entries.

NerdWarrior
07-12-2002, 04:45 PM
I had avkiller.trojan. I have Win 98, and when I try to run .exe files, it says "cannot find wmmiexe.exe" (it's the avkiller part).
All I need is to change "Application" to the normal value.

Beldaran
07-12-2002, 04:47 PM
yes and if you need me to, I'll mail you a hammer so you can beat the shit out of the computer.

I'm really not adding anything to this discussion, am I?

[leaves amidst an embarrassing silence]

Lone Wolf
07-12-2002, 04:50 PM
Damn Viruses!!!!! Sorry to hear it man. I dunno much about comps anyway.

Paradox
07-12-2002, 04:52 PM
so you're saying all you need is a program that makes every program on your computer open then close? you could do it manually, but it'd take a while...

inori
07-12-2002, 04:54 PM
Okay, I found out what's going on. Give me fifteen minutes, and I'll try to write a program that will correct it. (Basically, I'm going to write something called wmmiexe.exe, that you'll have to let masquerade as the virus, but that will really fix your registry.)

It seems that that's the only way to do it, since you'd otherwise have to run Regedit to fix the registry...

NerdWarrior
07-12-2002, 04:55 PM
No.
On the desktop, applications are currently being opened by another application. I deleted it. (Why? I didn't know what it did, besides disable my anti-virus) I need to replace it or get rid of the need for it.

EDIT: The laptop isn't much better at loading pages. Thank you inori, just send it to me. Now...to just sneak upstairs, put it on, run it, and my mom won't notice a thing :D.

Plus I have to stay on here long enough. So, you have my email right? Just send it there when you have it done! Whew... :kawaii:

Paradox
07-12-2002, 04:56 PM
so whenever you clicked on a program, another application made it run?

NerdWarrior
07-12-2002, 05:00 PM
Right. The point was that it has a list of programs to kill, like Norton, AVG, firewalls, etc. It also launched some other programs, which really bogged down the computer (I had to kill them as soon as the comp started.) (Thank God for having M$ put in safe mode).

Paradox
07-12-2002, 05:02 PM
so from what i gather the only thing bad that the virus does is bog down your computer with extra applications... you can still run all programs but it just goes through a "run all the programs" program first...

NerdWarrior
07-12-2002, 05:12 PM
Plus I don't like not having an anti-virus on. ^_^

inori
07-12-2002, 05:15 PM
Okay, fixer app is written... NerdWarrior, I don't have your e-mail. PM it to me, and I'll e-mail you the fixer, with instructions.

Paradox
07-12-2002, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by NerdWarrior
If you could do the program, send it to [email protected]. Hurry!

going blind? ;)

inori
07-12-2002, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by Paradox
going blind? ;)

Yeah, yeah... I was so busy coding that I missed that part. And then I freaked because Opera temporarily replaced the "Buddy" button with my avatar. I have no clue how that happened... but I cleared the cache, and it's back to normal now.