PDA

View Full Version : Obvious reasons for AGN slowness

DemoQuestFan
07-11-2002, 01:20 AM
Here are some obvious reasons for AGN slowing down at certain times or when you are loading certain topics:

1. Animated Signatures: Not mentioning any names but there are a lot of people using sigs to make their Navis do actions ranging from sword slashing to jumping around. Also there are some people that have animated GIFs (large pics of non-Navis) in their signatures.

2. Animated Avatars: The board default as it was back when I joined in 2001 had no animated avatars. Not until Cyclone's Kirby avatars (which did really nothing to the boards) came along did we have animated AVs.

3. Limited Bandwidth: Easy to explain. With all the crap stated above, the bandwidth is being hogged.

4. Quest Screenshots: Some of these take forever to load primarily because of the server that they are stored on, nothing to do with AGN, but still slows down board loading times.

Now, I understand you can turn off sigs and avatars, but still, that doesn't inprove overall loading time for anyone. All the stuff is still stored in the bandwidth and on the server that AGN uses so it isn't gonna make a difference whether I shut off avatars or signatures.

SSJ3500
07-11-2002, 01:21 AM
Or, mabey its the severe amounts of bandwidth used up daily here.

Mak-X
07-11-2002, 01:22 AM
It'll matter for you because you won't be downloading the avatars and signatures, thus not using up bandwidth and decreasing your download time. Are you talking about the forum topics in general slowly loading, or just the downtimes when the server is going wacky and not loading?

Posts usually load per post as each post from a person downloads when I click a topic. There's only been a few times when the forums were going really slow, which was from the server itself, I don't think AGN is really working the server that much by itself. The only way for me to load a page faster is if I got a broadband connection of cable or DSL, as I see from when I went to AGN at college, and any website, almost instant load.

DemoQuestFan
07-11-2002, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by SSJ3500
Or, mabey its the severe amounts of bandwidth that is used up daily here.

That would fall under #3 - Limited Bandwidth

Posted by Mak-X
It'll matter for you because you won't be downloading the avatars and signatures, thus not using up bandwidth. Are you talking about the forum topics in general slowly loading, or just the downtimes when the server is going wacky and not loading.

Mainly its the slow loading times of the bigger topics, along with server bandwidth.

SSJ3500
07-11-2002, 01:24 AM
I didnt see that at first...

Mak-X
07-11-2002, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by DemoQuestFan
Mainly its the slow loading times of the bigger topics, along with server bandwidth.

Well the bigger topics slowness I would attribute mainly to them just getting too big (like nearing 10pages) because its hard on the forums, in software.

I've noticed times when there were a lot of people browsing the forums, greater than usually to make it seem like a lot, and the forums are the same speed, so I've never really seen any slowdown caused by bandwidth. I've been here like everyday where it has been slow but I always thought that had to do with the host being slow. Then again I guess I could be wrong and a lot of people were coming to AGN those days. (actually that does make sense)