PDA

View Full Version : Computer problems

Toolie
07-10-2002, 08:44 PM
Quite simply, my processor has melted.

I've been running an AMD XP 1600 with a heatsink and fan on a K7T Turbo2 mainboard from MSI. I was running with a switchable 300 watt powersupply on a standard ATX case.

Running in my computer was a standard CD burner, a 30gb Quantum Fireball, a 40gb Western Digital, 2x128 mb SDRAM cards, a GeForce 4 MX 420, another generic PCI card, an ethernet card, floppy drive and various USB devices.

My friends Chris and Jude were sleeping in my room and I was half awake while my friend Scott was playing dominoes online with his girlfriend. At 1:48 am, the computer power went out and Scott woke me up to address the situation.

My mainboard comes with a bracket of LED lights that are arranged in a 2x2 pattern with green and red lights. Depending on what pattern they are in, it tells whats wrong with the mainboard. The LEDs initially indicated a 3 red / 1 green upright corner pattern meaning that my onboard memory module was damaged and couldn't start.

Confused, I disconnected everything from my computer besides the processor/heatsink/fan and reassembled. After doing this, my computer started back up and before it started booting the OS and froze and shut off. After trying to restart the computer, the LEDs indicated 4 red, which means the processor is damaged or not installed correctly. I know for a fact that my processor has been working and installed correctly.

I checked through the K7T Turbo 2 manual and noticed a pin setting to switch from a bus speed of 100mhz to 133mhz, which solves alot of my initial problems. I changed that to see if it would help with the boot process, but nothing happened. Bear in mind that when I do start up, the monitor wont start since its so early in the sequence, so all I have to run by are the LEDs.

I went downstairs with Scott, ate some food, went upstairs and to bed (about 2:30 at this time). I woke up fairly late and eveyrone was gone, so I decided to take a stab at working on the issue again, so I called my friend Adam and we got to work on the problem.

So I disconnected everything besides the processor/heatsink/fan and put everything back in again. Unfortunately, this didn't solve the problem this time. My mom walks into the room and hands me a package for me in the mail. Looking at its rather poor construct, I figured it was finally my wallet from Jarrod. Instead it was something else I wanted but was no use, the Mandrake Linux CD's from The Savior. Eager to install it, I placed them aside and started working on the computer.

So I went in and took off the heatsink/fan and noticed that the face (top) of my processor was melted and covered in a nasty fusion of plastic and silicon. At this point I was extremely frightened that my processor has been slowly melting, even though its been underclocked for some time (running at 1050mhz because of the 100/133mhz pin setting). I turned my computer on with nothing but the processor connected and noticed a smoke emitting from the face of the processor.

I now have no idea how my processor had melted. It had adequate cooling and a heatsink/fan rated for the job. There was no overclocking whatsoever, and my room is air conditioned. I have no idea if the mainboard was giving out or if it was the processor fault. My only options now are to spend $300+ to buy a new mainboard and processor.

However, money has become quite an issue since I must provide all my finances for myself now. I'm now decided whether or not to sell my computer in order to buy a car. If your interested in possibly purchasing anything, send me a PM.

MrCow
07-10-2002, 08:59 PM
god that sucks toolie sry to here that. If that ever happened to me I would be so pissed that I would well lets not get into that. Sry man

Toolie
07-10-2002, 09:07 PM
Here's some more good news everyone...

My parents now have decided against letting me sell my computer components because they techinical own them. However, they are also against paying money to have them repaired. Which leaves me in a bind; I have an unusable computer with no money to repair it and nothing to gain from having it sit there.

To add to the joy, my parents wont let me place my backup harddrive in their computer, because they are afraid that it might destroy their computer. I'm stuck, and I hate it.

MrCow
07-10-2002, 09:14 PM
god toolman I feel so bad for you because that is like some of the worst situations you could get into comp related. how are you on right now?

Toolie
07-10-2002, 09:26 PM
I'm on my parents computer.

gdorf
07-10-2002, 09:26 PM
Try sending in the proccessor. Sounds like your processor is farily new.. maybe you can get some help :)

Menokh
07-10-2002, 10:12 PM
Ouch.
I've seen that before. It almost happened to my computer once when my friend put the heatsink on backwards, luckily it wouldn't boot past the BIOS so I had to find out what was wrong before being able to do anything; once I realized it had to be the heatsink, I removed it and noticed some heat damaged on the processor; luckily it was only minor damage and it still works well, although a little slower than it should be.

I'll be a nice guy and look around online and price mobos with processors for you. I think I know a place that might have one you may be able to afford if you have a job.

DukenukemX
07-10-2002, 11:44 PM
I would hate to be in your situation. My friends PC burned and he is going thru the same trouble you are.

Before buying anything for your PC I would look very carefully at the PC's parts and see what caused it to burn out.

It could be the Motherboard is bad or the power supply did it in. Maybe the heat sink was not flat against the CPU.

Lucky for you the Athlon XP 1600+ is only $66 at http://www.pricewatch.com/1/3/4075-1.htm Thats with shipping.

Before spending a dime I would find out what caused the CPU to burn? Athlon chips can burn very easy if the heat sink is not on right. Tomshardware.com showed it takes seconds to smoke a Athlon without a heatsink.

Go to the link to see the article about AMD chips and burning. They show a video of a AMD smoking as soon as the heat sink is gone. http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/01q3/010917/heatvideo-05.html

The PC crashes even when the person is having a hard time getting the heatsink and fan off the AMD CPU.

gdorf
07-11-2002, 12:05 AM
Pentiums are the least likely to overheat, maybe that'd be a good investment :)

Menokh: Would you mind giving me a link as well? I have currently been shopping for a new MB/Processor. (:

Thunderbird
07-11-2002, 12:29 AM
Pentiums are least likely to overheat because their detection mechanisms are better (I wonder if the Athlon even HAS one). A Pentium 3 will lock up if the heatsink is removed. A P4 loses speed QUICKLY if the heat gets too high (the video on Tom's Hardware showed Quake 3 slow down to worse than a snail's pace).

However, all ya need to do is make sure everything is on right, and if your mobo is new enough (has sensors), run something to track the temperatures and voltage ratings of your system. I haven't found anything to work with my laptop though (the only reason I know it has a sensor is the HP Diagnostics on it are able to read the CPU temp).

slothman
07-11-2002, 01:00 AM
The only think you can probably do is get a new CPU, like the others said. They are pretty cheap though. You might have to wait a few months to save money, depending on how much you earn. It shouldn't put a big dent in your car money.

vegeta1215
07-11-2002, 01:14 AM
Sorry to hear that man. It's just no fun when you can't use your own computer :(

Toolie
07-11-2002, 01:18 AM
Hah... I can't download music on here... no p2p programs, and no downloads. I can only rely on my xbox which has both System of a Down CD's burned and Mindless Self Indulgence's CD burned.

My parents seem to think their "friend" that works at a local computer repair shop can fix a melted processor cheaply. There is no fucking fixing involved... I need money.

gdorf
07-11-2002, 01:46 AM
Don't trust local computer shops!! They are the devil!

I have had sooo many bad experiences with small computer stores.. once they tried to steal 64mb of Ram.. how dumb do they think I am?.. And then, when they tried to put it back in, they shocked the Motherboard and tried to blame it on me.

Needless to say I got my mom to bitch, and I got a new motherboard, and twice as much ram :)

DukenukemX
07-11-2002, 02:15 AM
Posted by Thunderbird
Pentiums are least likely to overheat because their detection mechanisms are better (I wonder if the Athlon even HAS one).

Yep AMD has released a video to show that the AMD chips can be saved from being burnt. Except that the motherboard is in charge of it. So you need to have a really new advanced motherboard to have this feature. Only a few AMD motherboards have it.

Toolie if you decide to buy a new CPU and put it in your system that burnt it you better be ready for the worst. Maybe a new Motherboard won't be a bad idea. Besides a AMD chip works best with DDR memory. ;)

Your K7T Turbo2 MB should have come with software to monitor the temperature of the AMD chip. If you do decide to keep that motherboard try checking the temperature of the chip. The temperature should be around 65 degress. Some motherboards have it setup so you can go right into the bios and see the temperature. Would also be a good idea to check to see if the memory slots are burnt or melted. My friends PC had that happen to him. Lucky for him the CPU is fine.

Verman
07-11-2002, 07:59 AM
Maybe you had the core voltage on the CPU set wrong (like at 3 volts instead of 2.2) That could cause some damage. I hear that AMDs next processor is going to use the same technology as Intel so that it won't overheat (also the pawprint will be large).

Heh, get an asus motherboard. My roomate has one that shutdown the computer once because the CPU was overheating...very cool (he's got a 1ghz thunderbird)...

Fatty Lumpkin
07-11-2002, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by gdorf
Don't trust local computer shops!! They are the devil!

I have had sooo many bad experiences with small computer stores.. once they tried to steal 64mb of Ram.. how dumb do they think I am?.. And then, when they tried to put it back in, they shocked the Motherboard and tried to blame it on me.

That sounds like something a computer shop by me would do. We were having problems with windows on my parent's computer, and both my brother and I were stumped. So my mom called the local computer shop and the guy said he could fix it. Yeah, he fixed it alright. He formatted the hard drive without even asking us. And the sun-of-a-bitch charged almost a hundred bucks for it!