PDA

View Full Version : Mod chips for dummies :o|

Hermit
07-10-2002, 03:25 AM
Would someone kindly bestow a little knowledge my way in regards to mod chips ?

I've been thinking about modding my PS2 ever since I got it. Just thought I'd join the craze that was so popular with the PSOne. I've done a good deal of searching without any real answers to my questions about it :(

All I'm looking for is a mod chip for a PS2 that will play back-ups of PSOne games. I don't have a DVD writer drive so I really don't care that much about getting PS2 backups.

So here are my few questions:
1) Every mod chip I've seen always has a footnote about requiring the Gameshark or Action Replay crap to play PS2 copies or whatever. Does the same go for the PSOne games ?

My understanding of this is... I'd need one of those gay $80 box of crap (Gameshark or ActionReplay, for the swap disc trick) to only play PS2 copies. PSOne copies work without them.

2) I'm not willing to alter my PS2 to solder the sucker in there. For the $300 I paid for it I'm not about to give myself the chance to fuck it up ;) Here is a cheap little one that does exactly what I'm looking for and nothing more, just the way I like it... SBox (http://www.modchip-sbox.com/ps2sbox.shtml)
All it says I need to play PSOne (CD-R) games is to plug it into a USB port, yummy. This any good ? I'm sure external chips are of lower quality and efficiency than internal ones but like I said, I'm not willing to alter the machine.

It sounds like the perfect cheap solution to my PSOne gaming needs. Any thoughts ?

Lone Wolf
07-10-2002, 03:30 AM
Send it to me and I'll do it for free.

Mwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Hermit
07-10-2002, 05:53 PM
Oh come on.... someone reply to this... Mottzy ? Menokh ? Anyone ?

mrz84
07-10-2002, 08:15 PM
ummm..... i like cheese? :kawaii: :sweat: ok maybe now's not the time.....

Menokh
07-10-2002, 10:16 PM
What the hell would I know about mod chips?
I may know alot about various computer and game console related stuff; but I don't know much about mod-chips, or installing them.

I mean I would like to get one when I get a PS2, but I wouldn't know what one to get.

Kalin
07-11-2002, 07:10 AM
Here's (http://www.lik-sang.com/catalog/product_info.php?category=41&products_id=1867&) what you want to get. It's not out just yet but it's comming soon. The only thing preventing mr from getting this one is that I don't know how to install it or anyone who can do it for me.

MottZilla
07-13-2002, 02:34 AM
You should get the "usb" mod. You solder i think 1 link wire and that's all. That or, better yet, get the Neo4 ps2 mod chip that will self boot any ps1 or ps2 game. And you should know not every ps2 game is on a DVD. Some are on regular CDs. Also if the game will fit on a CD you could get a rip for it likely.

But ya, if you aren't gonna solder anything and you want a mod, well, you are shit out of luck :p To mod it something must be soldered.

However if you had a PSOne you could "try" to import the PSone "bootdisc" which basically is an easy swap trick. However the disc would be useless in a ps2 unless you modified your CD tray.

So get a USB mod, solder the whole 1 wire. Plug in the thing, have fun. :p

Also, try looking around at http://www.modchip.com

I bought my original psx mod from them, and my psONE mod from them.

MottZilla
07-13-2002, 02:53 AM
Ah, they've gotten better since I last checked. This was marked absolutely no soldering required. You can buy online, here:

http://www.modchip.com/ps2/order_v456pnp.shtml

Have fun.

Edit:

You'll still need a gameshark. So go to their main site, ps2 section. Buy the bundle of the plug in chip and the GS. Also read all the information yourself.

Masamune
07-13-2002, 03:31 PM
soldering things make me nervous. i probably wouldn't have the balls to solder something to my PS2. my PS1 maybe...

MottZilla
07-13-2002, 04:40 PM
It's easy. Just remember, if you are in CA you could get cancer from the fumes of the solder burning? I remember reading that on a package, and I was like "good thing I'm not in CA!". =)

I think they believe it can cause it. Oh well.