PDA

View Full Version : Before asking a question, read the official quest tutorial

Jigglysaint
07-10-2002, 01:01 AM
http://zqtutorial.armageddongames.com/

This can help clear up some of the basic questions that a person might have.

ZeldaLord
07-16-2002, 09:01 AM
One tiny thing: That tutorial only tells you how to make quests that would look outdated today.
Who still uses screen 80 for caves?
Who still has perfectly square, 1-screen rooms in their dungeons?
Who still places all their items on the ground and not in chests?
Who still doesn't put crack on bombable walls?
Who still... you get the idea.

The main part of the tutorial needs updating, there are reader's additions but AlphaDawg really should make a second tutorial which should include:

BS/Newfirst tiles.
Multiple-screen and non-square dungeon rooms.
Multiple passageways in dungeons.
Houses.
Different room types (caves/houses that look different to eeach other).
Chests.
Cracked bombable walls.
Ripping tiles from ROMs and other quests.
Using new MIDIs and ripping them from quests.
Interesting puzzles.
Layers, trasparency, and other 163 new features.
Combo creation and animation (a combo list would also be handy, it's only a matter of time before we see newbies asking the difference between cave an cave 2).
Tile editing and creating.
Palettework.
Levels 1, 2 and 9 (level 2 having a custom boss).
A cave linking two different places.
Signs and people who talk to you (using the pit combo/eyeball trick).
A town.
Many new flags, enemies, items, ect.

It's a lot, I know, but ZC has gone a long way since 1.90, and, IMHO, the tutorial should reflect that.

Zelda_Warrior
07-22-2002, 08:47 PM
I still do evrything you just posted.Eventhough I use 1.92 build 104.

AlphaDawg
07-22-2002, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by ZeldaLord
One tiny thing: That tutorial only tells you how to make quests that would look outdated today.
Who still uses screen 80 for caves?
Who still has perfectly square, 1-screen rooms in their dungeons?
Who still places all their items on the ground and not in chests?
Who still doesn't put crack on bombable walls?
Who still... you get the idea.

The main part of the tutorial needs updating, there are reader's additions but AlphaDawg really should make a second tutorial which should include:

BS/Newfirst tiles.
Multiple-screen and non-square dungeon rooms.
Multiple passageways in dungeons.
Houses.
Different room types (caves/houses that look different to eeach other).
Chests.
Cracked bombable walls.
Ripping tiles from ROMs and other quests.
Using new MIDIs and ripping them from quests.
Interesting puzzles.
Layers, trasparency, and other 163 new features.
Combo creation and animation (a combo list would also be handy, it's only a matter of time before we see newbies asking the difference between cave an cave 2).
Tile editing and creating.
Palettework.
Levels 1, 2 and 9 (level 2 having a custom boss).
A cave linking two different places.
Signs and people who talk to you (using the pit combo/eyeball trick).
A town.
Many new flags, enemies, items, ect.

It's a lot, I know, but ZC has gone a long way since 1.90, and, IMHO, the tutorial should reflect that. Taken directly from the tutorial home page:
Though ZQuest is very well designed and user-friendly, it deals with rather complex material; thus, there is still room for confusion. The goal of this tutorial is to clear up most of these areas of confusion and help you create a basic quest.

A basic quest does not use any of the features you listed, in my opinion. And until someone makes a serious effort to help me with the tutorial (note the lukewarm response to my create-your-own-addition thread) then that is the opinion that will prevail.

In addition, in another topic I said I would accept user contributions for stuff exclusive to the 1.92 betas. However, I also made it clear I would not add any chapters myself for anything exclusive to the 1.92 betas until we see a final 1.92 release.

Above all else... folks, you have to realize that most of that tutorial is well over a year old. You old-timers out there may remember that it was originally created for a college web design course. My life then was far different than it is now. Back then, I was a college student with an easy-as-pie 20-hour a week job. Now I work an exhausting 40-hour a week dead-end retail job (not even what I went to college and got a degree for). When I get home, I rarely have the energy to stay awake, let alone do significant web page work. On my days off I find myself swamped with non-Zelda Classic related work. So I have little to no time then either.

I still take pride in my tutorial... it is basically my home in cyberspace. And I would love to do a complete overhaul of the tutorial once there is a final 1.92 (or 2.0) release. But the unfortunate truth is that, without significant help, it will not happen in this lifetime or the next.

So I would say to you ZeldaLord, ask not what the tutorial can do for you, ask what you can do for the tutorial. I have extended the hand (in a couple different ways) to those who wish to help. Submit some tutorials for some of the things you listed above, rather than complain about them not being there.

ZeldaLord
07-24-2002, 06:07 AM
Wow... that's alot, I had no idea you had to work so hard.

I do plan on making a new tutorial, probably with the next public beta (because there are many bugs that stop features I wanted to include (like Dmap intros) from working properly).

gdorf
08-06-2002, 02:26 AM
For the record, Alphadog, I learned from your tutorial and I eternally grateful for what you have done. ;D
Thanks for taking the time to make a contribution to ZC. I am willing to bet that without your tutorial many of its now-great users would have gotten frustrated and given up.. ThankS!

Quetzalcoatl
08-19-2002, 05:20 PM
I would love to help.. If only I knew anything about any of that shit :)

TheNewLink
08-31-2002, 04:10 AM
Alphadawg or not, SOMEBODY needs to make a new tutorial! Nobody (That includes me) wants to make an old, outdated-looking 'basic quest'. I'm not trying to offend Alphadawg or anything, but I bet everyone wants an updated tutorial.

NeoPuff
11-19-2002, 04:06 PM
I'd do it,if i only knew something about Zquest myself...:rolleyes:

Happyman
12-03-2002, 05:26 PM
I started that tutorial quite recently. You can find information about at PureZC and at my site (http://happyman.250free.com/) . Just click the link that says Ultimate ZQuest Tutorial.

Zeldageek
05-04-2003, 09:18 AM
How come it doesn't work??? :shakeno:

Linkafier
07-22-2003, 11:51 PM
That was helpful at first but I need a new tileset. :computer: