PDA

View Full Version : companies concerned about pirating! maybe they should actually sell their software!

3-Headed Monkey
07-09-2002, 11:47 PM
If video game companies are concerned with pirating, maybe they should actually have a halfway decent sales department! I can't find Suikoden 2 anywhere except illegally! Ebay isn't trustworthy, amazon has it listed but is out of stock, same with Gamestop, and Konami.com acts like it doesn't exist! Am I the only one with this problem or am I stupid or what?

I honestly think video game piracy would be better if games were easier to find.

Menokh
07-09-2002, 11:51 PM
You've got a good point.
But it will never happen. The majority of pirated games are old, and therefore won't be sold new again. But these companies love to bitch about it anyway, even though no money is being lost since they don't sell hem anymore.
As for newer games, they should still be sold. It is pathetic sometimes. And the prices don't help much either; there is a new PSX game(well 4 in one actually) called 'Arc the Lad Collection', but it costs 75 fucking dollars, and Working Designs wonders why it isn't selling well.

3-Headed Monkey
07-09-2002, 11:52 PM
tomorrow i'm going on a long hunt for suikoden 2... you know the kind where you go from store to store to store... i hate it, but i might find it this way

slothman
07-10-2002, 01:27 AM
I have a copy of that. Just send me your credit card number or wads of cash and I will send it to you. Don't forget your address. :D You could always get it "illegaly" until you do buy it. It's like instead of geting a ROM after you own the cart you get the ROM before. Of course you should still buy it but you don't necessarily need to buy it first.

Cyclone
07-10-2002, 01:30 AM
I dun't care. I just get the ROMs I want, and play. ;)

Cyclone

Mak-X
07-10-2002, 01:40 AM
Suikoden 2 sounds like the kind of game that only sells so much (appealing to a certain group) and only so many copies are made. I guess kinda like in the SNES days with some rpgs. I think Tactics Ogre for GBA had a limited amount of copies but it did really well.

gdorf
07-10-2002, 01:54 AM
That is the irony of it all though... The prices are so high because people pirate in the first place. If some people didn't pirate software, then all people could buy it at a decent price.

Having said that... I rarely buy games. I am a Softare Pirate.. EYAAR!

Gerudo
07-10-2002, 03:23 AM
you're also an oxymoron/hypocrite

slothman
07-10-2002, 03:34 AM
He's not oxymoron he's gdorf. :D I think prices are up because people are paying it. If enough people do priate it the prices could go down. I'm not sure how much game makers make selling a single game though. I know jewelry is marked up like 800%.

3-Headed Monkey
07-10-2002, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by slothman
I have a copy of that. Just send me your credit card number or wads of cash and I will send it to you. Don't forget your address. :D You could always get it "illegaly" until you do buy it. It's like instead of geting a ROM after you own the cart you get the ROM before. Of course you should still buy it but you don't necessarily need to buy it first.

I've already had this plan, but I'm having a hard time getting it online. I've searched DALnet on mIRC, but I'm not very good using it. But like you said, if I get it on there I'm still going to buy it legally.

Fatty Lumpkin
07-10-2002, 12:27 PM
I'm against pirating new games, but there's no way I'll find all the snes games I want.

Maybe if the companies actaully talked to normal people they'd realize that a lot of people like me can't afford to pay $50 for all the games I want, let alone $80.

Mini-Me
07-10-2002, 12:34 PM
I won't pirate the anything past SNES, but I have a lot of NES/SNES games... :kawaii:

Goat
07-10-2002, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Fatty Lumpkin
I'm against pirating new games, but there's no way I'll find all the snes games I want.

Maybe if the companies actaully talked to normal people they'd realize that a lot of people like me can't afford to pay $50 for all the games I want, let alone $80.

They really don't care about that because there are people who still buy them. They would rather have 20 people buy it at $75 and a hundred people not buy it, then 120 people biuy it for $20, quickest way to make a buck.

slothman
07-10-2002, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Goatboy
... They would rather have 20 people buy it at $75 and a hundred people not buy it, then 120 people biuy it for $20, quickest way to make a buck.
You math is a little off 75$ for 20 people is 1500$ while 120 people at 20$ is 2400$, more. But the general idea is still true. At least for most companies. Some are actually nice and do sell it lower so more people can buy more.

3-Headed Monkey
07-10-2002, 04:15 PM
Not many people would be interested, but as I was on my way to the mall today (to search desparately for Suikoden 2) we got a flat tire so we had to go home. So, then I caved and just got it off eBay. It was more than I expected ($55 + 4.50 shipping and handeling), but at least I'll get it.

Zeo
07-10-2002, 04:33 PM
Ya..Rockmna And Forte and SD3 are probly two of the most copied games in existance, because they were never realeased in the US.

Fiyerstorm
07-10-2002, 05:50 PM
I can't even find Final Fantasy 7 for the PC....still! Edios's store doesn't have it.... :cry:

Mak-X
07-10-2002, 08:06 PM
Final Fantasy 7 PC was in stores a long time ago in plenty amounts. Then it went down in price and stores don't have it in stock, though I've seen a new packaging like a "classic" or "rerelease" a few time. But that was a long time ago, its like a old game now. If my PC were better, I'd probably have beaten it by now, but it was just too slow (have to play full screen too).
Maybe if your lucky, check Babages, Gamestop, and Electronics Boutique and they still might have a copy.

Paradox
07-10-2002, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by Menokh
The majority of pirated games are old, and therefore won't be sold new again. But these companies love to bitch about it anyway, even though no money is being lost since they don't sell hem anymore.

uhh, no. i see TONS of pirated games that have recently come out...

Cyclone
07-11-2002, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by Goatboy
They really don't care about that because there are people who still buy them. They would rather have 20 people buy it at $75 and a hundred people not buy it, then 120 people biuy it for $20, quickest way to make a buck.

No, no...

They start it at the high end of the market. Then, later, they lower the price ever so slightly in attempts to appeal to the next group of frugal buyers. As the popularity of the game decreases, it will lower more.

The exception in any N64 Mario game. I found Mario Kart 64 brand-new recently, and discovered with shock that it was selling USED for the exact same price. Same with every other N64 Mario game; anything with Mario is expensive. Even Mario Golf is selling used for $59.99 (CDN. funds, but still about $40 U.S.).

Cyclone