PDA

View Full Version : Neverwinter Night's Aurora Campaign Builder

The Silent Assassin
07-06-2002, 04:27 PM
GameSpot's Neverwinter Nights Article (http://gamespot.com/gamespot/features/all/gamespotting/062802/p6_01.html)

After reading this...and being involved in the ZC community for so long..and seeing Open Zelda...is it possible to make a truly user-friendly campaign creator to allow total freedom within the game limits of a title? Especially for non-programmer types like myself. I'm sure people like OZ, DN, WL, and Repton would have no problem with the Aurora campaign builder, but what about the rest of us?

So, I ask you this...do you feel it is worth the time and effort of a gaming company to create an add on like Aurora for a game, or focus on other aspects like Multiplayer/Online/Single player mode? Do you feel, if you didn't have the necessary skills to create things with this add on, you could learn how to in ample time to make full use of it, or would the next installment be out by the time you could do anything decent?

Mak-X
07-06-2002, 08:42 PM
As I understand, the editor for Neverwinter Nights is the main part of the game because its suppose to emulate old pen and paper RPGs (Dungeons and Dragons) on the computer, giving you totally control to do what you want. So for this game, that's what its all about. Though I don't know a whole lot about the game, I think I would like to see some commercial releases for a base if you yourself can't make good campaigns.

I read that article too. I could probably do the stuff because I have knowledge of programming, and worked a little with Open Zelda and Graal. This kind of thing might be really good for teams.

Is it possible to make a totally user friendly game/editor where you can do anything, and everyone can use it? No. Scripting would be a major block, without scripting you can't do anything complicated. Zelda Classic doesn't use scripting and doesn't need it, its simple, its Zelda 1. If you had an idea of programming from anything, you could probably get into it.

Brian
07-06-2002, 11:37 PM
Neverwinter's is still probably a good deal easier then Morrowind's, the one I'm working with. However, Morrowind deals with a fully 3D enviorment, and an enourmous world which you have to locate your plug-in in. Neverwinter's conept of the Dungeon Master is very appealing to me, though.