PDA

View Full Version : Thank you for using microsoft windows update.... WTF?

Bloodstar64
07-06-2002, 01:48 PM
Thank you for your interest in Windows Update

Windows Update is the online extension of Windows that helps you get the most out of your computer.

The latest version of Windows Update is only available on computers that are running Microsoft Windows 2000 or Windows XP.

Well. Thats nice to know.

GuitarmanTim
07-06-2002, 01:54 PM
?!?!? are you kidding?

bill's cred is going negative with me right now.....

vegeta1215
07-06-2002, 02:00 PM
Thats one thing I really don't about Windows, the updater. Sure, it shows you what you need, but you have to reboot a ton of times before you finish all the updates. And so far, all the updated drivers I've tried usually screw the thing up instead of improve it.

So Windows update no longer works for earlier versions of Windows?

Toolie
07-06-2002, 02:01 PM
With XP you can download all the updates at once, and then restart whenever you want afterwards. There is no "download, restart, downlaod again, repeat" cycle. I'm giving Linux a chance before I bash it again, why don't you give XP a chance.

Fiyerstorm
07-06-2002, 02:04 PM
I was hoping for an update for just changing the look of old Windows to XP style. But bah!

Thunderbird
07-06-2002, 03:00 PM
I'm going to stick with my Win98 computer for awhile :P. I'd have Linux on it, except my system doesn't have another power supply plug for another HDD.

I have used XP. I don't like it :P. The activation is crap (heck, it was cracked before the OS shipped :P).

BTW Bloodstar, using the Windows Update shortcut from my Start Menu still works under 98 ;).

(EDIT)If for some reason you don't have the shortcut, go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com . That's what worked for me :).

DukenukemX
07-06-2002, 03:22 PM
Windows XP don't need to restart everytime you download because there aren't many important downloads. Like IE6 or DirectX8.

The best reason right now to get a higher version of Windows is to avoid those stupid downloads.

Don't worry give it time. ;)

vegeta1215
07-06-2002, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by Toolie
With XP you can download all the updates at once, and then restart whenever you want afterwards. There is no "download, restart, downlaod again, repeat" cycle. I'm giving Linux a chance before I bash it again, why don't you give XP a chance.

I was refering to Windows 98 and Windows 2000 when I mentioned having to reboot many times to get updates. My family still has these, so I often have to do the updates for them.

Why don't I give XP a chance? Because I don't have $200 to spend on it, nor a desire or need for it. Not to mention I don't have a spare computer to install it on.

Menokh
07-06-2002, 04:59 PM
I've given XP a chance.
Ive also tried windows 3.1, 95, 98, ME, 2000 and NT 4. So I have the experience to bash these. :tongue: IMO uprgrading to XP is not worth the money, I have found that I'm fine with ME for any windows program, and win4lin seems to handle most of them anyways.

As for windows update. Let me get this straight. If you have windows 9x or NT4 you can not use it at all? Am I right? If so that sucks horribly. MS is desperate. I can tell you right now, that if my take on this is correct, that they did this simply to get people to go out and buy windows XP upgrade and well upgrade. Plus I hardly ever used windows update anyways; about 75% of the updates on it are for IE or MS Messanger, it seems.
I'll still stick with ME until such a time as I no longer need windows for ZC. I'm trying everything I can think of to get the windows or DOS versions to work in Linux. I'll even try hacking away at winex if need be.

The Savior
07-06-2002, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by Thunderbird
I'm going to stick with my Win98 computer for awhile :P. I'd have Linux on it, except my system doesn't have another power supply plug for another HD.

Just make a partition on the HD that you have. The Mandrake installer even includes a partition-creater/

DukenukemX
07-06-2002, 06:14 PM
Windows update works for Win NT4. So long as you download IE6. Just go to tools then Windows update. I don't know if it still works now but I know it worked when I had it installed.

Thunderbird
07-06-2002, 07:57 PM
If you have IE4 or later, Win95 and WinNT4 can use Windows Update. Neither one of them come with it though (or is IE5 required? Not sure :P).

Mander
07-06-2002, 08:38 PM
Well the windows update still works for '98. i just tried it.

vegeta1215
07-07-2002, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by Mander
Well the windows update still works for '98. i just tried it.

Yeah, I just did a little while ago too.

I'll keep Windows 98 on hand, all the games I do own work for that, and I can't play all of them on Linux.

I wanna unzip the current ZC windows beta and send it to my friend steve to see if he can get it to work with wine or wineX. He's had a lot of experience with those. I bet it could be done.

Cyclone
07-07-2002, 03:03 AM
Notes that he can still use Windows Update, and decides to check out the Office 2000 updates.

Cyclone