PDA

View Full Version : Great quests & overworld puzzles

Ganonator
07-06-2002, 01:36 PM
I had a thought the other day while trying to draw a new overworld for my newest quest. Z1 had complete openness in its overworld, where you could go anywhere and enter any dungeon (permitting you had the whistle or the candle.) Most of the new quests i have played have puzzles on the overworld or have restrictions where you must have the sword or specific items to continue to the next dungeon. What do you prefer? openness, or restriction? LO, my first full quest, had a completely linear overworld, so that didn't matter either way.

ZeldaLord
07-06-2002, 02:23 PM
4, Like Lttp and Oot.

Ganonator
07-06-2002, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by ZeldaLord
4, Like Lttp and Oot.

I mean in ZC:thumbsup: - Lttp had an open light world, but a restricted dark. Oot had a complete restricted (must have letter to go to death mountain, must have bombs to go to zora domain, must have hookshot .. etc.)

ZeldaLord
07-06-2002, 02:52 PM
I like quests similar to Lttp.

Elemental Knight
07-06-2002, 02:59 PM
Aye, me too. I like quests that have an open enough Overworld to make it feel real, but restricted enough so that I don't wander into Level 9 by accident.

C-Dawg
07-06-2002, 04:13 PM
What I've always tried to do is make overworlds in linear order, but make sure that it's not just a PATH that's linear. Make a series of areas. In DoY, for instance, you can access 1/3 of the Waking World with no items... the first three items open up the rest of the overworld piece by piece. The dreams work similarly- the idea is that when Link gets a new item, he has access to a whole extra section of the map, but within that section there are plenty of places to go, people to see, and secrets to find. Sorta like Metroid.

-C

Happyman
07-06-2002, 10:06 PM
Metroid style is the best.

I like it BEST when getting a new item opens up a series of new areas, some are secrets, some are the next level.

Ganonator
07-07-2002, 08:11 PM
thanks guys. i appreciate that input - i'll start questing right away...