PDA

View Full Version : Pop up ads; ads with sound; ads with no close button- Gone too far?

3-Headed Monkey
07-05-2002, 11:48 PM
Don't you think ads have gone too far? Especially when it pops up right where you were about to click just in time to send you to some stupid web site about some dumb camera. I hate on Kazaa when there's some EXTREMELY loud sound that you have to right click and hit pause or mute. I also hate the ones with no close button. Normally, you can just hit Alt-F4, but sometimes they freeze up (I think intentionally) so you have to hit control-alt-delete, and once in awhile have to restart your computer.

Laws, please?

vegeta1215
07-05-2002, 11:58 PM
Pop-up adds don't bother me too much, Opera has a nice pop-up stopper that I use frequently.

However, I wish there were some anti-spam laws. I get so much spam in some of my accounts. In fact, I get so much, that I'm afraid to sign up for any online services that might expose my email to spammers and ruin my email account!

Drunken Tiger
07-06-2002, 12:01 AM
For the pop up ads couldnt you just close it via the tool taskbar??

3-Headed Monkey
07-06-2002, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by Drunken Tiger
For the pop up ads couldnt you just close it via the tool taskbar??

Usually, but that's not really the point, first of all, when they've frozen up, you can't, and second of all, I shouldn't really have to to begin with, don't you agree? It's just rediculous when you have the ads that bring up MORE ads when you close them.

Rijuhn
07-06-2002, 12:15 AM
Whenever I get a virus alert or "evil spam with no close button and freeze your computer half the time popups" I pray for the person who did that to die, or break a leg or something like that. I wonder if that makes me evil? Hmm.....

Drunken Tiger
07-06-2002, 12:23 AM
I dont get pop up ads for some reason.. Or spam email...:(

I guess im not special!!:lol:

3-Headed Monkey
07-06-2002, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by Rijuhn
Whenever I get a virus alert or "evil spam with no close button and freeze your computer half the time popups" I pray for the person who did that to die, or break a leg or something like that. I wonder if that makes me evil? Hmm.....

Every normal person thinks that, it's like wanting to kill people who call during dinner to see if you're interested in a different long distance service. I'd love to know how they always manage to call during the middle of a cutscene where you can't pause, and is always the most essential cutscene for the whole game.

In other words, you're not evil.

Yay, I'm Initiate now, whatever that is.

Raichu86
07-06-2002, 12:33 AM
I always keep my popups disabled in Opera. Sometimes I have to turn them on, but only for a site that has popups that open with links. I wish Opera would be smart and stop onLoad and onUnload popups, but not onClick ones. -_-

3-Headed Monkey
07-06-2002, 12:35 AM
I don't use Opera, I just don't like it, I guess it's just because I'm used to IE. I downloaded a Pop-up killer from Kazaa once, but it turned out to have a virus, I had to format the HD.

Rafnul
07-06-2002, 12:48 AM
Everytime a pop-up pops up, press alt-F4. If your computer makes a stupid sound, press ctrl-alt-delete and hope for the best.

3-Headed Monkey
07-06-2002, 12:57 AM
That's pretty much what I do, it just doesn't always work out well.

By the way, I love your sig, the Clinton thing.

Cyclone
07-06-2002, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by 3-Headed Monkey
Every normal person thinks that, it's like wanting to kill people who call during dinner to see if you're interested in a different long distance service.

If you ever get someone from MCI calling and go through to the last person on the line, please don't yell at me (or whoever it happens to be at the time). It wasn't my fault; I'm not actually MCI (either myself or whoever will state a different company name), but my job involves work related to MCI.

Cyclone

3-Headed Monkey
07-06-2002, 02:07 AM
As long as you're not the one that dials... or the first person I talk to.

Someday, I will be so good at mind games that every time someone does that, they will go home a nervous wreck.

Menokh
07-06-2002, 02:07 AM
Well Cyclone I don't think anyone will have to worry about MCI calls too much anymore, since the MCI/Worldcom scandal has started.

And all these IE only features used in pop-up ads was one of the top three reasons I stopped using it all together. Of course all browsers that support javascript(and therefore pop-ups) support pop-ups with sound. I now leave pop-ups disabled in Opera and only enable then when needed. I even disbled them in Mozilla for the unfrequent times that I use it.

Cyclone
07-06-2002, 02:33 AM
MCI/Worldcom scandals? That piques my interest; from what I knew, they merged into one company.

Cyclone

Menokh
07-06-2002, 02:40 AM
Originally posted by Cyclone
MCI/Worldcom scandals? That piques my interest; from what I knew, they merged into one company.

Cyclone

Yes they are one company.
but please tell me you've heard that they have been cooking their books for awhile now. they faked 4 billion dollrs in profits they never actualy made. As of this past monday(last time I checked the stock) their stock was tradin ay 6 cents a share.

It's not anythign new..

Cyclone
07-06-2002, 02:56 AM
Ah, well, all I know is that I get the happy duty of verifying orders for customers who blatantly say to me, "I told him that I didn't want it, so I don't know how I got to you..."

Another classic: "Oh, he said just keep answering yes and I'd get a free calling card. But I didn't think he was changing my long distance."

And one I learned about recently: "He told me I had to accept this change, or he'd lose his job. I don't want him to lose his job."

It's amazing what some of these reps. will do to make your life as a third-party agent a living nightmare. Ever wonder why they're doing so poorly? Now I know.

NEway, back on topic: yes, pop-ups suck. It's about my hundredth time or so saying it; I even flamed pop-ups in General Bitching, back in the day. Ah...

Cyclone