PDA

View Full Version : tiny complaint about topic digging and replying (please read before yelling at me)

Gerudo
07-05-2002, 07:10 PM
we all know digging up old topics, while not against the rules, isnt exactly happily looked at, as we have seen with various people in various topics... but its ok as long as you add a valid statement to the previous discussion, right?

this is a question about all the topics i see as of late from like a year ago, how people reply to them like they were made 5 minutes ago. now, here's the question:

when looking at old topics on the higher numbered pages on the boards, what compells you to post on a topic, say, 8 months or older?

i mean, dont get me wrong, im all for having fun and bringing back classic threads and all... but sometimes its just ...pointless :shrug:

Dechipher
07-05-2002, 07:14 PM
IT ISNT POINTLESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
/me slaps Gerudo
ITS POINTFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bsides, Its more interesting to bring up an older one than start a new one, because you get to seethe old replies...

Beldaran
07-05-2002, 07:18 PM
Who cares?

Fatty Lumpkin
07-05-2002, 08:14 PM
I don't care when other people dig up topics, but I get pissed when I accidently do, like in think tank.

Zeo
07-05-2002, 08:48 PM
its annoying to see a post by lets say.... Zelda64gld come up on page one just to see a "yep".

if its useful info and can revive the topic that's one thing..........if its pseudo-SPAM on the other hand, its just plain annoying.

obi
07-05-2002, 08:54 PM
if you want to stop people to stop reviveing said classic thread, then why don't you ask for such thread eg Zelda64gld's ones, to bemoved into ainchient history? just a though, butI don't care either way :shrug:

slothman
07-05-2002, 09:10 PM
I don't care. I usually don't even notice if I didn't bring it up. I do wonder "Didn't I see this someplace before?"

Gerudo
07-05-2002, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by Zeo
its annoying to see a post by lets say.... Zelda64gld come up on page one just to see a "yep".

if its useful info and can revive the topic that's one thing..........if its pseudo-SPAM on the other hand, its just plain annoying. i guess your right (big suprise, huh?) oh well... like so many others, i'll just 'grin and bear it... :shrug:

King Link
07-05-2002, 09:29 PM
I don't usually scroll through old posts except to remember older posting times.

I don't usually bring back old topics. Well, actually I don't think I ever have. I only reply to older topics if they have been brought back and I have something decent or intellectual to say regarding the topic.

Otherwise, I usually skip over it, especially when the topic is something like eight months old. You don't want to clog up a topic with meaningless posts. Especially with the classics.

Brian
07-05-2002, 10:48 PM
Though there's never really been an official rule on the topic (some mods acted against it once but were latered told they were wrong by an admin), its generally a good guideline not to revive very old topics. They're kind of like ancient history or the like. It would be much more polite to start a new thread, and if you really want it to be connected to the older thread, simply put in a link.

Raichu86
07-05-2002, 11:03 PM
I don't reply to topics farther down than page 2. ;)

The only thing that bothers me about the revived ancient topics is I think they're new at first. That one in Quest A/D about the release of Fantasy Hyrule freaked me out. :sweat:

Rijuhn
07-05-2002, 11:08 PM
It really pisses me off unless it had a point. Like a prediction came true, or it's a classic. I especially hate the newest one brought up that has Zelda65Gld, because for the first few minutes I thought he had come back. IMO there is one exception to bringing up old stuff, that is DC's Pics thread ;)

Drunken Tiger
07-05-2002, 11:44 PM
I dont really care i look at all the topics anyways.... But some of those Zelda64Gld ones should be moved to AH!!:lol:

Sugar
07-06-2002, 01:24 AM
I personally dont find it annoying at all.....
but i hate it when I'm looking at old topics from about a month ago or something and I accidently post in it.....
i think its fun to look back and see what people posted about

Dechipher
07-06-2002, 10:08 AM
WHO is Zelda65Gld ?

ZeldaLord
07-06-2002, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Fatty Lumpkin
I don't care when other people dig up topics, but I get pissed when I accidently do, like in think tank.

*Ahem* You can't "accidentally" dig up an old topic that's on page 10...

Dechipher
07-06-2002, 10:13 AM
what about sorting by poster? It might be easy to lose track of dates there...

Darunia
07-06-2002, 12:19 PM

Remember check the last post date. Easy, huh?

WHO is Zelda65Gld ?

DECHIPHER is confused!
DECHIPER hurt himself in his confusion!

He is Z64gld's older brother.

Coming back to topic...

I personally HATE revive old topics.
Isn't so hard take the link to the topic, do a new thread and adress the old one.
I also think.. why revive them? Aye, we have like 20-30 new topics daily in GD.. reply to they.

In another board, some people did almost of all their posts reviving old topics, many times for nothing, and rarely with good replies. When I asked for DON'T REVIVE them, I got flamed. Also, NO ONE agreed with me.
Of course, I leaved.

Quick Reply needs a QUOTE button

Breaker
07-06-2002, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Dechipher

I'm glad you don't run these forums. :shrug:

Cyclone
07-07-2002, 02:03 AM
Reads one-third of the thread.

Yells at Gerudo.

Walks over to the next topic, feeling rather quaint.

Cyclone