PDA

View Full Version : Requeim, Sonnet, Etude?

Dechipher
07-05-2002, 02:06 AM
Ok, yes, I am a musician, but still, everyone needs help.... I'm working on a series of Midis, an dI need help categorizing them...
They are allvery orchestral and stuff...but how do Requeims usually go? and sonnets, etc.
any help is appreciated.

inori
07-05-2002, 02:13 AM
Last I checked, a sonnet was a poem, not a song.

As far as the others, not sure. You could look for definitions in a dictionary or online.

Dechipher
07-05-2002, 02:15 AM
I thought a sonnet could have music too...
I'm looking fo rthe definitions of the songs name's in Oot and MM...

AeroZeplyn
07-05-2002, 03:31 AM
a sonnet is a 14-line poem with 10 syllables per line. the rhyme sequence is abab cdcd efef gg ... a requiem is like silence. orr... "any grand musical composition" ... for honoring people's death. you dont make something that "sounds" like an etude. so basically a song with an iambic pentameter rhythm would have a rhythm going down...up...down...up...or starting up...down...blah.... kind of like the ballroom dance song in final fantasy 8 ("waltz for the moon").

if you wanted a "requiem" sound... it'd be like... very low... kind of scary sounding... and perhaps fast paced? anything low with lots of tremlos (like violin stuff perhaps) sounds scary >) ... unless you're using a major scale. but then again that still might sound happy in a scary way.

if you want some 'etude' sound... get some chick to sing some sappy lyrics; have her practically moaning them in some huge grief. all about some person that died.

i haven't been on this board forever. you're all retarded. ^_^
-AeroZ

GuitarmanTim
07-05-2002, 06:04 AM
A requiem is a song written for the death of a person, it is played at the funeral (sp?) of that person. It's an old thing that only rich people did. They hired a good composer to write a requiem for them. So, a requiem is mostly a sad song, lots of minor chords, low tones, lots of mourning (sp?). That how you know something is a requiem (the title may help too).

Saffith
07-05-2002, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by AeroZeplyn
if you want some 'etude' sound... get some chick to sing some sappy lyrics; have her practically moaning them in some huge grief. all about some person that died.
The hell...?

An étude is a song made for practicing a particular point of technique, but generally also played for being a good song nonetheless...

AeroZeplyn
07-05-2002, 07:01 PM
no shite. people dont get my sarcasm :\

inori
07-05-2002, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by AeroZeplyn
no shite. people dont get my sarcasm :\

Sarcasm's kind of hard to get online, where we can't see your face or hear your emotions. When all we have to go by is the text on the screen, it's hard to tell. :shrug:

AeroZeplyn
07-05-2002, 07:15 PM
well if you didn't notice... i stated what they were before the ending paragraphs, where i kind of twisted their meanings.

mwa hahaha ;D
-AeroZ