PDA

View Full Version : ZHQ's New Killer Ap

The Silent Assassin
07-04-2002, 03:32 PM
As you may or may not know, when I am done here on AGN, my next plan is to revive ZHQ. I am currently organizing my files and material for the place, and plan to contact some people for staff work, and then will begin work this fall when I return to college.

But...the suprise.

The real meat of this site will be the Interactive Story I am doing. Well, more like I'm directing 4 of my graduate friends on a project that will earn them credit, while helping me out (and they get paid).

Basically, it will be entirely in Flash. But, if you've seen DVD menus...imagine this:

On my site, when you click the Interactive Story, a window opens. You're racing across Hyrule Field, in 3D, and approach Hyrule Castle. The gate opens, you go in, race by some Market views, and then enter the castle itself. You reach a room, and a navigation map appears. With your mouse, you highlight what you want: Intro, Join, Rules, FAQ, Database Records (members, images, etc), and a list of Locations to go join.

You can't go anywhere unless you join. You have a username/password. It's like AGN...you get an avatar, a rank (class...not dependent upon a variable like posts) and your "equipment".

You go to different areas, and join the Interactive Story. Now, you can be any class of Hyrule...Gerudo, Hylian, Zora, Sheikah, Kokiri, Deku, Monster, etc. You have a home point, and you can only go to certain areas (Like, monsters are the "Dark Elves" from EQ in this game...hated by all). Within each area, you can interact with people, trade, go to shops and bars, and duel people. When you chose an area to go to, a nice flash shows you journeying there. When you arrive, you can click the flash menu of locations, and you'll go there with another nice movie scene.

Well, it's all complicated...but going into a shop opens up the "shop" menu. Dueling opens the "duel" menu. There's rule and etc that are explained in the "rules" and "commands" areas.

As for the story, there are Scribes. Each area has a scribe, and there is a scribe master. They dictate the story, and flow of events according to the Scribe master's specifications.

So if a war between the Gerudo and Sheikah breaks out, restrictions to each area are turned off, and dueling between a Gerudo and Sheikah member...the results are counted as a "point". If you lose, say...you can't go back...you're restricted, but the winner goes on. When time is up...whoever has the most "victory points" (level of difficutly of battle = more points), wins the war.

The Scribe masters will then make up a "story" to be incorporated with the changes that will result.

Sounds a lot like MMORPGs, well it is...but it's all text based with images and a 'menu' that's interactive. Well, navigation has some cool "flash" movies, but when you're typing and doing stuff, nothing's really going on visually.

As of now, we do not have any sort of leveling system. We do not know if we want this or not...it might get too complicated. We are currently trying to implement a guild type system. Our next goal will be "quests" for individuals to go on. And hopefully by the time we launch, we'll have a "group" system...but this might not be possible. Eventually, if there's enough time before they finish grad school and have to present this project, they'll work on the leveling system.

Of course, I'm just directing this...I've done no coding or physical work.

The expected completion date of this is Spring 2003, that's when their presentation is.

Cambooty
07-04-2002, 03:36 PM
Wow, I can't wait for that. It sucks that until doesn't come out until 2003.

Elemental Knight
07-04-2002, 03:39 PM
Sounds grand. I can't wait to see.

ZeldaLord
07-04-2002, 03:40 PM
Great idea, exept flash takes ages to load.

The Silent Assassin
07-04-2002, 03:43 PM
Well, Flash was the cheapest thing and most plausible to do it in within the alloted time. Also, Flash is very compatible with XML, which is making it easier for them.

Darunia
07-04-2002, 03:46 PM
There it will be Gorons too? (Unexpected stupid question of the day)

Dark_Xero
07-04-2002, 03:48 PM
I can't wait for it, though it prolly won't be open to the public till summer, since you said their presentation isn't till next spring, so it might need a bit more work.

Jemsee
07-04-2002, 03:51 PM
This sounds nice.
What does it mean "When I'm done here at AGN"?
This to take place after 10k?
Will you leave for good and devote your time to this enterprize?

The Silent Assassin
07-04-2002, 03:52 PM
Yes, there will be Gorons.

Yeah...we will be testing it out all throughout the creation process. When they turn if over to me, they'll show me how to run the stuff, do basic housekeeping, and they'll always lend a hand if I need it.

As for public, well...it will stay that was as long as I can afford it. Unfortunately...if we come to the conclusion it will be to costly to run out of pocket, we'll either have to restrict users to maintain it, or just not include it.

Dark_Xero
07-04-2002, 03:53 PM
wouldn't that just suck :( when you do go, make sure to stop in every once in a while

The Silent Assassin
07-04-2002, 03:57 PM
Well, if you're wondering why they're wasting their time on this besides the credit, it's not related to "zelda" just yet. No names and stuff. The "graphics" in the Flash do look like Ocarina of Time's (sort of), and by the end, will be looking like professional DVD 3D quality. But as far as classes and such...we're using generic terms for now. The housekeeping part...which they'll teach me, is updating names, images, and other junk so I can remake it to look like Zelda.

So, there' working on the engine and generic layout. I'll be adding in the Zelda part if it will work. If not, they might sell the engine to a sight to use.

AtmaWeapon
07-04-2002, 04:34 PM
Very very nice. You'll see me drop in when this sets up. I'm very interested.

Elemental Knight
07-04-2002, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by AtmaWeapon
Very very nice. You'll see me drop in when this sets up. I'm very interested.

Me too.

Mak-X
07-04-2002, 09:43 PM
Interesting.

Nonsensical
07-04-2002, 10:03 PM
I hope you don't lose the motivation for this ambitious project. It certainly does sound appealing..

plith
07-04-2002, 10:42 PM
I would say a credit and some money might be motivation enough, but then again how would I know.