PDA

View Full Version : Using "print screen" while watching vidoes w/quicktime

Foxy
07-03-2002, 05:00 PM
Alright folks, I've got a question for all you computer-savvy people.

I'm trying to get pictures from the "Reign of Fire" trailer that I'm downloading from the official website. So I download the trailer, and view it through Quicktime. I hit "print screen" when the frame shows up with the pic I want, and I've tried this both while the trailer was actually playing & also by simply moving the scroll bar to where I want it. Then I open up Paint Shop Pro, and hit "Paste as New Image".

This is where the problem occurs. Instead of it coming out as a solid picture that I can crop and work with...I get an image that looks like I'm actually dragging a square around the screen. If I move the "image" box to the right, it shows the right side of the movie screen. If I move the image box to the left, it shows the left side of the movie screen. It's not just a plain picture. I can't do anything with it. If I try to save it as a .jpg or .gif, it just shows up as a black box.

CAN ANYONE HELP ME?!? What's the problem? Even JJ can't seem to figure it out. :(

Hermit
07-03-2002, 05:29 PM
Print Screen is about as primitive as you can get for saving screen captures no matter what it's for. I'd suggest this...
Howies Funware Screen Capture (http://www.howiesfunware.com/ScreenCp.exe)
(Right Click, Save Target As...)
This is all I've ever had to use for screen capturing, it's perfect ;)
Saves entire screen as bmp or jpg. Then just cut out what you don't want to use and edit as you please. You'll be using F12 for taking the pics so no more Print Screen crap for ya either :)
Simple and small, enjoy!

And by the way... I liked Ms. Kitty better as your avatar ;)

The Savior
07-03-2002, 05:51 PM
It's not just quicktime that does that, Winamp has the same restriction. Thanks for the tip, Hermit!

Foxy
07-03-2002, 06:09 PM
ummm...ok...I installed it and everything, and it takes the pic just fine but when I go to look at it in PSP, all I can see is my desktop with a black box - there's no picture from the movie trailer. What the heck!

obi
07-03-2002, 06:34 PM
Okay, I have found only one solution to this problem - you are trying to get a picture from a movie right?
Get a copy of Power DVD or WinDVD ( I don't know about others but these do work) they have a built in function which allows them to take pictures from movies they play. I use Power DVD and I think the button is either 'P' or 'C', bets to check the help file if none of those work.
here is the power DVD website - http://www.gocyberlink.com/english/products/product_main.jsp?ProdId=28

The trial version should have the snapshot feature. :)

OBI

EDIT - oh yeah, if you can't open the file by convetional methods in Power DVD, just drag it in to the main window. Hope it works!

Fiyerstorm
07-03-2002, 06:40 PM
Yea, use Power DVD, that's how I got that albino chick from my DVD of 'Not Another Teen Movie'.

The Silent Assassin
07-03-2002, 11:24 PM
I've had this problem with Windows Media Player. What I had to do...was resize the viewing area to a smaller resolution manually, and then re-take the screen shot. On the defualt set resolutions, it would come out black.

Fiyerstorm
07-04-2002, 01:26 AM
Ah, HyperSnapDX...It can take media player files. I'm pretty sure it can take Quicktime.