Comparing Palm Pilots to brains [Archive] - Armageddon Games Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Comparing Palm Pilots to brains

Michaelk88
07-03-2002, 06:38 AM
They both have:
[list=1]
Memory that stops after 1 min or 2.
Low processing cababilties(Palm: It does. Our Brains: I dont think it uses the power like a PC. Your brain is more like a computer for a car, It has limited binary data(senses and other stuff that that is binary)
I have a theroy that the brain runs on 1s and 0s, that is the only way that data is passed. If you look at a live source code for your brain, you would never understand a single thing, because it is in random codes(+û¦S[%•+ª___bOÃ*_§_#+ìÖ+782_1æTü)...
so do palms, their code(in .prc file) is complex too...
[/list=1]

AtmaWeapon
07-03-2002, 10:49 AM
Actually, I have heard that the brain is estimated to operate at 4Thz. That's 4 terahertz, or 4000Ghz.

It kind of makes sense, too. Think about it. When I hear a song, I can identify it usually from just the first 10 seconds. That means my brain is able to take that audio data and compare it to the database of all music I've ever heard and match it to the correct song in just a few seconds. Same thing with a person's voice or face, your brain is able to compare the sound or visual data to your entire experience and make a match.

Try getting a Palm to do that.

A Palm, or any computer for that matter, can do mathematical operations much faster than a human brain, but there are many things a computer cannot do.

3-Headed Monkey
07-03-2002, 10:53 AM
I guess it all depends what exactly what you're doing. I know I can identify most episodes of Frasier by the first line and setting, but if I don't have my Palm Pilot with me at school it would end up being a bad day.

Tygore
07-03-2002, 10:55 AM
Actually, I know some people who are dumber than palm pilots.

Nick
07-03-2002, 11:46 AM
"Coming up next, comparing monkeys with Microsoft Word." -_-

Ok, seriously, what a thing to compare. Brains and palm pilots.

Brains have something called emotions (whether it be anger or happiness or sadness). I don't see any palm pilots with those. Also, noone can hack brains at the moment (unless I missed something). -_-

Brains are not even close to palm pilots IMO. -_-

AlphaDawg
07-03-2002, 11:52 AM
Not to mention humans have had that speech-recognition thing down for at least the last few thousand years, while it may be that many more until any computer comes close to it.

What's with your obsession with Palm Pilots anyway, Mr. Classci? I haven't seen a Palm Pilot or human brain that can explain that.

EDIT: And another thing, if you want to host a website off your own computer remember to leave the damn thing turned on.

Elemental Knight
07-03-2002, 11:54 AM
Brains are much better at multitasking than any computer. For example...

A computer can...

Be running it's OS, a browser, a Word processor, and maybe a music player before it overloads.

A human can...

Have his heart beating, his lungs diverting oxygen, his diaphram moving up and down, his vocal cords creating audio, write down a mental note to "feed the cat", and use his arms and legs in conjunction with his inner ear to catch a ball moving at a variable velocity due to factors like wind and friction and still have plenty of RAM to spare.

obi
07-03-2002, 01:14 PM
Brain hacking, sounds a bit like Hypnotisim. Accessing your subconcious mind leaving only experiences to be found.

Hacking a palm/pc, in most cases illegal. Can allow a multiple of things depending on what is exactly hacked.

LittleBuddy
07-03-2002, 02:35 PM
sure, the brain has multitasking, but look at the computer ;)

A computer can:
have a program which operates an artificial heart,
power a lung machine(what are those called?),
recognize music(it's a fact, I've read about programs comparing different peoples music in databases, much like we do.),
write a physical note on a printer to feed the cat( :tongue: ),
beat the worlds best chess player at his own game(goddamn supercomputers...)
and still close in the exactly right(wrong) time when you're in a hurry.

A human brain can:
Not run an OS,
not empower an artificial lung machine, unless it's hand driven,
not beat the latest supercomputer at chess,
not store every vocal of a hundred songs in it's memory.
not black out in the exactly right time to avoid having to go through a meeting when your computer crashed earlier
and not tell it's own heart to stop when you feel like it

bleh! :tongue:

Linus

slothman
07-03-2002, 03:23 PM
I think brains are just fads and will soon be fed to the zombies, mmm brains. The brain does seem to be binary though. A neuron can either be firing or not firing. But it is definately faster than a pilot since it has 100 billion "transisters" more than any processer I know. Of course it doesn't have a backlight which is always cool.

Elemental Knight
07-03-2002, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by LittleBuddy
and not tell it's own heart to stop when you feel like it

It's possible, actually; it's just that most people never learn how.

LittleBuddy
07-03-2002, 03:43 PM
That would be useful on a hard exam... ;)

Linus

obi
07-03-2002, 04:04 PM

A human brain can:
Not run an OS,~~ It can, it's called Hormone2000
not empower an artificial lung machine, unless it's hand driven,~~why would it want to? it has a pair of lungs of it's own
not beat the latest supercomputer at chess,~~It's been done before, because we cheated :badrazz:
not store every vocal of a hundred songs in it's memory.~~ Actually, it does that in it's subconsious memory, we just can't acsess it consiously
not black out in the exactly right time to avoid having to go through a meeting when your computer crashed earlier~~:shrug:
and not tell it's own heart to stop when you feel like it~~ one word - suicide

Thats all I can say...

DukenukemX
07-03-2002, 04:24 PM
I was watching the Discovery channel and they say the brain works in a anolog fashion. Not digital.

Also if you think about it the brain has two CPUs instead of one. The left brain and the right brain.

This lady on Discovery had bad epilepsy. So to cure her they cut the brain in half. She was cured of epilepsy but funny stuff happens to her.

With one hand she could be putting on one pair of shorts and the other hand another pair. She would not realize this is going on until she is done. :odd:

This shows the brain is two CPUs instead of one.

Ohh and the heart is not connected to the brain. It has it's own power supply.

LittleBuddy
07-03-2002, 05:53 PM
obi, I said the *latest* supercomputer, I think it's called the *deep blue*, not sure though...
And a computer can cheat too, it's just not programmed that way :tongue:
Hormone2000 - Right...
*we just can't access it...* - then it's just taking up space, should be deleted...
and for the second last one, note the similarity to the computer one, It crashes in the exactly wrong time, but we can't crash even if we want to. clear now? ;)
*one word - suicide* - but that wouldn't be useful, we couldn't redo an exam when we had practiced afterwards then, could we?

Dkx - Right now I'm thinking some really freakish things about this woman, if it was to be put to words I'd be banned :tongue: ;)

Linus

Masamune
07-03-2002, 06:12 PM
when my computer trys to multitask too many things, it crashes. when i try to multitask i scream real loud and fall on the ground.

Saffith
07-03-2002, 06:27 PM
obi, I said the *latest* supercomputer, I think it's called the *deep blue*, not sure though...
Does Deep Blue do anything besides play chess? That's the only thing it's well-known for, at least...

Yeah, Kasparov beat Deep Blue in a rematch. There's even a book about it, illustrating every move from every game.

AlphaDawg
07-03-2002, 10:01 PM
Certainly Deep Blue, like all computers, was programmed by a human... right or wrong?

Michaelk88
07-04-2002, 12:19 PM
The thing is that your brain cannot calculate a big math problem.

say this for ex.,

===
x

You can do 3 or 2 of these if your "smart"

but on the 4th one it freezes up and looses it, forever until it gets back like a hotsync.

And when I try to imagine a GUI powerd OS(like windows) i can only see one part of the "display" and not just see the whole thing. And it slows down after 2 or 3 mins.

Your brain does NOT connect to the I-net

Infact, if we all had linux installed on the brain, we can just go to a place and install it. (Windows will not be welcome in there) There would just be a cd and floopy we can connect to.

We can have everything in there, and even an alarm clock that wakes you up just by the body clock, which there would be a driver on it to make it snif the time off it...

About the internet:
It would be wireless or sattelite or 802.11b(whichever is there).
your brain would be SSL enabled all the time so the data would be secure and not be breakable because the main OS and vital systems would be seprate from the server via firewall.

The server will cash in on the body clock too, but no "setting" permissions.

You brain will have the most advanced firewall in the whole world,trippled in the line to the sever and the server will be proteced on the wirless line with a laser controled data shut-off(like a digital surge protector.)(a micro chip would detect(on other side for you) hacks from outside of you. when the chip detects it it would send a laser beam 3 yards to a sensor that would power a ac/dc motor to shut it off.

And when you get a fever, it would detect it and would tell the immune sys that the body has to get rid of this. All the software will be tested and be put on that site. Why? So there would be not exploit programs. This server would be on the other side of all of the laser-controled firewalls.