PDA

View Full Version : Castlevania.....w00t!

Fiyerstorm
07-01-2002, 12:42 PM
I started playing Castlevania 1 for NES. I never played the side scrolling Castlevanias before....they kick ass! Even though I suck at it, I'm gonna keep trying. Level 1's music is catchy too! I need to buy all the Castlevanias for GBA now. What do you think of it?

mrz84
07-01-2002, 01:01 PM
the 1st one easy to beat up til death. he was one hard little terd. drac was easy though. :kawaii: i haven't finished two cause the directions to drac's castle in every walkthrough i read are too confusing. 3 i haven't finished either since for some reason my emulator likes to mess around and cause the grapghics to go :goofy: on me. now the backgrounds shifts and its hard to tell where pits are and where solid ground is. :kawaii: other than that, i've finished all of the castlevanias other than the 64 ones cause i was busy with other things. :kawaii:

slothman
07-01-2002, 02:08 PM
I could get to the Grim Reaper pretty easily. He was a little hard though. I never did beat Dracula though. He just kept coming back after I "killed" him.

Kairyu
07-01-2002, 02:40 PM
I'm suprised Dracula hasn't posted here yet. Yeah, the early Castlevania series was awesome, but satanically hard in many cases for most people. Every time I go back to an older one, though, I either give up after dying 10-something times on the first level, or get almost twice as far as I did the last time I played. Weird. Anyway, the only Castlevania GBA game out is of the Super Metroid style-Explore a single, huge area divided into smaller sections... but with experience points and such. Really worth it. And Dracula's Curse was the first Castlevania game I ever played... The puzzles actually scared me so much that I was afraid of the game (Mainly because I had no clue what to do after I got the Red Crystal... Blast it...) I don't know why not being able to beat a game's puzzles would scare me more than actual monsters, but somehow it did... Ah well. mrz84, did you try kneeling at a lake at the right edge of the map with the blue crystal equipped? How about at a mountain on the far left edge with the Red Crystal equipped? You need to kneel until something happens, usually 10 or so seconds. Or was it something else stumping you?

Qusetonui
07-01-2002, 04:16 PM
Toughest bosses melee (second quest):

The Mummy Men were a little tougher than last time. I won this by throwing a dagger and alternated it with my Chain Mace and they were unwrapped and slain. They weren't too much of a threat, because they took four hits instead of the usual three hits they did in the second.

Frankenstein's Monster was annoying. Igor seemed to spit fireballs this time and F.M. was moving very fast (I used daggers to defeat him this time, I know he's suspectable to the Holy Water). I decided to throw daggers and use the trusty mace, and he went down. I stunned Igor and Frankenstein's Monster went down.

Death was an annoyance... especially in the second quest (his sickles seem to regenerate). I could beat him with a cross faster than anything. Dodge his sickles, use the cross, and bash him (be a bit more defenseful with this, as he takes 4 hearts).

I had no problems with Dracula, because he remained the same, but his second form was very tough. Now sometimes, he jumps twice! I kept him from jumping with Holy Water and pecked him with a whip. Then I defeated him with no problems.

The ending may not be perfect, but some of the names are off (some way off).

Final Rating: 9.4 (out of ten): Comments: A masterpiece that will send Simon Belmont from the courtyard to the top of the Count's tower. Be prepared for the toughest fight (Death - why him? Heheh...) in history...

MottZilla
07-01-2002, 04:59 PM
I reccomend if you want to play CastleVania 3 on an emulator, get FCE Ultra from www.zophar.net

It will emulate the game perfectly.

I love CV. Sometime I'll have to actually play through and finish CV2. ;)

vegeta1215
07-01-2002, 06:10 PM
I didn't play the first one too much. I played the second one a bit, and it freaked my out.

But, COTM (for GBA) has me hooked, and I'm going to be playing more Castlevania games in the future.

The Savior
07-01-2002, 06:25 PM
I've gotten/done everything in COTM except the Unicorn card (I really, really don't want to have to go through the battle arena again to get it) and I haven't killed Dracula.

Dracula
07-01-2002, 06:35 PM
Sorry I'm late, guys... Castlevania kicks ass! The NES one is a classic, no doubts at all. But, if you guys wanna REAL challenge, check "Vampire Killer" for the old MSX2. Read my review at Gamefaqs HERE (http://www.gamefaqs.com/computer/msx/review/R35561.html)

vegeta1215
07-01-2002, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by The Savior
I've gotten/done everything in COTM except the Unicorn card (I really, really don't want to have to go through the battle arena again to get it) and I haven't killed Dracula.

I've gotten all the cards, the best armor and items, finished the battle arena, and got 100% on the map for all the modes:
-Vampire Killer (default mode)
-Magician
-Fighter
-Shooter
-Thief

The extra modes are really fun. Magician and Fighter are pretty easy (esp Fighter), but Shooter is tough, and Thief is even harder. And yes, I have played this game to death, lol :)

Maverick_Zero
07-01-2002, 07:22 PM
I sucked at the side scroller castlevania's except for this one in particular we rented when I was a little kid, I don't know which one or for what system it was. I kicked ass on the first one for the 64

Fiyerstorm
07-01-2002, 10:22 PM
I own the 3-D, third person Castlevanias. Grr...I wish I hadn't sold my 64, now I wanna play Castlevania 64. o:

Dracula
07-01-2002, 10:26 PM
The 64 ones were easy. Though, the Tower of Science was cool. It had some sorta 1800's Metal Gear Solid feel to it.

Hey, MaverickZero, can you look around here (http://www.classicgaming.com/castlevania/games.htm) to see which one you're talking about? I'm kinda curious.

Daarkseid
07-02-2002, 12:08 AM
Castlevania is a great series... I used to play Castlevania 3 on my friends NES and Super Castlevania IV on my SNES all the time. But last summer I got CotM, and I just got hooked on Castlevania. I downloaded all the roms I could(though I haven't gotten Vampire Killer), I got Castlevania: Chronicles for the PSX. And a few weeks ago, I finally got a near perfect burn of Dracula X: Rondo of Blood(the best Castlevania, in my opinion). I've also played Haunted Castle on MAME, which is not very easy at all...

I still have the Game Boy versions, and Symphony of the Night left to play, as well as Vampire Killer. And then the upcoming Game Boy Advance game too.

Warlock
07-02-2002, 12:25 AM
Castlevania 2 was really fun.. that's the only old one I actually own.. well.. I DO have the PC version of Castlevania 1 -- pretty much identical to the NES version I believe, 'sides the ability to jack DOWN the graphics if your card was really ghetto -- and I'm talking like pre-VGA.. not even SVGA support in there (this was a DOS title btw, and realllllllly old).. But anyways, I bought it off my friend for like $5 :D haha.. I don't think he wanted to even really sell it that much, but I convinced him :)

Anyways, if you want a guide, NES Atlas is the best.. It has the first three games in it. I used it for Castlevania 2 a lot. I never really had trouble finding Castlevania (in other words, Dracula) in that one, but it is a bitch to get there.. it is just a long ways out of the way. I think it involved going right a lot from that first town. I don't remember exactly.. I know there were some empty areas, and a reallllly tiny town on the way (think it was grey, and it had like three doors and no stairs)

Mak-X
07-02-2002, 01:41 AM
I never played any of the Castlevanias for the NES, but I was interested in playing Castlevania 3. I remember seeing the magazine ad for it and reading about it and it looked like a good game. I liked the part about being able to play 3 other characters and using their abilities.

The first Castlevania I got to play, and I've beaten is Dracula X for SNES. I really like that first stage with the burning town and the music. The graphics were colorful, but not colorful in a rainbow color way, but very bright good looking. I just really liked all that red fire and the setting of the town. You fought skeletons, and there's a part where you have to run from a goat like monster. The music is good too. I liked the second stage where it begins on the bridge to the castle and its crumbled away, leaving only platforms. At the start of the stage the sun comes up to the sound of the first notes of the music which was a nice effect. I liked this music too. I beat Dracula X and got 2 of the 3 endings, the worst one, and the one where you rescue Maria. I never figured out how to rescue Annetta and I would always fight her in the clocktower where she gets possessed. Anyone know how to save her? I want to get Dracula X for SNES. (yes I know Daarkseid, the PC Engine one it was made from was far superior :) )

I rented Castlevania 64 for Nintendo 64 and really got into that. I liked the whole atmosphere and the way the levels were set up. They seemed open and big within each level of the game. My favorite are of the game is the Villa. After you get through the initial drawbridge area and head towards the mansion, it gets good. You get attacked by several Cerberuses near the front gates that you have to fight off. Before the Villa Mansion is a small graveyard, which makes more sense after you play Legacy of Darkness. Entering the Mansion, you meet your first vampire in the game, and he comes off a wall looking all vicious. I liked the parts dealing with Rosa and Vincient. I kinda got worried or surprised when Vincient first appeared. The one room where you go in and a villager rushes in was neat. They build that part up with the rose petal falling and the keyboard playing, and then moving the camera over to see the mirrior and Reindhardt realizes the "villager" has no reflection and turns around to see the Vampire in his face. That was cool.
I got Legacy of Darkness when that came out because I liked the original version and this one was worth buying with its new features, with characters Cornell and Henry. The intro for the game was kinda neat, showing areas in the game and remembering them, and seeing how Dracula was resurrected for the previous game.

I got Circle of the Moon recently for Game Boy Advance, and I'm finally at the end, but I haven't beaten Dracula's second form. I spent a lot of time in that game just getting lost because I would forget a area, one little doorway I missed and didn't see on the map.

My favorite secondary weapon is the Cross (Boomerang).

Daarkseid
07-02-2002, 01:08 PM
Yeah the Crucifix(boomerang) is by far the best Sub-Weapon in the series. I remember in Super Castlevania IV, you could murder most of the bosses by throwing an endless barage of Crucifixes with the Triple Shot.

I'm gonna have to try and get ahold of the N64 castlevanias, just to see what those are like... I've never really played either of them.

Mak-X
07-02-2002, 02:54 PM
Legacy of Darkness is a better version of Castlevania 64, so I recommend that over the first game.