PDA

View Full Version : Omg

Beldaran
06-30-2002, 03:20 PM
A rant

OMG Microsoft is not trying to take over the world you idiots! They are building software and making money! What the hell is wrong with making money? Just because most people are inept doesn't make it evil to make money. If you want evil, read about all those screwed up governments around the world. All american companies have EVER done is improve our standard of living so stop making fun of them just because you are afraid of their ability to create things and profit by it. Everyone I've ever heard talk negatively about microsoft was one of the following:

1) A watery-eyed skinny white politician with no testacles

2) An under achieving adolescent wannabe hacker

3) A pot smoking loser who thinks hes "enlightened"

4) A highly intelligent prick with nothing better to do than make fun of people who are more creative than him/her.

I'm so glad we live in a country where smart, creative people can start companies and mow over the masses of drones who are inept and lazy. I only hope that someday I am as ruthlessly successful as Bill Gates. If I was him, I would work even harder to corner markets, stamp out the competition, and make tons of money because history has shown that nothing has improved our way of life as much as making money. Notice I said "MAKING" money. Most people think of it as stealing. Their concept of wealth is "getting" money. "Making" money is the process of creating value by bringing ideas into fruition. If I live in an economy with a total cashflow of $20, and I use sticks to build a weapon worth $5, I've created $5. The economy is now worth $25. Money is not static! Its not like video game points! The maximum amount of money you will ever have is directly propotionate to your ability to create and achieve. And those of you who hate microsoft have NONE of that ability.

So :blah:

Elemental Knight
06-30-2002, 03:29 PM
True, they aren't planning world domination, they're just out for what every buisness wants: Market domination. They're just a bit more agressive about it than some companies.

Doesn't mean they don't put out a bad product, though.

The Savior
06-30-2002, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Elemental Knight
Doesn't mean they don't put out a bad product, though.

True, but that doesn't mean that any product they make is good either.

Selah
06-30-2002, 03:43 PM
Well thats true and bill gates give millions to the cancer research development program. Its good to know that his money is put to some good use.

Daarkseid
06-30-2002, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Selah
Well thats true and bill gates give millions to the cancer research development program. Its good to know that his money is put to some good use.

All of his money is put to good use, whether its into charity, buying expensive luxuries for his home, or invested into other companies who then go about hiring people and creating more jobs and furthering the economy...

Brian
06-30-2002, 04:57 PM
Lol, I agree. It seems like your people #'s 2-4 may point to some AGN members. ;) But yeah, I fully support capitalism and rewarding the successful. And, like my sig says, Windows rules! ;)

And for the people that got all upset about MS packaging programs (like IE), I wonder if they cry every time a resteraunt makes them get vegestables with their meal and they don't want them.

theplustwo
06-30-2002, 05:15 PM
lets see...

Windows XP ownz0rz all
and Microsoft has every right to pack IE with Windows

But they have done illegal things such as buy out competition and let there technology stagnate.

I think MaximumPC magazine best summed it up with this quote: "While we can't imagine a world without Windows' ubiquity, we have to wonder what technology was crushed to get there"

The Savior
06-30-2002, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by Brian
I wonder if they cry every time a resteraunt makes them get vegestables with their meal and they don't want them.

If the vegtables were bug-infested, yes, I would bitch about it.

theplustwo
06-30-2002, 05:46 PM
I like that avatar savior, I might just ask you If I can use it (if you have changed by then) after I get 1k ;)

Daarkseid
06-30-2002, 06:14 PM
Windows XP(professional) has been nothing much very much compliant with me so far. If there's ever been any problems, its usually software related, either because the software is ridiculously out of date(like something from the 80s to the early 90s) or its a compatibility issue. So far windows explorer has only had to shut down once, and even then I was still able to continue doing what I was doing.

Granted, people probably won't get the same results as I have, and I myself had a bitch of a time with Windows 98, which to everybody seems to be the best version of Windows.

Microsoft can charge whatever it wants, but it has to realize when people are going to seek cheaper alternatives. 200 dollars for an OS seems ridiculous to me...

Menokh
06-30-2002, 06:25 PM
MS can charge what ever they want.
They can bundle IE with their OS.
They can bundle whatever they want with Windows.

They don't have any right, however, to say one moment that IE is seperate from OS, and then the next moment not allow you to uninstall it.
The don't have any right to submit doctored evidence to court.
They have no right to claim that windows won't function without IE but in reality it function perfectly.
They have no right to restrict what we want windows to do.
They have no right to try to control the market.
They have no right to have a proven illegal monopoly.
They have no right to FORCE people to use Windows if They want Office in their native language(anti-trust case in Israel).

the list goes on.

As for my experience with XP, it was mostly a good one, but I felt too constricted. I couldn't uninstall IE even with IEradicator. And it was not very much more stable than ME for me, it actually gave me the blue screen once, and reset all of the other times when I should have gotten the BSOD. I found ME to be much better as far as windows goes.

EDIT: oh and as Vegeta said in another topic, MS should try to secure their OS, not have security through a hardware solution. The potential for abuse of Palladium far outweighs the benefits.

vegeta1215
06-30-2002, 06:35 PM
I don't terribly hate MS, but I don't like their business practices. I don't want MS products in every aspect of my life: Not in my living room in the form of a console or entertainment center, and not on my computer in the form of OS and every other program you can think of. Why? Because I like MS's competitors products more.

But, MS has had a few programs that I have no complaints about:
-Chip's Challenge (fun ass puzzle game)
-MS Gif Animator (what I learned gif animation on. too bad you can't find it online anymore)
-Access (I've only used it a bit, but I like it so far)

Originally posted by Daarkseid

All of his money is put to good use, whether its into charity, buying expensive luxuries for his home, or invested into other companies who then go about hiring people and creating more jobs and furthering the economy...

Of course it is. Will all that income, if he didn't give some of it away and spend it, he'd be taxed to death.

Originally posted by Elemental Knight
True, they aren't planning world domination.

All I can say is: "Those who have the $ have the power". Ever heard that phrase?

theplustwo
06-30-2002, 06:37 PM
I think that microsoft will eventually dig themselves into a hole where nobody can afford there products anymore and ceases to care, at which point they will just sort of go away.

Selah
06-30-2002, 06:43 PM
yea i use ME to. the only problem is when the hard drive gets full then glitches start to increase.

Daarkseid
06-30-2002, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by fmehmobile
I think that microsoft will eventually dig themselves into a hole where nobody can afford there products anymore and ceases to care, at which point they will just sort of go away.

No, if people stop buying Windows, then Microsoft will likely redo their marketing of Windows so as to attract more customers. Their not just going to all of a sudden lose a massive market share, and then struggle uselessly into obscurity.

Menokh
06-30-2002, 07:08 PM
This is rather interesting.
Read this article (http://www.linuxandmain.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=7)
Don't think it is biased, because I assure you it isn't, despite it being a Linux site.

Also as I posted in the Palladium topic: read this PBS article (http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20020627.html)

I'm going to edit the first URL into my post in the Palladium topic.

Saffith
06-30-2002, 09:16 PM
Another interesting article, here (http://www.fuckmicrosoft.com/content/whatsbad.shtml).

Rather biased, perhaps — it is on fuckmicrosoft.com, after all — but it's still true.

Raichu86
06-30-2002, 10:12 PM
There's nothing wrong with making money. But Microsoft has forced other companies out of business and done many things to make it hard to live without Windoze. :shrug:

Brian
06-30-2002, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by Daarkseid:
Microsoft can charge whatever it wants, but it has to realize when people are going to seek cheaper alternatives. 200 dollars for an OS seems ridiculous to me...
Well, that I can get around. My Dad, who among other things as VP of his company is in charge of stocking the company with things they need, and this includes computers and operating systems. I think he buys mass upgrades for Windows, (licensed for multiple computers) and then we upgrade our personal computer with that too. Then again, he also has the company pay for our car, so thats cool to. ;) (its used to pull company trailors from time to time so its legal)