PDA

View Full Version : Unification 2 Newfirst or ML?

Nick
06-28-2002, 04:06 PM
The ultimate decision...

Should my ML remake of U2 be the official release of U2 or should it be Unification 2 SE?

Mainly wondering because it would be easier on me to do the newfirst version first and it would get an official release out faster.

Anyway, if I do stick with the newfirst version (info on the ML version is somewhere in this forum)...

The overworld will for the most part be the same. Helena Island will say goodbye though because it plain out sucks.
The original levels will be intact, but revamped for 163.
There will be a plot added.
Custom Bosses might be added (not impossible to beat).
Boss doors will be added in with boss keys.
There will be much more challenge in the puzzles.
The basic ideas will remain the same. This will for the most part be a "old school" quest. It will have some "next generation" stuff, but not too much.

Also, you can download the latest version I made of the newfirst version...

www.angelfire.com/games4/nick41472/downloads/u2_newfirst.zip

Copy that into your address bar.

Or... you can have a creeping slow download with...

http://invis.free.anonymizer.com/www.angelfire.com/games4/nick41472/downloads/u2_newfirst.zip

Anyway, comments are welcome and please vote in the poll if you do care. -_-

Raichu86
06-28-2002, 09:27 PM
I never liked NewFirst, I think you should make the first edition ML. :thumbsup:

Nick
06-28-2002, 10:05 PM
I plan on making a "more friendly" palatte eventually if I do go on with the newfirst version. I noticed it is horribly bright and dull when comparing it to other tilesets.

Elemental Knight
06-28-2002, 10:21 PM
I like Newfirst. It's pleasing to the eye, but not so muc hthat your eye gets a stomach-ache from so much eye-candy. Go with Newfirst first (heh), then do a SE, IMHO.

Raichu86
06-28-2002, 10:36 PM
I have a flat panel and the NewFirst colors are beautiful. But after the blinding quests I put up with my tube, it doesn't matter. Not everybody has flat panels. :(

It will be fine if you fix the pallete, it just won't be as powerful as other tilesets.

Nick
06-28-2002, 10:42 PM
Yeah, that's true.

However, it will save me the trouble of converting if I do it. I'm not sticking with newfirst exactly even if I do convert. I'll more than likely change things around some to get some more colorful things. I'm also taking advantage of the useless palattes I could change around. The set itself has R2 sprites and colors already. The dungeons and overworld are the only traces of newfirst left in the quest.

K-Teclis
06-29-2002, 09:55 AM
You should make it ML style!

MountainDrew023
06-29-2002, 11:20 AM
I think ML style. It seems like everyone's quests have the same newfirst-R2 kind of set... But then again now everyone will be having a ML set.... But then again, If you have to make 2 It will take more time so you'd get it done faster if you only had to do one.

Nick
06-29-2002, 11:40 AM
The main reason I'm even considering this is my ML overworld is becoming crappy. I've squeezed too much stuff into one little corner of the overworld. I've had to chop off areas for that. Though I will make up for it by connecting a second overworld to the first, it is still kindly odd looking. I found I've become extremely lazy with Mushroom Woods and I threw level 2 near the first of it temporarely.

The poll is at a tie right now, so I can't really choose sides at the moment (I haven't voted in my own poll yet). I will be releasing a two level demo of the ML overworld version as soon as I finish Level 2, Mushroom Woods, and the village.

K-Teclis
06-30-2002, 08:27 AM
That sounds great! I really prefer ML because it doesn't look so 'clean' like the Newfirst palette!

DarkSFK
06-30-2002, 10:39 PM
Yeah, the old ML tiles rock! Go with ML! I don't know why Prince dumped em though.......

MountainDrew023
06-30-2002, 10:51 PM
His tiles were supposed to be unique but then lots of people had similar sets. That's why his new set is so different from all the others.

DarkSFK
06-30-2002, 10:54 PM
Yeah, I know, but they were so good! BTW, we're goin' off topic here.

Nick
07-01-2002, 11:32 AM
No. It is perfectly on topic in my opinion.

I know how great the ML tiles are. That's why I started using them in the first place.

I have 3 different versions of the newfirst version to consider now. One has a LTTP set of walls in the dungeons. One is the exact same version I put for download at the top of this thread and another has the overworld partially converted to ML.

The LTTP set will be combined with the ML set if I do the ML newfirst version.

Basically, the quest isn't going to be 100% newfirst either way. For all we know, I may go against the vote, but then I have to work on EE too. :shrug:

Edit: I am no longer updating my quests in my signature. Also, if you need to go to my site, click the www button in one of my posts.

I'm doing this to preserve the sixth line of my signature with a link to PureZC when it comes back up (the only available line I have).

ZeldaLord
07-07-2002, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by Raichu86
I never liked NewFirst, I think you should make the first edition ML. :thumbsup:

Strange, becuase most of your quests use it.

plith
07-08-2002, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by ZeldaLord
Strange, becuase most of your quests use it.

Wow... no they don't...
Last I checked, they used modified R2 tiles...