PDA

View Full Version : Norton actually works!

Jemsee
06-28-2002, 03:50 PM
After being annoyed for three days by the popup box to update my virus definitions, I finally did it this morning.
After doing it, ran the scan and it found no viruses.
But I did note that there were 4 items in the quarantine file.
Here's a pic;
http://www1.evertek.net/~gchalland/NortonLog.jpg

So last month good'ol Norton found and stopped three different things that could have messed with me.
I’ve been hit with a virus before where it changed all my file names and their extensions. Bad times there.
So I'm quite happy that this does work.
If it stopped things before I have never noticed, this is the first time I’ve ever seen anything in quarantine.

Anyone ells ever catch a virus (other than a cold) before it effected them?

Raichu86
06-28-2002, 03:53 PM
My mom receives virus in email all the time. Luckily, we have the ultimate virus protection: Linux. :D

Menokh
06-28-2002, 03:57 PM
Yeah, I have Nortan on my WindowsME partition.
Does the job nicely. I don't knwo what I'll do when I need to reinstall it after the next format)god, windows 9x the only OS where you need to format the partition regulary), since I lost the CD.

But I use Linux far more often anyway. There are 3 known Linux viruses. 2 of them are harmless, one is a whopper of a virus, but all of them can only attack if you are logged in as root. The only people who log in as root tend to be inexperience idiots who don't know any better(or most Lindows users). I've logged in as root once to make a massive configuration change; Linux will usually ask for the root password if you are doing something that needs it.

vegeta1215
06-28-2002, 04:00 PM
Norton is a really nice piece of software. Never really had to use Anti-Virus alot, but Norton Utilities is da shit! It keeps Windows 98 running alot smoother.

I always get emails with virus' attached to them as well. I have no fucking clue where they're coming from or what lists I'm on, and it really pisses me off. Sometimes if I don't check my Excite email for a while, it'll be completly full of emails from people I don't know with attachments that are probably virus', grrr :mad2:

I really wish they'd pass some anti-spam laws.

DarkDragoonX
06-28-2002, 04:04 PM
Norton really is the best. I have yet to see anyone beat out Norton Utilities.

DarkPanther
06-28-2002, 04:06 PM
I run PC-cillin on my laptop and it's super-fast in finding things like that. I sometimes get viruses when I'm downloading 'illegal' copies of this and that, but as soon as it's done downloading, it's gone and taken care of. No harm done. :tongue: Pretty nice. Then I laugh at the person who sent it to me and call them fun names and stuff. It's great.

Discombobulator
06-28-2002, 04:08 PM
Hey, Menokh. What's Lindows?

Menokh
06-28-2002, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by Discombobulator
Hey, Menokh. What's Lindows?

Lindows is an extremely easy to use distro of Linux. I'm actually surprised you haven't heard of it, since MS promptly sued them over the name and lost.

Anyhow it is based on Debian Linux and uses a heavely modified KDE desktop to create a Windows-like environment. The install process is too fast and only creates the super-user account(root), and therefore most users never even know that they should create more. But Lindows also has the ability to run MS Office 97 and 2000 right out of the box, it also can run the windows version of AOL. But the system requirements are rediculous; 1.5 gigs of HD space, 128 megs of ram, and an ethernet card or working hardware modem. Presently the only way to obtain Lindows is to either join the beta testing insider team, or buy a Microtel computer with Lindows from Wallmart.

If you're at all interested in windows-like Linuxes, go with Lycoris (www.lycoris.com) or ELX (http://www.elxlinux.com/elx/index.php), they may not run MS Office without you buying Crossover Office first, but they are more secure than Lindows due to the fact they make you create another account.

Discombobulator
06-28-2002, 04:57 PM
hmm...I might just get Linux. It sounds better than this thing I have...

DukenukemX
06-28-2002, 06:42 PM
For some reason Norton seems to be the best at Anti Virus. When Counter Strike was getting popular I kept getting viruses. Norton got them all. For some reason I don't get viruses anymore. Better safe then sorry.

ZeldaFan001
06-28-2002, 08:44 PM
Bah, I'd rather use Mcafee VirusScan. Norton has you buying virus definitions after using Norton for 30 days. Mcafee has unlimited .DAT updates and you can get one major product upgrade. (A new version. I.E. Version 6.0 upgrading to 7.0. Upgrading from 6.0 to 6.1 doesn't count. Note: [B] THIS IS ONLY AN EXAMPLE!) I have Windows 98. Mcafee is the best!

King Link
06-28-2002, 11:17 PM
Norton is really great. I have it too, and after those popup ads though, (for a long time), I'm just gonna update the virus definitions too.

Menokh
06-28-2002, 11:43 PM
Funny, my Nortan lets me update my virus definations for 1 year after install, and doesn't check to see if I actually just bought it, so I could uninstall it after a year and reinstall it.

vegeta1215
06-29-2002, 02:12 AM
I used to have McAfee before I got Norton, but it gave us lots of problems. And what's worst, when I uninstalled it, there was still tons of junk left behind! They lost my respect after that.

Drunken Tiger
06-29-2002, 02:27 AM
I have Norton on my computer but i never use it... My computer is probably a breeding ground for viruses, but they dont infect me...:shrug: