PDA

View Full Version : Companies now blocking MP3s

Cyclone
06-28-2002, 03:07 AM
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/zd/20020627/tc_zd/939797

Another MP3 story...this time, about blocking them from the workplace.

Even companies in the business of protecting corporate networks from abuse and strain aren't immune from the problem. NetReality, which makes network management software, saw its system grind to a halt one day. The cause: Someone in the Israeli office was downloading a copy of "The Lion King."

I found this to be my highlight news tidbit of the day. I can sleep peacefully now. :D

Cyclone

slothman
06-28-2002, 03:38 AM
I think can be good. Remember they are the companies computers and networks, not the employees. It might though depend on the department and enviroment. When I was working it was pretty relaxed. So that likely wouldn't be a problem.

obi
06-28-2002, 06:32 AM
You know what, this could mean the barney could actually be the downfall of some companies, Imean, I magine, if some one downloaded the theme song (God forsake the day...).

:laughing:

NyteChylde
06-28-2002, 10:24 AM
Now it seems AudioGalaxy will be closing down due to a lawsuit filed against them...and AudioGalaxy was the only sharing system I liked... :angry:

Raichu86
06-28-2002, 10:29 AM
:lol: I have that MP3 too. Rush Limbaugh - The Lying King. :D

Oh well. That's what they get for downloading music instead of working.

Cyclone
06-28-2002, 12:10 PM
Actually, in this case, The Lion King is the movie. A video file, see.

Cyclone

vegeta1215
06-28-2002, 12:29 PM
Use OGG Vorbis. I don't think they can do anything about that. It's a open source sound format.

NyteChylde
06-28-2002, 12:35 PM
vegeta, if you were passing along the info to me, could ya please PM me a link to where I can find it? Much obliged... :) Unless of course you know of something similar to AG...

vegeta1215
06-28-2002, 12:49 PM
Sure.

My friend told me about Ogg Vorbis when I got on Linux cause he knew about the crap going on with mp3s. If you wanted, you could encode all your mp3s to Ogg Vorbis. The quality is the same if not better, and the file size is smaller. And Winamp (as well as other players), can play Ogg files.

You can read about the file format at the Ogg Vorbis homepage: http://www.vorbis.com/ and learn about encoding here: http://www.vorbis.com/encoding.html

NyteChylde
06-28-2002, 12:53 PM
Before I download it, I'd like to get a user's opinion of it...what do you think about it? Easy to use? Accesability of the Ogg files? etc etc...that's how I discovered AG...it came highly recomended to me and I was able to amass almost 3 gigs worth of music...I own most of the cds, but I like people in mIRC chat rooms to see what songs I'm listening to, or to send a few songs by a band I recomend to other people so they can hear what the band is like...

vegeta1215
06-28-2002, 01:01 PM
I don't know how popular it is, or how easy it is to dl ogg files directly, but you can always encode another sound format to ogg format. You definitly won't have to worry about any patent things that are going on with the mp3 format if you do.

But, you probably won't notice the difference in quality. They sound very similar. If anything, you'll just have to get used to seeing .ogg at the end of your songs instead of .mp3

So, if they're the same, why switch? (one might ask) Well, mainly cause of what I mentioned. the mp3 format is patented, and mp3 encoders and such will most likely be resticted and maybe cost money in the future. This is the free alternative that you'll never have to worry about!

Fiyerstorm
06-28-2002, 01:10 PM
I hope meh lil WinMX doesn't die.

DukenukemX
06-28-2002, 02:00 PM
It kinda makes sense. You don't want your employee's using your bandwidth to get some music loaded on a Zip Disk. Not to forget about playing this music at work.