PDA

View Full Version : Pipe-dream forum hacks

The Savior
06-27-2002, 11:03 PM
[list=1]
MPQ points go underneith the avatar
Alpha-PNG support (I know this one is possible, it was done a few months ago)
More poll options, like allowing users to vote for up to X options, allowing voters to enter a number from x to y, and having the poll spit out an average, etc.
One that allows members to set a number of pixles/inches/whatever, and filters out any signatures longer than that.
[/list=1]

cyberkitten
06-27-2002, 11:16 PM
i believe that anything under the avatar has to be manually added by an admin. at least that's the case with the nifty tent icons i think.

multiple choice polls are possible by using checkboxes instead of radio buttons i believe, but i don't know if you're allowed to use a weighted vote (ie., rate these with 5 being highest and 1 being lowest). i'm sure it's something that could be tested though if you're interested.

i would imagine there's a pixel/size limit that could be imposed for sigs that would be like the one imposed for avatars. if your sig is bigger, you get an error message and have to change it to something more acceptable.

if i understood vBulletin better i might be able to give you some better info, but that's the best i've got for now :)

me2
06-27-2002, 11:24 PM
Actually, ck, I think he means an option in your CP that says how many points you have. It could be like this:
style:____
MPQ:[*mp]_[*/mp]

Where you could actually put the code in there.

DarkDragon
06-27-2002, 11:30 PM
2, 1, and 4, in decreasing order of likeliness, are what I estimate would be feasible to implement. Alpha-PNG support is most definitely just a matter of plugging in a pre-made hack; if Alpha-PNG was working before but not now, it is probably due to the latest vB upgrade and will probably soon be fixed. 1 would probably have to be coded from scratch, but shouldn't be much more difficult to implement than custom titles or stars. Sig limits is where things get dicey, since it's hard to define a "length" to text/picture amalgrams. Pixel height is dependant on your browser's font settings, and hence can't easily be used. Byte size, which is used for custom avatars, is a bad idea since, if a small picture is allowed, so is the Constitution. The best solution would be to set a maximum number of text lines, converting picture pixels into lines using a conversion factor. Of course, this algorithm would have to be able to handle pictures tiled horizontally instead of vertically...

More poll options, unless available as a pre-made vB hack, would, from experience, require a LOT of coding. Of course, you could always hope...

My list of hack wishes:

5. Reinstate the 1 tag.
6. Warn you, once you submit your reply, if someone else has replied to the thread between the time you started typing your response until the time you submit it, and allow you to cancel the submission if there has.
7. Have post count based not on physical posts currently present, but on how many times you've posted period. This would prevent Breaker from punishing people who piss him off by moving their threads to Forum Gamez, but would on the other hand also stop much of the whining surrounding pruning.
8. Make me an Admin. No, wait, make me an Owner.

Paradox
06-27-2002, 11:32 PM
those would all be nice to have.....

but DD, i have to be owner and you can be admin ;)

Cyclone
06-28-2002, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by The Savior
[list=1]
MPQ points go underneith the avatar
[/list=1]

This would have to be a per-user option, if even added. I mean, if people don't take part in MPQ, why would they need "MPQ Points: 0" under their avatars?

And this would not auto-update, either. It's manually updated by the user. Thus, it would not work that nicely.

Cyclone

The Savior
06-28-2002, 01:54 AM
It would work nicer than the current system. :P And it wouldn't have to say MPQ Points: 0, it could just be the pictures.

Darunia
06-28-2002, 02:51 AM
And this would not auto-update, either. It's manually updated by the user. Thus, it would not work that nicely.

Cyclone

MSU, Me2 and inori, MPW mods, will warn everyone that is not being fair :kawaii:

DarkDragon
06-28-2002, 03:14 PM
Hmm... though of another wanted forum hack:

9. If a member sends a PM to another member whose PM box is full, an e-mail message should be sent to the box's owner (using the address used to sign up for the AGN account) stating "(USERNAME) tried to send you a PM but could not because your box is full. Please delete old messages from your PM box," or something to that effect.

Nick
06-28-2002, 03:15 PM
It already does that for me. -_-

Menokh
06-28-2002, 03:34 PM
Let me tell you about the Alpha png thingy.
Pings are alpha-blended by default. Internet Explorer simply doesn't display this blending(unless told to by an HTML tag). The hack allowed IE users to see PNG's as they were supposed to, but it made the PNG's invisable to people using anything else.

If the PNG blending hack were to be re-implemented, I would want it to make sure that the PNG was visable to all browsers.

Ich
06-28-2002, 03:53 PM
10. You can delete your own posts within a ten minute time period after you made them.

Shadowblazer
06-28-2002, 04:07 PM
The PNGA tag still exists. It's a custom vBcode and thus is part of the database and is not overwritten when the software is updated. Usage is:

<image URL>.

As for making it viewable in all browsers, I'm afraid I'm not l337 enough for that. It'd take an actual hack to take care of that, if the syntax for displaying them is different for different browsers.

AlexMax
06-28-2002, 04:16 PM
It's because that IE is a nonstandard POS browser.

^_^

The Savior
06-28-2002, 04:37 PM
Couldn't you make it so the image would be loaded again if the browser doesn't identify itself as IE, but the second time it would load without the tag?