PDA

View Full Version : I'm proud of my father

Beldaran
06-27-2002, 08:56 PM
My father is not a computer programmer. He does not have a college degree. He's a customer support representative for Boeing.

About 8 years ago, he got fed up with Boeing's bloated, disfunctional maintenance and customer support database, so he busted out the do-it-yourself manuals and wrote his own program/database that allowed him to keep track of everything more easily. Soon, his office mates were using it. Management noticed it and payed him $10,000 to let them use it company wide. Now my dad's database monitors all the information regarding sales, maintenance, and customer support for the entire Boeing Corporation.

3 months ago, Boeing realized it needed to upgrade the program to accomodate new technologies and policies within the company. They hired a professional team of software engineers and spent over $500,000 to create a new database that would do everything they needed. It sucked.

So they ask my dad for advice. In 1 week he retooled his original code so that the program met all their needs. During this week, he was made fun of by the entire computer department because he was a "newbie", a "hack", and a "wannabe". When it was finished however, management began reffering to him as "wonder boy".

I'm proud of my dad. I'm glad I'm going to college, but it just goes to show you that having an active and engaging mind is more important than having a certificate from an institution.

Go Dad!:pimp:

Masamune
06-27-2002, 08:57 PM
sometimes my dad takes me bowling... :(

Skatche
06-27-2002, 09:04 PM
http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2002/20020517l.gif

Cronic
06-27-2002, 09:05 PM
Damn straight man... 28 bucks an hour as an engineer and technically I didn't even pass High School... Hell I repeated the 9th 3 times because I had better things to do (drugs, young girls... that sorta thing) All you need is a well developed mind... it doesn't matter what you do so long as you focus on some form of higher ground.

Jemsee
06-27-2002, 09:10 PM
Cool!
I'v always belived common sense was just as valuable if not moreso than a developed skill in just one area.
I think both are needed or we would not have many of the technological terrors we have today. (Good ones and bad).
Personaly I'd choose common sense.

Jigglysaint
06-27-2002, 09:21 PM
Too bad people arn't paid to think deep, meaningless thoughts or to hack video games. Even with college I think my life might end up being as meaningless as a Teenybopper or Boy Band...

JayeM
06-27-2002, 09:45 PM
You have every right to be proud of him! A self-made man...you too, DC.

Dracula
06-28-2002, 01:13 AM
...My dad's dead... Need I say more? :(

It's a good thing to be happy and close to your dad... Good for you! :)

Drunken Tiger
06-28-2002, 01:51 AM
Good on you Beldaran!!

I can get free driving lessons and play with the dual pedals!!

My dads a driving instructor!!:D:D

balzac
06-28-2002, 06:53 AM
I have LOTS to be proud of MY dad....the Neo-Nazi conspiricy theorist bastard...

obi
06-28-2002, 07:02 AM
I'm proud of my dad as he has worked hard for what he has over here.
You probably gave him something big on fathers day eh Balderan?

Dirk the Daring
06-28-2002, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by Dracula
...My dad's dead... Need I say more? :(

Sorry for your loss, but just because he is dead doesn't mean you can't be proud of him, proud of the man/father that he was.

Discombobulator
06-28-2002, 08:55 AM
Yep. Just having a college degree doesn't make one smart. A person can cheat a lot to get one.
Your dad has the skills and intelligence for the job. :)

Brasel
06-28-2002, 06:23 PM
Thats awsome...I wish I had something to be that proud of my dad for...I guess sacrificing a marriage to work ungodly hours to provide for all his kids, his ex-wife, his current wife, and his unborn child is good enough...I'm really proud of my dad too.

Dracula
06-28-2002, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Dirk the Daring

Sorry for your loss, but just because he is dead doesn't mean you can't be proud of him, proud of the man/father that he was.

...I am really proud of him for many things! It's just, there were too many accomplishments he made in his lifetime, I can't list them all. Plus... He liked Castlevania. Now THAT is what I can be proud of him for... leading me into probably one of my most treasured series of memories. That right there is cool.

Brasel
06-28-2002, 07:15 PM
No wonder you like Castlevania so much. :)

Rijuhn
06-29-2002, 12:52 AM
I'm very proud of my father for many reasons aswell. He's been a very good role model for everyone in my family. He's been through a lot, and he's always looking on the brighter side of things which has helped me through my depression. I could go on for awhile, but it'd get to personal for me if I blabbed anymore.