PDA

View Full Version : My new job (And A Linux Question)

AlexMax
06-27-2002, 01:36 PM
Well, I somehow got into this job over in Downtown Concord NC, where I have to fix certain problems and get stuff up and running like a DNS server, Apache Server, and other things.

And I'm loving it! Working with 6 Pentium 3 Xenon boxes plus change...I'm in heaven.

However, I would LOVE help on a few topics...

- Has anyone had any experience working with TurboLinux's DHCP server? It's a POS from what I can tell compared to RedHat's but I can't install RH 7.2 or 7.3 because the kernel is apparently incompatable with the SCSI card I've also tried installing DHCPCD on the TurboLinux installation, but there are WAY too many dependancies to muddle through...
- Is it still possible to download a version of RedHat with a 2.2 kernel?

Help would be appriciated...

Menokh
06-27-2002, 01:44 PM
TurboLinux's DHCP server isn't a POS, from what I've heard it is just more confusing than Red Hat's.
And Red Hat is SCSI compatible, so it's probably just a problem with that particuar SCSI card. I wonder why TurboLinux has a driver and Red Hat doesn't?

And Red Hat with the 2.2.x kernel. I think it is possible to find, but I have no idea where. But it would probably be version 6.2 or below.

Dependancies, fun aren't they? they aren't that hard once you understand them. It might take a few days or perhaps weeks to fully understand dependancies, but all in all the system is faster.
Oh and glad you're having fun with Linux. I would love to have that job. Once everything is up and running though, there wil be very little maintanence needed.

EDIT: Red Hat Linux 6.2 (ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/redhat/redhat/redhat-6.2-en) I found it. anyone else besides Alex, this is an old version, the new version of red hat is 7.3.

AlexMax
06-27-2002, 02:13 PM
Eaykay....

The TurboLinux CD is TurboLinux Server 6.0 Lite. What kernel is that?

The RH CD has a driver, but when I tab into one of the console windows while the install window says 'loading driver for xxxxx', it just seems to page shit that I can't understand...not sure if it is the driver or the kernel.

vegeta1215
06-27-2002, 03:42 PM
Congratz in the new job AlexMax! Sorry I don't know very much to help you out. I'm still learning.