PDA

View Full Version : Though I doubt there are, are there any Metal Slug Fans Here?

MottZilla
06-26-2002, 09:04 PM
I doubt that there are really any metal slug fans here other than myself, but maybe I can get some of you to go play it. :p

If you don't know anything about Metal Slug, Metal Slug is a side scrolling 2D shoot em up game, similair to contra on a much larger scale. All 5 games that have been made are for the NeoGeo hardware, arcade MVS cartridges and home carts.

The story, um, well if you wanted a shoot em up to have a story that's just sad =( Metal Slug has like, some sort of story but that doesn't matter. Metal Slug is lots of fun. Provided you are good at it, or have infinite credits/alot of money to kill.

If you want to get an emulator and romset, you may have some trouble finding them now as most sites are dead. However for an emulator, NeoRageX is really nice and fast, but if you have a good enough system you could go with Kawaks (http://kawaks.retrogames.com).

The reason I decided to post this is, Metal Slug is a great series that not that many people know about. Also, yesterday, a Metal Slug 4 rom set was finally released. Metal Slug 4 is Copyright 2002, so it's a very new game. I think Metal Slug 3 is copyright 2000, or 2001. It's sad that NeoGeo isn't seen more often, because if it were we might actually still be getting 2D games developed. However we will probably see a few more Neogeo games in time.

So if you are still reading this I'm amazed. :p Go get Metal Slug now! It's one of the greatest games of all time, IMO. Nice, fluid 2D animation for the most part. And some nice music and great gameplay too. However I warn you now Metal Slug 3 and 4 are really insane. If you are really good though, you might not have alot of trouble getting through them.

AlexMax
06-26-2002, 09:42 PM
I have played something similar in theory to Metal Slug, called Darius Gaiden. Now THAT is an insane game. Not to mention that Darius Gaiden has some KICKASS music.

If MS is as good as Darius Gaiden, I might try it.

MottZilla
06-26-2002, 10:00 PM
What system was Darius Gaiden on? And like I said, MS is similair to Contra, only much better.

Hermit
06-27-2002, 08:01 AM
I love Metal Slug :) My first encounter with it was at some cheap old bowling alley that just happened to have a 6 game Neo Geo arcade machine. This was about 5-6 years ago. Damn... I was instantly amazed and fell in love with it right off!

Since then, I play them every now and then curtiousy of emulation. I have 1, 2, and X. I still can't find 3 though. Well I have found 3 before, just not a downloadable one (either due to extreme slowness or bad links, as usual) :laughing:

MottZilla
06-27-2002, 04:38 PM
If you can use NeoRageX on your system, Instant Message me on AIM, or PM me here, and I'll hook you up with Metal Slug 3. Once I can get a decrypted gfx version of Metal Slug 4, I can send that your way too. FYI, encrypted gfx don't compress well, while non-encrypted compress quite well.

Hermit
06-28-2002, 06:20 AM
I have ya on AIM :)

If I ever see ya I'll send ya a message about it, and thanks ;)