PDA

View Full Version : Mandrake Linux install problem...

AtmaWeapon
06-26-2002, 10:52 AM
OK, I started to install Mandrake Linux on the computer in my room, as I said in my previous topic. I made the boot disk, setup started, I pushed <Enter> to continue, some messages flashed across the screen (obviously some setup checks of the system), and then an error occurs. Here is the last three lines of the output, they seem to be the ones that describe the error:

VFS: cannot open root device "ram3" or 01:03
Please append a correct "root=" boot option
kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 01:03

Can any Linux people tell me what the crap that means? I went to the Mandrake Linux website, but aside from the downloads, that site is about as useless as Microsoft's site if you are looking for info. Please help me!

vegeta1215
06-26-2002, 12:39 PM
I don't know man, that sounds really odd.

Did you try just booting from the cd? You have to change your boot order in the BIOS. You should give that a try.

AtmaWeapon
06-26-2002, 01:39 PM
The only thing booting straight from the CD does is make the setup program load faster; it still gives me the same error message. I'm searching the mandrake homepage, and I've seen that other people have had the problem, but unfortunately they all post their problem and no one replies with an actual solution.

Toolie
06-26-2002, 02:05 PM
1. INSTALL RED HATe LOOOOOOOOOONIX

2. RUN COMMAND E PROMPY CONMFIG SET -R -Q -SKF /DEV AAD -3827

3. CONNECT TO A PINGY BOX

4. SETUP A FIREWHALE

5. RUN FREEWARE CLIANT SUBJECT OF DISK IN "VOM LIBRARY CUSTOM" -x -d -er -f -ggr /hd -eu /ldk /wiw -99ie

6. delete evarything and install micorsoft Windows ME because good luck tryeing too do anything in Lunix because Lunix was built for peopal who weigh ovar 500 pounds and collact Star Warps toys and draw Lunix penguins all day because there job si customizing a TV remote control so teh 5 button makes it say "6". OOOOH GRATE JOB THERE FELLAHS I'M GLAD YUO SPEND ALL YUOR FREE TIEM WRITEING SOEMTHING NOBODY USES!!!!!!!! LIEK MAYBE A CERAMIC CARTOON CAT!!! WINDOWS ME si vary stabal and built too last and yuo can palay Corridore 7 on it UNLIEK Lunix. teh only game yuo can palay on Lunix is "catch teh monkey bannar ad." and post to newsgroups about how much yuo think chewbacka weighs and debate about who would win in a fight of "1010101011000101" versis "01010111010101010".

http://www.somethingawful.com/jeffk/intarnetguido/LUNIXMAN.gif THES MAN USES LUNIX! NOTE HE SI FAT AS A SLUMMY SLUG AND
HE SMELLS LIEK A TRASH BIN

http://www.somethingawful.com/jeffk/intarnetguido/

Jeff K speaks the truth. Listen to him.

Menokh
06-26-2002, 02:58 PM
Toolie we don't need your anti Linux bull here now. I'm going to quote from an editorial in this months Linux Magazine:

Whenever I mention Linux to some people, they envision a bearded, unbathed recluse hacking away till all hours of the night with crumpled chip bags and empty pizza boxes strewn about.
I don't blame people for not understanding the breadth and depth of Linux's presence on the Internet and in other types of business. It is because people treat Linux like some sort of mystical OS in which only those who are in the know... know.
~Bryan Peifer
Did you know that around 53% of web servers run on Linux, including this one? did you know that Disney recently switched over almost completely? Did you know that the French and German governments have begun to mandate it's use on government servers? Did you know that Linux powers the majority of TV cable receiver boxes? did you knwo that you can play plenty of Windows games on Linux? www.transgaming.com Did you know that there a quite a few Linux ports of some of the better ones? Did you know you can run MS Office if you reall wanted to? Same with IE, all you need is a properly configured installation of Wine.

And now back on topic. Atma, it sounds to me like a relitively minor problem with your ram is fucking up the installer. It is definatly a ram problem, but I can't figure out why. You have enough ram(32megs). This is a far fetched idea, but try a different ram stick if you have one.

Toolie
06-26-2002, 03:08 PM
I was having some lighthearted fun, Menokh. I will now kindly tell you to fuck yourself and your over-hyped gay Linux. Go drive a Dodge Neon of a cliff while your at it.

Menokh
06-26-2002, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by Toolie
I was having some lighthearted fun, Menokh. I will now kindly tell you to fuck yourself and your over-hyped gay Linux. Go drive a Dodge Neon of a cliff while your at it.

sorry about jumping down your throat, I'm in a jumpy mood today. And I'll think about the Dodge Neon...

Oh and personally I think Jeff K is an idiot.

AlexMax
06-26-2002, 03:18 PM
Toolie, I will now kindly tell you to fuck yourself and your over-hyped and EXTREMELY HOMOSEXUAL Window$. Go drive a Ford Explorer PERIOD while you're at it.

As for your problem, I have no fucking clue. Try reinstalling or another distro.

vegeta1215
06-26-2002, 04:08 PM
I still think Mandrake would be best for a new user. Might want to check into the ram.

Recently Menohk told me to dl Memtest-86 to check my ram (cause ZC was giving weird memory errors). You should download it and run the test: http://www.memtest86.com/

Whatever you do, don't give up! It's frustrating at first, but once you get your Linux computer up (and hardware working), it's smooth sailing.

Toolie
06-26-2002, 04:42 PM
Oh gosh diddly, some Linux users want to argue with me. O what shall I do?

If Linux was so efficient and whatever, why doesn't everyone use it? If it's so much better, why is it so much more difficult to install and get running? I can format my drive and install Windows XP, which installs all my devices and gets me online within 45 minutes. Good luck trying to do that with any "distro" of Linux.

XP is just much more simple. It's very stable and very mainstream. It boasts a great browser ( IE ) and is very compatable with thousands of games and hardware devices. Too bad we can't say that with Linux ( unless of course you use some sort of Windows-simulator ).

Please one of you little geeks explain to me why Linux is so superior? Please enlighten me.

Menokh
06-26-2002, 05:05 PM
Oh gosh diddly, some Linux users want to argue with me. O what shall I do?

If Linux was so efficient and whatever, why doesn't everyone use it? If it's so much better, why is it so much more difficult to install and get running? I can format my drive and install Windows XP, which installs all my devices and gets me online within 45 minutes. Good luck trying to do that with any "distro" of Linux.

XP is just much more simple. It's very stable and very mainstream. It boasts a great browser ( IE ) and is very compatable with thousands of games and hardware devices. Too bad we can't say that with Linux ( unless of course you use some sort of Windows-simulator ).

Please one of you little geeks explain to me why Linux is so superior? Please enlighten me.

Lets first address the question of why every one doesn't use it.
1) it is newer.
2) have you been keeping tabs on the antitrust case at all? MS forged key deals with OEMs to distribute Windows with the cheaper x86 class PC's. And then MS used scare tactics to keep these OEMs from putting Linux on thier PC's, MS threatened to cut off the OEMs' special discounts on Windows, and as such these OEMs would lose money.
3) peple consider it a mystical OS. see my quote above.
4) read the 'halloween documents' MS has admitted in court that those are real. They are quite intersting reading and insight into MS internal workings.
-And Mandrake Linux installed itself and configured all of my hardware and got me online in 45 minutes, Mandrake's install process is almost too simple.

As for IE being a 'great' browser, that can be debated to absolutely no end. But if you want to use IE, use it, hell you can even use it on Linux if you know what you're doing. Just don't force IE down people's throats, like MS has done and is doing.

And Windows is more compatible with hardware and software due to the very monopolistic practices MS has been found guilty of.
If you kept up on things well, you'd realize that Linux is compatible with more hardware all the time, the only thing I had to actually download a driver for was the 3D acceleration on my NVidia card(due to licensing concerns). As for Windows programs, I've already said plenty of them run without Windows on Linux.

I won't even go into the anti-trust cases MS is getting into in Europe and Israel. Those might be more severe than the one that is finishing up here.

I have used XP. And guess what? I went back to Windows Me dual booting with Linux. Why? you may ask. Simple XP didn't like some of my hardware, and ME and Linux did. XP would spontaniously reset whenever I put in a slave drive, that I had made sure worked in XP, it would do so until I powered down and removed the drive. I had to reboot XP about twice a week, I don't have to do that with Linux. Oh and if Linux is so shitty, why do 53% of web servers use it?

Toolie, I have a theory. You find it fun to bash stuff you don't know much about. I think it is you who is afraid of simple things. Linux is almost too simple, everything is arranged logically, and is easy to configure(even if you have Gentoo or Slackware); Linux is a Unix based OS when it comes down to it. Unix was built for stability and Linux was written from scratch for stability and when TCP/IP and networking were added, they were written with security in mind.

Zel_II
06-26-2002, 05:41 PM
As for the error AtmaWeapon is getting, I've never had that problem, are you by any chance trying to mount a non Linux partition with the boot disk?

Menokh
06-26-2002, 05:46 PM
Zel, it has to be a ram problem. It says:

VFS: cannot open root device "ram3" or 01:03
Please append a correct "root=" boot option
kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 01:03

This seems to point to an error creating the ram disk(VFS means Virtual File System, ram3 is ram). every Linux install I know of creates a Ram disk and uses that as the root filesystem, including Mandrake. Now from the nature of the error it would se as if he either doesn't have enough(but he has 32megs and Mandrake is upposed to run in that) or he has some defective ram. He can scan his ram with the Memtest86 stand-alone program Vegeta linked to above.

As for solutions if the ram is indeed defective. He can swap ram from the machine he previously installed Linux on, that should work.

Toolie
06-26-2002, 10:17 PM
First off, I probably keep up with world, financial, and technological news more than you do. Don't accuse me of being ignorant as to what's going on.

You still haven't explained why I should use Linux over XP. All you do is bash the company that makes XP. XP is a very stable system, and it's incompatable with older hardware because it's based of an NT infrastructure, which some hardware can't be compatable with. My modem wasn't even compatable with Linux.

XP is much easier to use, install, configure, and work with. I personally don't feel like taking 10 minutes to make a shortcut on my desktop in Linux, when I can quickly make one in XP. XP is a much simpler system with a much more stable and compatable enviornment. Is this because of antitrust? Who cares!? It supports alot of hardware, alot of games, and is remarkably compatable, and thats the bottom line.

Still want to suggest any reasons I should use Linux, or even that god awful Opera while we're at it?

vegeta1215
06-26-2002, 10:51 PM
Atmaweapon, if it is indeed a problem with the RAM, please go test the RAM (check my previous post).

As for Linux vs Windows, It's not worth arguing about. If you're happy with Windows XP, fine. If you're happy with Linux, fine. But, you shouldn't bash someone for wanting to try something different.

And Toolie, I find it very rude that you jumped into this discussion and fused a debate when Atmaweapon was asking for help.

Toolie
06-26-2002, 11:18 PM
Excuse me? I posted humour and was attacked by a Linux groupie. I find that rather rude.

Menokh
06-26-2002, 11:23 PM
Last thing I'm saying in this thread about this argument.
Toolie, it takes about 2 seconds to make a shortcut in KDE or Gnome, about the same amount of time it takes in Windows XP.
And I have a hypothetical situation: in XP you have a program somewhere on your drive, but you don't have any shortcuts to it on the Desktop, Start Menu or Quick Launch, now you'd have to search your harddrive for this program; In Linux all you'd have to do is open a terminal window and type the program's command.

Toolie, your web site is(or will be) www.randomflame.com right? Becuase if so Netcraft has this to say about it:
The site www.randomflame.com is running Apache/1.3.26 (Unix) mod_attach/0.9 PHP/4.2.1 mod_log_bytes/0.3 FrontPage/ 5.0.2.2510 mod_ssl/2.8.9 OpenSSL/0.9.5a on Linux.

As Vegeta said, if you want to use XP, do so, I hope you don't mind the spyware though. Just don't bash people who are using or want to try Linux. Linux is a perfectly valid Desktop and Server Operating System, so please quit trying to bash users of it.

Any more comments I put in this topic will be about Atma's problem.

EDIT: I see that you posted right before me. Your posts most certainly dont seem like humour.

Toolie
06-26-2002, 11:26 PM
Then you need to remove the stick from your ass. That was quite funny, or did Jeff K. hit a soft spot on Linux's little boy?

The Savior
06-27-2002, 12:02 AM
I can format my drive and install Windows XP, which installs all my devices and gets me online within 45 minutes. Good luck trying to do that with any "distro" of Linux.

I was online within 45 minutes, and before I started I'd never even seen a screenshot of a linux desktop. Have you tried installing Linux, or are you just guessing here?

Then you need to remove the stick from your ass. That was quite funny, or did Jeff K. hit a soft spot on Linux's little boy? Your posts seemed like satyrical (sp) humor. You obviously didn't mean what you posted literally, but it was based around some pretty harsh comments.

vegeta1215
06-27-2002, 03:20 PM
Excuse me? I posted humour and was attacked by a Linux groupie. I find that rather rude.

Whatever your intentions were, some didn't find it as funny as you did, and therefore fused a debate, period. And it's not fair for Atmaweapon.