PDA

View Full Version : 163 requirements....

DarkSFK
06-25-2002, 10:32 PM
I need to know the requirements for the new beta, I'm getting a new laptop and I need to know the minimum requirements if anyone could be so kind!

Menokh
06-25-2002, 11:24 PM
I'd say at least 300mhz processor. At least 64megs of ram for optimal performance(although 128 is always better, and most laptops come with at least that).
And it doesn't matter what version of Windows.

Spike
06-25-2002, 11:32 PM
Actually, doesn't XP have a problem with it? Or have they fixed that?

Menokh
06-25-2002, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by Spike
Actually, doesn't XP have a problem with it? Or have they fixed that?

If you have Windows XP(why? may I ask), do not use the DOS version of 163, it will not work well if at all. Use the Windows version of beta 163 and you'll be fine.

Daarkseid
06-26-2002, 12:35 AM
Hey XP works a hell of a lot better than ME did, particularly where RAM is concerned.

XP has a problem with the DOS version, I've heard. The Windows version works perfectly on my XP machine.

Spike
06-26-2002, 12:37 AM
I use 98, I think he was money hungry and released ME and XP a little too quick. Damn Bill Gates...

Daarkseid
06-26-2002, 12:51 AM
I use 98, I think he was money hungry and released ME and XP a little too quick. Damn Bill Gates...

He released 98 three years after 95, so the release of XP was on time. I think ME was just sort of an upgrade to win98 for the purpose of selling more PCs when the year 2000 hit...

Spike
06-26-2002, 12:55 AM
Yeah, also with all the ME bugs theres another reason to call it Millenium, when all the bad stuff was supposed to happen this thing came out and it was bad enough for computers v_v

Menokh
06-26-2002, 03:18 PM
All Windows ME is, is Windows 98 Third Edition.
And it has this damned 'PC Health' thing which is supposed to fix your computer back to how it was before it fucked itself. Well it eats up alot of harddrive space, so I actually disable it and then kill it.

And XP handled my 256 megs of ram quite poorly. And reset spontaniously when I hooked up a slave drive that was known to work with XP, and would keep reseting until I powered down and removed the drive.

Spike
06-26-2002, 03:20 PM
Man, windows is really going to hell, ain't it... But that doesn't say much considering how bad Macintosh is doing, they freeze every few seconds... V_v;

Menokh
06-26-2002, 03:26 PM
Man, windows is really going to hell, ain't it... But that doesn't say much considering how bad Macintosh is doing, they freeze every few seconds... V_v;

when's the last time you used a Mac, and what OS did it have? Apple fixed the majority of their crashing problems and freezing problems by OS 8, and now with OS X it is rock solid. Trust me I've used a Mac and have come to the opinion that Windows is far behind in stability and user-friendliness.
Macs don't freeze every few seconds, if they did Lucas Arts and Industrial Light and Magic wouldn't have made so much use of them while making Star Wars Special Editions a few years back, or while making Episode 1.
But this is quite off topic, isn't it?

Spike
06-26-2002, 03:30 PM
Yes, oh well. Well I used a Mac about 3 or 4 years ago, so it's OS most likely bit the big one. But I guess now they don't suck so much. I bet the old school still has those older ones so they freeze more, poor them! :lmao:

Menokh
06-26-2002, 03:42 PM
Yes, oh well. Well I used a Mac about 3 or 4 years ago, so it's OS most likely bit the big one. But I guess now they don't suck so much. I bet the old school still has those older ones so they freeze more, poor them! :lmao:

Well even if you used Macs that long ago, they were probably considered old even then. If your old school was anything like my middle school(again a few years ago) they had Macs(from 1994) with OS 7.1 on them and Clarisworks 2 or perhaps 3 if you were lucky. I don't think they have updated their computers yet, either...

Daarkseid
06-26-2002, 04:12 PM
The MACs I used 6 or 7 years ago had macOS 7.1, and were way more stable than any Windows release I've ever used.

Cyclone
06-27-2002, 01:07 AM
All right, guys, if you keep talking about Macs, I swear I'll split those posts and move them to GD. And having worked for 9 hours today, I'm not in the best of moods (well, still a good mood, but damn tired).

Let's please get back on topic.

Cyclone