PDA

View Full Version : Mac is starting to look Good

DukenukemX
06-24-2002, 11:06 PM
Yep I'm pissed. You want to know why? Go here http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/02/06/24/020624hnpalladium.xml .

Microsoft wants future PC's to come with chips that will allow windows to install into these PC's. The security technology is called Palladium.

So basically Intel and AMD are going to start making chips with this technology so users can actually install the new version of Windows. Who knows what MS will be doing with these chips in your PC.

Companies should start making software for linux and dump windows.
It's enough for a person to start using a Mac. :laughing:

Dark_Xero
06-24-2002, 11:11 PM
I love my windows comp!

Lom2000
06-24-2002, 11:16 PM
to me it sounds like a lame excuse to get in ur comp, thats y i am keeping away from XP

Dark_Xero
06-24-2002, 11:17 PM
Yah, I just want win 98 or 2k then i'll be happy, right now i got win95 :(

Menokh
06-24-2002, 11:17 PM
Well. I guess this Palladium thing is more reason for PC users not to use Windows, because MS is not trustworthy and lord knows what they'd do with these chips.

Personally I only use Windows for Zelda Classic, and use Linux for everything else. And I'm getting a Mac laptop in awhile. As soon as a Linux version of ZC is available(if it happens), I'll be dumping Windows for good.

And since new Windows versions will NEED Palladium chips, people with computers without them will not be able to use the new Windows. Most people I know are not going to want to buy a new computer simply to upgrade to the new Windows.

EDIT: and starting? I've always liked Macs better. Hell I wanted one, but my Dad didn't, thats how I wound up getting my present Peice of Shit.

Dark_Xero
06-24-2002, 11:18 PM
Yah, people like ME

Skatche
06-24-2002, 11:18 PM
According to the Newsweek report, Microsoft will publish the source code to its Palladium system in an effort to be more transparent.

Publishing source code openly is not the same as declaring it to be "open source." According to the Open Software Initiative, open source software must be freely distributable by third parties, including as part of derivative works, without restriction or payment.

Gartner's Reynolds backed this point, saying that "Microsoft is talking about making it open source."

Not a bad start, but until they make the hardware plans available as well, I don't trust it.

When asked whether users would be required to run Windows in order to take advantage of Palladium's features, Juarez replied, "The short answer is 'yeah.'"

That doesn't mean that all other platforms will be excluded, he said.

"We understand the importance of being inclusive," he said. "We do not want this to be seen as a Microsoft-only initiative."

"Our goal is to be as inclusive as possible," he said, adding that other platforms would likely see some level of interoperability.

To facilitate that broader support, Microsoft will be working with other companies, both in the hardware and software markets, as well as listening to feedback from users, Juarez said.

"This is a collaborative industry initiative ... (that) can only work if every stakeholder has a voice and participates in the process," he said.

Juarez was unable to provide more specifics about how Microsoft would offer that voice, but said that the company would be soliciting feedback from users at some point.

Er... could someone tell me what just happened here? Is or isn't Palladium open-source?

Paradox
06-24-2002, 11:36 PM
palladium

isn't that an element?

vegeta1215
06-25-2002, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Menokh
Personally I only use Windows for Zelda Classic, and use Linux for everything else. And I'm getting a Mac laptop in awhile. As soon as a Linux version of ZC is available(if it happens), I'll be dumping Windows for good.

ditto.

I think that idea of the Palladium chip is the stupidest thing I've ever heard in a long time. Like Menohk said, who wants to upgrade their hardware for a Windows update? I don't see why MS doesn't just make their OS more secure.

I just hope the chip makers don't buy into it and start making those things. That could put a hurt on Linux development.

AlexMax
06-25-2002, 02:11 PM
Oh come the fuck on....

Can you say 'Anti-Linux trojan'?