PDA

View Full Version : The New Layering System

ShadowTiger
06-24-2002, 02:48 PM
I have some questions on what the new features on the layering system is. Can someone please explain what -EACH NEW INDIVIDUAL FEATURE- is for each layer?

And please tell me the purpose, with examples please, of each layer and how it is used?

Thank you.

I am still trying to post my 324 midis, by the way.

VEL
06-24-2002, 02:51 PM
Layers 1&2 go under link & the enemies. 3&4 go over link and the non flying enemies (flying enemies go over). Layers 5&6 go over everything.

Menokh
06-24-2002, 05:54 PM
And in 163 there is a transparency checkbox.
It makes the checked layer translucent, you can see what is below it while still seeing the layer. This allows for fog, or darker rooms(with Link darker too), it can allow for glass and ghostly effects, etc.

Here's an old example of transparency DN showed the contest members:
http://www.armageddongames.com/darknation/images/blending1.gif

I seem to have lost my shots from my quest. I'll possible post some of them later.

C-Dawg
06-24-2002, 06:14 PM
Thats fine Menkoh, but incomplete. There's a bunch of other boxes for information on the Layer screen - fields for information labeled "X" "Y" and some other stuff. What does that do?

-C

Nick
06-24-2002, 06:15 PM
Nothing at the moment. -_-

Cloral
06-25-2002, 01:56 AM
BTW, this belongs in ZQuest help. Moving...

ShadowTiger
06-25-2002, 09:36 AM
Thank you. You have been a big help. I have already been experimenting with the MysticLand tileset from Prince MSC, (which is great, thank you.). I have done something interesting = I put some of those rotating spikes on a cylinder as a layer in between some walkways, and made it transparent. It looked incredible! Thanks once again.

So, for example: If I wanted to put IN THE SAME SCENE, a bridge that link disappears under AND OVER, how would I do it?

For Example, do you know those cubic bridges in Hofstra College that are covered? Just like mice walking through their tubes that connect their tanks? How would I do something like that, but Link enters the scene from the left, walks under the bridge and walks to the right, walks up some vines, walks down and around to the left, then goes up into this bridge like structure and disappears, only to reappear a little ways north of the bridge as he emerges. (takes a breath.) How would I do that? Remember: All of that is without leaving the scene or warping. (Unless warping is necessary.)

supertails2001
06-25-2002, 12:09 PM
Anything that you want to go under link should be on the base screen(layer 0) or layer 1 or 2. Anything that you want to go over him should be translucent (if needed) and have the Transparent color (color 0) wherever(sp?) you need to see Link or the floor, and be on layer 3-6. *takes a breath*

ZeldaLord
06-25-2002, 02:16 PM
When I use transparency, the color turns ugly... :confuse2: :(

VEL
06-25-2002, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by ZeldaLord
When I use transparency, the color turns ugly... :confuse2: :(

press "b" that should help.

ZeldaLord
06-25-2002, 04:46 PM
Why, what does "b" do?

VEL
06-25-2002, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by ZeldaLord
Why, what does "b" do?

In zquest it fixes the colors so they look "right". If you don't press it sometimes the colors will look really bad.

ZeldaLord
06-25-2002, 04:55 PM
Thanks VEL! :) :D