PDA

View Full Version : Say goodbye to the Blue Screen of Death Forever!

AlexMax
06-23-2002, 10:11 PM
...and say hello to the green, red, black, whatever screen of death of YOUR choice...

http://www.toastytech.com/files/bsod.html

Oh, and the actual messages are in kernel32.dll. If you konw what you are doing, you can change them. ^_^

Daarkseid
06-23-2002, 10:20 PM
Yeah, my brother downloaded a program that allowed you to change around some things, one of which was the colors for the screen of death. He changed the blue to black, and the white to red, hence we had the "black screen of death".

AlexMax
06-23-2002, 10:21 PM
Does anyone know of a hack that can change some of the messages?

I would love to include "* uninstall this POS operating system and use Linux"

Lom2000
06-23-2002, 10:27 PM
what is the "blue screen of death?"

itschris
06-23-2002, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Lom2000
what is the "blue screen of death?"

"blue screen of death

An error that can appear on computers running in a Windows' environment. This includes even the earliest versions of Windows such as Windows 3.0 and 3.1, and still occurs in later versions such as Microsoft Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows NT, and Windows 2000 beta. Jokingly called the blue screen of death because when the error occurs, the screen turns blue, and the computer almost always freezes and requires rebooting."

-http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/B/blue_screen_of_death.html

Lom2000
06-23-2002, 10:55 PM
oooooooooo that screen!

ZeldaFan001
06-23-2002, 11:00 PM
Oh boy, I hate that screen! But still, this doesn't completely get rid of it. It's just for fun. Windows XP is smarter and when the blue screen of death shows up on it, it usually reboots because it can detect serious errors now. Pretty neat, but I have Windows 98. I probably never will go with XP.

Menokh
06-23-2002, 11:02 PM
XP rebooting instead of showing the blue screen is a marketing ploy to make people think they did something wrong and not a bug in the OS.

Anyhow, ever since I removed IE completely from WindowsME I haven't seen the blue screen once, and it's been much more stable.
But in the slight chance I see it again(and I think I will), I'll make it red.

theplustwo
06-23-2002, 11:02 PM
bah, I use WinXP and havent seen it since I made the switch :thumbsup:

Paradox
06-23-2002, 11:41 PM
there's a joke program called the "rude screen of death" where it is a fake one. you can get it at www.computerpranks.com

MottZilla
06-23-2002, 11:50 PM
AlexMax, editing the kernel32.dll is one of the stupidest things you could possibly do. If you are VERY carefull you might be able to change certain ascepts of it but it really wouldn't be worth the trouble.

Also, if you want to try to get a blue screen of death, try going to c:/con/con or c:/null/null

Trying to access those so nicely crashes windows. It won't affect XP though, and probably not 2k.

Sub-Zero
06-23-2002, 11:58 PM
Yea, i also have never seen the blue screen of death on xp.... if anybody has seen the blue screen of death on XP, let me know, im hoping to be the first to succeed in bringing back the good ole BSOD. :laughing:

Discombobulator
06-24-2002, 02:04 AM
:) You can change the BSOD if you have Win Boost 2k Gold, too.

ctrl-alt-delete
06-24-2002, 02:45 PM
I get a "blue screen of death" about twice a day! I hate it I think more than anything in the entire world. I should uninstall IE...or get XP...or beat my computer with a baseball bat...

mrz84
06-24-2002, 03:11 PM
i got the blue screen of death earlier today when i was working on rpgmaker. but anyways, has anyone every read my haiku in the previous BSOD thread? if not i could post it again so everyone can have a good laugh. :kawaii:

vegeta1215
06-24-2002, 08:57 PM
lol, me and my Linux buddies meet in this internet cafe at school and we tried to change the colors of the BSOD one day, just for fun.

But you know what? No matter what we tried, we couldn't get a "blue screen"! The computer hung up like crazy, but no blue screen! Wouldn't you know, when you want Windows to crash, it won't! Go figure.