PDA

View Full Version : Question about Megaman/Rockman...

Dracula
06-22-2002, 09:44 PM
Ever since playing Megaman on the NES, I've wondered... Why is he also known as Rockman? I found it confusing at first, then I just think it's a nickname, and then I realize that 50% ofgaming fans say Megaman, 49% call him Rockman, and the last 1% just call him X (from Mega Man X, I presume)
Just curious.

mrz84
06-22-2002, 09:47 PM
rockman is what he's called in japan. for example: when i was talking about my rockman zero rom, it was the japanese version of megaman zero (both for gba) which is in japanese of course. :kawaii:

Mak-X
06-22-2002, 09:57 PM
For whatever reason they had to change Rockman's name for the U.S. and chose Mega Man, I think because since he gains all the other robots powers "Mega" fits.
"X" is the Mega Man in the future in the Mega Man X series who is called X.

"Rock" comes from Rock n Roll. I remember one of the people that work on the games explain that when you think of Mega Man you think of Rock and Roll music. His sister is Roll, Rock and Roll.

The intro to Mega Man 4 keeps the Rock name in that it explains that a household robot, Rock, came forward to be made into a fighting robot by Dr. Light to fight Dr. Wily.

mrz84
06-22-2002, 10:35 PM
and there ya have it folks. the blue bomber's past in a nutshell. :kawaii:

Dracula
06-22-2002, 11:17 PM
Gotcha. I had a feeling about it being Japanese, but I was wondering, since the Megaman for NES says Rockman... That's all.

Duran
06-23-2002, 01:20 AM
Well jap its rockman. They call him rock, his sister is roll, protoman is called blues, and bass is called forte. Heh all musical stuff, all megamans have a good soundtrack, thats why I love megaman series alot.

obi
06-23-2002, 02:35 AM
One question though, why is Dr. Light sometimes refered to as Right in the rockman games?

Kairyu
06-23-2002, 12:20 PM
Translation inconsitencies. Just like Wily is sometimes called "Wiley", and Mets also go by the names Mettool, Hard Hats, Mettuar, etc.

www.mmhp.net

MottZilla
06-23-2002, 11:36 PM
RockMan I believe was changed when brought to USA and Europe because of the "RockMan" trademark already being in use for something. I know there is "RockMan" brand some music crap. But ya, that's pretty much why I believe. I prefer RockMan over MegaMan personally.

mrz84
06-24-2002, 02:37 PM
light is refered to as right sometimes cause that his jap name. and blues=protoman, forte=bass(his jap name is cooler) and so forth. :kawaii: i like the jap names over the us ones any day. :kawaii:

EWild
06-24-2002, 04:38 PM
Not for Protoman, I mean Blues? What a crappy name but the others are a whole lot better than the American ones. :kawaii:

Kairyu
06-24-2002, 04:53 PM
Right was just another translation error, actually, I'm pretty sure. L and R are interchangable in Japan, so something probably got lost on the way over (This is actually very likely... Capcom does such interesting translation jobs. Interesting, but not exactly accurate...)

I prefer Forte, Gospel, Blues, and Saito (Site, Hub's Japanese name. If you know, good, if you don't, don't ask).
I don't care either way with Rockman/Megaman. I wonder what Dr. Cossack's name in Japanese is?

MottZilla
06-24-2002, 06:46 PM
I prefer Protoman yea. Much better name here. ;)