PDA

View Full Version : Too much of a good thing

Ganonator
06-22-2002, 06:02 PM
:angry:After testing out some quests with the new 192b163, I noticed the awesome feature of the infinite push blocks. Well, now i'm speaking out against it. It wasn't just the first quest I played that had this feature. It is EVERY QUEST I play with b163. and like 4 or 5 times a dungeon. I know it is a great addition, but it has become so anoying trying to deal with everyone's quest who wants to put this in. If it is that great of a thing, do more with it than just some pushing around and finding the block trigger. :angry:

oh well.. that's what happens when we get too much of a good thing...

EWild
06-22-2002, 06:17 PM
I dissagree with you. The feature is a good addition and it's fun pushing around the blocks to find the triggers. And you didn't really give a vaild reason to why you hate the rule.

Mr. 207
06-22-2002, 06:59 PM
I think the fact that it can get aggervating (for him) was a plenty valid reason.

Personally, I dont give a damn.

Cyclone
06-22-2002, 10:15 PM
If not properly used, the infinite push block can be a TAD annoying. Even regular Zelda games aren't so annoying that there is absolutely no hint as to where to push something (take OoT; every puzzle has a hint). Having a batch of empty squares and forcing someone to find the correct spot is a tad annoying.

Hence, if you feel the urge to do this, don't expect many people to enjoy playing your quest.

Cyclone

Nick
06-22-2002, 10:16 PM
Oh no, everyone is using them! It's a disaster! We have to get rid of it or everyone will use it just like layers and eyeballs and everything else! It's chaos!

For some reason, your post seemed to scream that. -_-

The features are there to use, not sit there and rarely see them. -_-

Edit: I'm talking about the first post.

Raichu86
06-22-2002, 10:23 PM
I only use them one or two times in a dungeon. :tongue:

And so far, I haven't found any quests with annoying pushblocks.

Nick
06-22-2002, 10:27 PM
I have about one pushblock puzzle in almost every dungeon. Windy Horizons is the only dungeon with a max of 2 of them. Same with the other quest I'm working on.

That isn't an outrageous amount, is it? -_-

Jigglysaint
06-22-2002, 11:26 PM
I think the problem is that we don't have enough puzzles in ZC that we can only use one feature in each dungeon and still make it fun. Take ALTTP for example. Think of what each dungeon had that distingushed it from eachother. Graphics, enemies, and some level specific extras. In the dark world, first level, you had to bomb the floor to get the master key. The second dungeon had to be opened from the light world. Level 3 had several enterences and you had to burn somthing to get to the final one. Level 4, you had to rescue the "girl" to finish, which required you to find both her and a light source. Level 5 is slippery and huge. Level 6 was big and long. Level 7 had those platforms. Level 8 had 3 bosses you had to kill again. All had unique treasures as well as a key. All had multiple floors.

What we are missing are good levels that are free of innovative puzzles and complex-yet well done levels. You can't make great levels with the zelda 1 dungeon interface, not can you do other things as well, like multi floor dungeon maps. Then again, there are lots you can do so just combine and experement with different features, that's how I created events and treasure chests.

Ganonator
06-23-2002, 12:18 AM
thanks for your semi-backup Jigglysaint... I am not saying that I hate the rule - I don't hate it, i was even a person who pushed for it in the first place. The problem is that it is horribly overused. My example is DarkSFK's Oracle of Life. (Nothing against that quest Dark, it's lookin great) it uses the push blocks like 5 times, whereas there are no other puzzles in that level that are room specific. If everyone used puzzles that were remotely original, and i am using my new quest as an example, where there are lots of places to light torches and have to search for secrets with the lens of truth. This push block thing seems like it is the only puzzle in the world for ZC.. After playing Cloral's GS, everyone would understand originality, where there it is in its purest form.
That's my venting for this evening.. thanks!!

K-Teclis
06-23-2002, 11:56 AM
... Jigglysaint brought up a good point!
I'll make every dungeon in L1A unique! Yeah... I'll try to use diffrent ideas... that will take long!

Nick
06-23-2002, 01:33 PM
I basically try to have different types of puzzles in each level of my quest.

In Level 1, it is a wide open castle where most of it is on a cave dmap. Level 2 has a desert side and a winter side. It also has "elevators". Level 3 has puzzles about the wand and several entrances. Level 4 has 3 different parts that reveal a huge chunk of plot. Level 5 is going to feel like an overworld and a dungeon all in one.

I try to balance themes between dungeons and the puzzles in them. Sometimes, it is hard though.

C-Dawg
06-24-2002, 01:07 PM
Ganonator isn't upset that we HAVE infinite pushblocks- he's upset that people design poorly with them. No number of extra fearures will make up for shoddy design.

-C

NerdWarrior
06-24-2002, 05:24 PM
Push blocks aren't as cool as conveyor puzzles.

I'm serious. Items are affected by conveyors!
Here's an idea - A push block puzzle that has you "save" an item from pit/something that prevents you from getting it