PDA

View Full Version : My Function key is stuck!

Rafnul
06-21-2002, 06:16 PM
My goofy compaq laptop has this strange Fn key in the bottom left. For some reason or another it is stuck. Let me show you what it looks like if I stop holding in the key. 5t 3662s 14st 352e th5s when 5 d6nt h63d the 2ey 5n.

It's kind of like a second shift key. Anyways it's really annoying because i have to hold it in with my little finger...

theplustwo
06-21-2002, 06:33 PM
I was wondering what the hell that was when I saw it on my sisters laptop, well now I know.

You learn something useless everyday at AGN!

Paradox
06-21-2002, 06:34 PM
that key is for the numbers and symbols. see on the keys you were trying to press that had little numbers on them? that's what the key does. i had a compaq laptop and it had the same thing.

Rafnul
06-21-2002, 06:35 PM
Thats it. i finally have an excuse to take apart my laptop. muahahahah...

actually, i just want to take apart my keyboard...

DarkDragon
06-21-2002, 06:40 PM
From what you've written, I'd guess it converts the 3x3 block of keys from 7 to 9 to L to J into the numerical keypad that's usually on the right side of the keyboard.

Rafnul
06-21-2002, 06:43 PM
that's exactly what it does. it's still useless though. who uses that keypad anyways?

Skatche
06-21-2002, 06:44 PM
Turn off numlock. :p

Rafnul
06-21-2002, 06:49 PM
what the... I can't!!!!! the special function for the scroll lock key is num lock. for some reason or another it wont turn off. if there a way that i can turn it off manually, from like the dos prompt or something?

Oh wait i got it. I had to press shift function AND scroll lock all at the same time. I think this is even worse than having to press ctrl-alt-delete when windows reverts to its original, gatesified state.

Selah
06-21-2002, 07:27 PM
Well hope you get it all figured out man. You know you could always tape the function key down but if that doesnt work.....SUX BEING YOU MAN!

Skatche
06-21-2002, 07:31 PM
No, you don't need to hold Fn when you do that, but it should stay out of numlock until you put it back in (unless some program puts it back into numlock).

DukenukemX
06-21-2002, 07:39 PM
Well one day I spilled soda on my Laptop. I know what could I be thinking. :rolleyes:

The good news is that the keys are sticky and the PC is still alive.

I was able to remove the sticky keys and clean them and place them back on the laptop. I think you can just pull the key out. I used a regular kitchen knife to pry it off. I dipped the key in hot water and washed it and placed it back on the laptop. Took me 1 hour to figure out how the keys get back on. :angry:

The Fn key on the laptop is a extra function key. You would hold it down and press a key on the keyboard and something will happen. I can turn on a light or change the size of the screen with it.

Do it at your own risk.

theplustwo
06-21-2002, 07:42 PM
did you try hitting the keyboard randomly... and REALLY HARD!!!!!111