PDA

View Full Version : Is this possible

Zeo
06-20-2002, 02:18 PM
TO create a programmign language that works like HTML.

Example
links
<link>http;//whatever.com</link>

background for that part of program

<background level "#(whatever)" = "#00000-FFFFFF">

Sprites
<sprite "#(whatever)"> C:/mydocuments///blah.jpg</Sprite>
Waht do you guys think?

slothman
06-20-2002, 02:48 PM
I would assume so. I was thinking that you could just "add" more types of tag to HTML to get it to do other things. Some sort of browser would have to be made though. Even that wouldn't be too hard I was thinking of just using a structure that has 1 type of tag in it and can point to other structs. Then you would have a list of them creating the whole document.

inori
06-20-2002, 04:37 PM
What exactly are you suggesting would be in this language that HTML doesn't already do?

After all, we already have a language that works like HTML. It's called HTML. :D The interesting question is what you want to be different.

The Silent Assassin
06-20-2002, 05:15 PM
HTML is not a programming langauge. It's a markup language...or "formatting" language.

Paradox
06-20-2002, 06:52 PM
i've thought about creating my own programming language before, but you'd have to use a different programming language to program it.

Lom2000
06-20-2002, 06:55 PM
i dont really understand html...i barely know how to tag things

Fatty Lumpkin
06-20-2002, 07:39 PM
You could learn javascript and xml. I've heard python's getting fairly popular too.

Zeo
06-20-2002, 08:27 PM
My resoning is I want it basically in english...........C++ is WAY too complicated...........(deliberlty so in my opinion) and with this, s long as SOME ONE knows how to make a compiler, any one can make any game they want, which would mean more remakes.

And HTML can't make sprites move ironi...............I want to make a Programming language that uses HTML syntax becuase its easy to use.

Lom2000
06-20-2002, 08:29 PM
what you just said Zeo is like another language. i do know what C++ is, not how to use it or whatever, i have just heard of it before

inori
06-20-2002, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by Zeo
My resoning is I want it basically in english...........C++ is WAY too complicated...........(deliberlty so in my opinion) and with this, s long as SOME ONE knows how to make a compiler, any one can make any game they want, which would mean more remakes.

And HTML can't make sprites move ironi...............I want to make a Programming language that uses HTML syntax becuase its easy to use.

inori, and I'm quite aware that HTML doesn't allow you to create motion. There's a reason for that. (BTW, my research area is programming languages, if anyone was curious.)

HTML isn't suited for general-purpose programming use... there's no sense of time built in and no variables. It's okay for specifying the format of output, but doesn't provide you with any way to compute what that output should be.

More importantly, there are no control constructs, such as loops, functions, or conditionals. You'd have to add those in order to do anything interesting. I suppose you could, if you really wanted to... but you'd most likely end up with a confused mess of a language that was actually harder to learn than C++.

But you might give Visual Basic a try. It's actually not too bad of a tool for getting results quickly.