PDA

View Full Version : Zquest.txt says: Don´t use overhead combos...but why?

Petoe
06-19-2002, 05:59 PM
The user reference created by Phantom Menace says this:"Do not use overhead combos for layering, or for any tile at the edge of a screen (for instance, dungeon doorways on a non-dungeon dmap)"

Does anyone know why it is not recommended to use overhead combos, because when I have used those combos, they are working fine and everything else seems to work well too. Of course overhead combo is not as usefull as layers, but I try to avoid using layers as much as possible because in my quest layers would eat so much space and it slows down the quest too. So does anyone know a reason why I shouldn´t replace most of the layers with overhead combos?
:reading: :confuse2:

Nick
06-19-2002, 06:24 PM
There better not be something wrong with it at this point. -_-

I'd have to throw away my whole quest if there is a problem because I use them constantly for that purpose. -_-

Happyman
06-19-2002, 07:09 PM
You can use them anywhere except on the edge of the screen or layers? That's not too bad.

I use them plenty. But never like he said you shouldn't.

Nick
06-19-2002, 07:17 PM
Actually, Phantom Menace didn't wright that entire document...

JayeM is the one that updates it (I think).

Anyway, I've already done overhead combos like that, so I don't care too much. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with it so far. -_-

supertails2001
06-19-2002, 07:36 PM
Link probably walks over them.

DarkSFK
06-19-2002, 10:39 PM
Well, in an overhead combo, you cannot set the tile you want under it. So, if you use a dungeon template, you will get stuck because the template (usually) is solid around the entire screen. When you put the combo there instead of a door, the dungeon template will stay there, causing you to get stuck in the tile.

Jigglysaint
06-19-2002, 11:24 PM
No, it's because when you scroll, link suddenly appears over the tile instead of under, unlike the dungeon where link stays hidden. Besides, I think he was considering getting rid of the combo becase of layers.

K-Teclis
06-20-2002, 07:13 AM
You have to use a full tile (without blank space)!
Then the overhead combo works fine!

Petoe
06-20-2002, 07:20 AM
I think he was considering getting rid of the combo becase of layers.

I hope he never does that!

JayeM
06-20-2002, 11:56 AM
DN decided to keep the overhead combos for simple things that didn't require layers.

Happyman
06-20-2002, 01:51 PM
Overheads are much much easier to use.

Layers are a bit more tedious, taking up a screen for each one you use.

The hard part about overheads is they take up the entire tile.

Layers are usually designed to make everything under them semintransparent. e.g. A waterfall.

psycho77
06-21-2002, 02:50 PM
Ok this is going to sound really stupid but what exactly is a combo? like what is the definition of a combo? I'm kinda fuzzy on what is a combo and what isn't. We need a glossary for zquest.

thanks

supertails2001
06-21-2002, 03:28 PM
Read Zquest.txt.