PDA

View Full Version : oot

supertails2001
06-19-2002, 07:52 AM
Anyone else ever notice that the OoT theme is a more synthesized version of - drumroll, please - the whistle sound in LoZ! An ocarina (direct relationship to title) plays the whistle notes, while other instruments back it up. Also, a slight change to the ocarina tune happens after a few loops. Other than those differences, the OoT theme is the same!

VGWarrior
06-19-2002, 10:02 AM
Could you possibly post both versions so I can hear it for myself?

I sold my 64 half a year ago.

Raichu86
06-19-2002, 10:48 AM
I never noticed that.

*imagines the sounds*

You're right!

supertails2001
06-19-2002, 11:44 AM
OK. VGWarrior, check out my site (http://www.geocities.com/supertails2001/) where I have uploaded the OoT midi. Unfortunately, I don't have the whistle song, so you'll have to play ZC to hear that.

Mak-X
06-19-2002, 05:58 PM
Yup, the title screen theme for Ocarina of Time plays the old whistle tune from The Legend of Zelda.

There are other things in the game that nod towards the past Zeldas. Like Mido says "Grumble grumble" when you talk to him at the beginning of the game, and the Hyrule Castle guard at the gate blocking the path to Hyrule Castle will say "KEEP IT A SECRET FROM EVERYONE!" when you pay him to let you pass.

There's an elevator in the Forest Temple like the elevators from the Zelda 2 palaces. Princess Zelda's theme from A Link to the Past returns. Kakariko Village starts out with a harmonic tune, and when Link returns as an adult its more orchestrated and just like the tune from Zelda 3: A Link to the Past. I think Saira's Theme/The Lost Woods theme is a version of the Lost Woods theme from A Link to the Past. Ganon's theme returns.

Majora's Mask had a very different version of the Ballad of the Wind Fish theme from Link's Awakening. In the Zora's place, each of the band members plays a tune from a past Zelda game. The guy on the drums plays the cave music from A Link to the Past. The guy with the guitar plays The Legend of Zelda's underworld dungeon theme. The band leader at the keyboard plays the Game Over or ending theme of The Legend of Zelda.

And I think the Milk Bar's theme sounds so familar but I can't place it.

Daarkseid
06-19-2002, 08:24 PM
This doesn't really have anything to do with Zelda Classic... so this will be moved to a more appropriated location.

Moved to General Gaming Discussion.

Cronic
06-19-2002, 09:00 PM
Heh, Funny thing is... If you use the ZC theme then all this discussion of the whistle sound has lead to a whirlwhind (In ZC discussion) I with the magic whistle... the ocarina just isn't the same.

Elemental Knight
06-19-2002, 10:07 PM
The Whistle theme from OoT and Loz is the same as in Super Mario Brothers 3. The whistle serves the same function, really, it summons a whirlwind to mess with you. The only difference is that whistles in the Mushroom Kingdom are made of really cheap plastic, and break after one use.

Just goes to show that, yes, Hylian manufacturers sell to Mushroomite retailers [All the whistles but one come from secret Toads]. Considering this, I wouldn't be suprised if Hyrule and the Mushroom Kingdom are just two (very large) islands on the same planet. Think about the number of times Mario and Link have cameo-ed in their respective worlds. Malon and Talon have Mario blood in them (look at Talon, and look at Malon's commemorative pendant, which she probably got from a Mushroomite manufacturer), Link slept in Rose Town (SMRPG) on his adventurers (and he looked old, too, so it wouldn't suprise me if it was around Link's Awakening. They were released around the same time, too, I think).

Heck, Mario and Link probably get together to watch 'the game' on Monday nights (or the Hylian equivalent thereof)!

The Silent Assassin
06-19-2002, 10:17 PM
You all just NOW realized this...

Elemental Knight
06-19-2002, 10:50 PM
No, I knew about the whistle-tune the first time I re-played OoT, some time ago. You can't mistake that faithful "dun-dun-DUUUN, dunanun..."

Mak-X
06-19-2002, 11:31 PM
The whistle and the tune in Super Mario Bros. 3 is from Zelda because they're both Nintendo games made by Shigeru Miyamoto and his team. Same with Malon, Talon and Ingo. They're counterparts of Peach, Mario, and Luigi respectively. The little accessories they wear that look like Bowser's head is like a in game joke. Ingo even has Luigi's old colors of white and green. Mario and Link, Hyrule and the Mushroom Kingdom, they don't exist in the same world...