PDA

View Full Version : Scientists have TELEPORTED a laser beam!

Menokh
06-18-2002, 03:08 AM
You read that correctly. They teleported a laser beam encoded with data to a position a yard away in a nanosecond. It involved destroying it and recontructing the exact same beam of photons in a billionth of a second!
I first heard this on the 11 o'clock news on ABC. I just now stubled across a Yahho news artucle about it. They expect to use this process for matter soon. And they think it would be technologically feasable to teleort humans, but not likely due to the extreme complexity of a human.

Here is the link: right here (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=&ncid=721&e=10&u=/ap/20020617/ap_on_re_au_an/australia_teleportation_1)

Dracula
06-18-2002, 03:41 AM
...CHRIST...

Breaking up a data filled laser light into peices, and constructing it a yard away?!?!?! Not bad... for a start.

Rafnul
06-18-2002, 03:45 AM
It would be bad for a finish though... I hope this won't like run out of funding or something stupid like that. It's a great breakthrough and people might just throw it away because of money... It's happened before, but Australia's a good place.

slothman
06-18-2002, 03:52 AM
Are you sure they made it a yard away in 1 billionth of a second. Light only travels about a foot per nano-second. So that would be faster than light.

Menokh
06-18-2002, 04:06 AM
Originally posted by slothman
Are you sure they made it a yard away in 1 billionth of a second. Light only travels about a foot per nano-second. So that would be faster than light.

Thats the impression I got from the article.
I could have read it the wrong way, though. And if that is in fact faster than light, than I must have read wrong.

But none the less teleportation is an amazing discovery and will have many implications in the future, how far in the future is determned by the money factor.

MasterSwordUltima
06-18-2002, 04:11 AM
Sweet zombie jesus on a po-go stick. This means that those dreams I had when I was 5 about MegaMan being real in the future aren't completly false. BOO YAH! I wanna be teleported!!!

Menokh
06-18-2002, 04:15 AM
Originally posted by MasterSwordUltima
Sweet zombie jesus on a po-go stick. This means that those dreams I had when I was 5 about MegaMan being real in the future aren't completly false. BOO YAH! I wanna be teleported!!!

You do realize that even when the manage to teleport large objects, that humans have one little added complication(we are living) don't you? In theory a living object could be teleported, but no-one knows for sure what would happen.

obi
06-18-2002, 04:23 AM
You might be slightly screwed up if you got teleported, your memories might get messed up, your personalitiy would be 'different' due to the way your brain aranges your nurons which control your memories, how you actually think, I mean, they must first atomise you, and then recreate you. You might just end up being an empty body....

But, I also would love to be teleported despite this, who knows, they might find a way to record the brain's 'status' like in 'the 6th day'.

Daarkseid
06-18-2002, 04:49 AM
Ya know, this teleportation thing could make the perfect suicide device. You would have the benefit of dying, while the rest of the world has the benefit of another you. The whole selfishness factor in suicide would become obselete.

I'm refering to of course the idea that when you're teleported, you're broken down into your smallest pieces, teleported, then rebuilt with those pieces or some data assembling the pieces into you again, however you're original conciousness was previously destroyed so the you that entered the teleportation device is actually gone, replaced with a clone of sorts...

obi
06-18-2002, 05:14 AM
You know, this could actually have ther implicatins, you cloud put some world leader through it, and then edit his mind slightly so that you could control him, I mean, you could just as easily have the machine put some sort of control device imputted into his head to act as like a subconcuois suggestion...

You could rule the world....

AlexMax
06-18-2002, 09:08 AM
Dude, this KICKS ASS!

I wanna be the first one they teleport.

Raichu86
06-18-2002, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Menokh
You do realize that even when the manage to teleport large objects, that humans have one little added complication(we are living) don't you? In theory a living object could be teleported, but no-one knows for sure what would happen.

Of course, they aught to try it on lab rats before they think about doing it to humans.

Originally posted by AlexMax
I wanna be the first one they teleport.

What if it turns out humans would be killed by this process, even though the lab rats wouldn't? :D I think I want to see another human teleport first...

PrfectGREG
06-18-2002, 11:25 AM
This would be cool, you could travel the world in seconds!

Dracula
06-18-2002, 12:05 PM
Let'sjust hope it's not like the movie "The Fly" :eek: Thatmight be problem...

AH CRAP!!! That would KICK ASS!!! There could be REAL VAMPIRES!!! Holy SHIT!!! w00t!!!

Selah
06-18-2002, 12:07 PM
Bitchin Beam me up scottie

Fatty Lumpkin
06-18-2002, 12:36 PM
It'd probably only work on inanimate materials, but who knows!
heh, heh! Object to Teleport: Earth Place to Teleport To: The Sun

plith
06-18-2002, 12:39 PM
Practical applications? How 'bout... you send a team of people up towards Mars. Scientists develop a teleporting device that can span that far (it would have to be pretty accurate of course), and food/supplies are sent up there regularly.

EDIT: Even better. Save the data for the mass that was put together. You've just created some sort of food-making machine. Would that work? How should I know? I'm just some dumb kid at his computer.