PDA

View Full Version : ...GBA ripoff?

Dracula
06-18-2002, 02:03 AM
WTF?!?!?! (http://pocket.ign.com/articles/355/355177p1.html)

Just surfing IGN for a sec, and I find this thing from Korea... "Game Park 32"? Just look at it...

http://pocketmedia.ign.com/pocket/image/gp32gba_030802.jpg

It just SCREAMS wannabe, poser, imposter. They D-Pad looks like a small XBox D-pad before being melted down. It can also be hooked up to a Windows PC via USB, and copies the GBC's ability to play multiplayer games without a cable. It can play MP#'s, but only in XXXXXXXX.MP3 format. And it has a loading screen, like a PSX... Some games, even slower. And some loading takes place durring gameplay, so it might go really slow.

As for the game screenshots, they don't look too bad. The only thing they say is the framerate can be a bit choppy. The graphics may look a lot better than the GBA, but like I always say here, graphics don't make a game, so we really don't know how the gameplay is or anything else.

I just hope this thing stays in Korea, it will not get the attention it might want against the GBA. It has the same things the GBA will have in the future, so what's the difference?

Menokh
06-18-2002, 02:15 AM
It most certainly screams rip off.

It will fail if brought to the US or even Japan, because it is too easy to pirate games so game developers won't exactly like the whole idea, and it can only link up with Windows PC's which leaves out 15% of the desktop computing market.

the only thing going for this handheld is the 8 megs of ram.

Daarkseid
06-18-2002, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by Menokh
It most certainly screams rip off.

the only thing going for this handheld is the 8 megs of ram.

No... it also has two stereo speakers and a resolution of 320x240.
It looks to be a fine piece of work anyhow, despite the fact it could never compete with the GBA.

That 320x240 resolution is nice though... if only the GBA could've managed that.

Hermit
06-18-2002, 02:30 AM
Originally posted by Dracula
WTF?!?!?! (http://pocket.ign.com/articles/355/355177p1.html)

Just surfing IGN for a sec, and I find this thing from Korea... "Game Park 32"? Just look at it...

http://pocketmedia.ign.com/pocket/image/gp32gba_030802.jpg

It just SCREAMS wannabe, poser, imposter. They D-Pad looks like a small XBox D-pad before being melted down. It can also be hooked up to a Windows PC via USB, and copies the GBC's ability to play multiplayer games without a cable. It can play MP#'s, but only in XXXXXXXX.MP3 format. And it has a loading screen, like a PSX... Some games, even slower. And some loading takes place durring gameplay, so it might go really slow.

As for the game screenshots, they don't look too bad. The only thing they say is the framerate can be a bit choppy. The graphics may look a lot better than the GBA, but like I always say here, graphics don't make a game, so we really don't know how the gameplay is or anything else.

I just hope this thing stays in Korea, it will not get the attention it might want against the GBA. It has the same things the GBA will have in the future, so what's the difference?

It is quite apparent you already hate whatever this thing may turn out to be, but do tell us why ? You say it SCREAMS wannabe, imposter, etc, and whatnot... yet you could say the same about any game systems.

Is a PS2 or Gamecube a wannabe because the Dreamcast came out first ? I think not. Was the Game Gear a wannabe to the GameBoy ? I think not. I find your comments somewhat childish on the subject. By your logic, any 128bit styled system is a wannabe Dreamcast, since it came first... ie. any handheld after the Gameboy Advance is a ripoff of it... pfft.

No one has ever come close to competing with Nintendo in the handheld arena, whether others were superior or not. It may be very similiar to the GBA, but so what ? Handhelds made by others aren't allowed all these features that the GBA has/will have, otherwise it's just a ripoff ? That's stupid.

Just stupid...

Daarkseid
06-18-2002, 02:36 AM
Also, this system is going to get ports of Street Fighter Alpha 3 and Breath of Fire III... two games from Capcom...

Even better is the 320x240 resolution could do a much better job of retaining SFA3's graphics than the GBA could.

I'm actually kind of dissippointed this won't come out in the US.

Warlock
06-18-2002, 02:47 AM
I kind of enjoy Nintendo's little monopoly on the handheld market. It's bad enough there are three different consoles out there, at least having one solid handheld ensures you don't have to go buying several just to get the games you like because they are spaced out..

I kind of wish there was only one console.. I don't really care who would make it, so long as it was good, and got all the games (which includes Nintendo's titles, half the reason I like their consoles).. just so long as it wasn't Microsoft who made it (because I don't trust them and monopolies.. they have already been screwing everyone with Windows now anyways)

Dracula
06-18-2002, 04:00 AM
Originally posted by Hermit

It is quite apparent you already hate whatever this thing may turn out to be, but do tell us why ? You say it SCREAMS wannabe, imposter, etc, and whatnot... yet you could say the same about any game systems.

Is a PS2 or Gamecube a wannabe because the Dreamcast came out first ? I think not. Was the Game Gear a wannabe to the GameBoy ? I think not. I find your comments somewhat childish on the subject. By your logic, any 128bit styled system is a wannabe Dreamcast, since it came first... ie. any handheld after the Gameboy Advance is a ripoff of it... pfft.

No one has ever come close to competing with Nintendo in the handheld arena, whether others were superior or not. It may be very similiar to the GBA, but so what ? Handhelds made by others aren't allowed all these features that the GBA has/will have, otherwise it's just a ripoff ? That's stupid.

Just stupid...

Show me ONE post I made that said the GCN or PS2 are ripoffs of DC, or Game Gear is a ripoff of GB. Sorry, I never said that. A rip-off to me is a CLONE. Sorry if I got you wrong here, but I consider this to be a CLONE of the GBA. And if you read many other posts on my ranting against some systems, you'd understand that I focus on Gameplay, not graphics, sound, and other features. Without gamplay, what the hell would a game be? And I hate CLONES, such as this. PS2 and GCN are not CLONES off of the Dreamcast. THIS, in my own OPINION, is. It doesn't appeal to me, I thought other AGN'ers might agree, and I don't care what you say, no I'm not a fanboy. My post was given here because of the first ammendment, Freedom of Speech. I wanted to show my own opinion to you all, and I can see that's what you're doing and that's fine, but it seems that many people, forums or real life, get me wrong all the time. I thought I clearly said, we don't kbow about it's gameplay, so how would we know about it? If it appeals to you, go ahead, try it out, I really don't care. I know it doesn't look as appealing as GBA, so I know I'll stick to my handheld. I thought some people here would think the same damn thing as me, but I have my opinions, and so do you, but before you judge someone elses, think about what they are TRYING to say here.

(don't think I have something against you, it's just I'm tired and I had a new asshole ripped for me by my mom's boyfriend, so I'm sorry)

Mak-X
06-18-2002, 12:50 PM
"The system can be hooked up to any Windows-based PC through the included USB adapter cable; by downloading the software from the Game Park website, users can upload and download Game Park-compatible files through the cable. This feature alone offers great promise since basement developers can easily create and distribute homebrewed Game Park software for everyone to download and enjoy"

That interests me. :)

I think Nintendo could use some competition eventually for Game Boy, though I wouldn't want to see them rolling out a new Game Boy better than GBA anytime soon.

KingArthur
06-18-2002, 02:40 PM
The games for that thing come on little MultiMedia cards making it easy to copy games. And it is open source so ANYONE can develope for it without having to buy any expensive equipment, it can all be done on a PC. Its a VERY nice system, I'd get one if I had $200 to spare

MottZilla
06-18-2002, 02:59 PM
They need to make a NEW GBA soon actually, one that is capable of better resolutions and such. And ofcourse, keep the backward compatability.

Flash Man
06-19-2002, 02:51 AM
It also is supposed to be getting a port of MMX5, or one of the X series. Although I didn't like it that would still be cool to play portable.

Daarkseid
06-19-2002, 02:57 AM
I don't believe its a ripoff... its just another contender in the portable game market. How are they supposed to not make a ripoff? Somehow shape the system itself differently? So why isn't Nintendo accused of ripping off the Dual Shock with is GC controller? Their designs are very similar.

I think of this new system as slightly innovative, givin' the fact it plays MP3s and can connect with a PC. Nintendo is never going to make a hand held like that... although I imagine in the future Nintendo will come out with a handheld that uses those GC mini-discs... that will be cool.

Hermit
06-19-2002, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by Dracula

Show me ONE post I made that said the GCN or PS2 are ripoffs of DC, or Game Gear is a ripoff of GB. Sorry, I never said that. A rip-off to me is a CLONE. Sorry if I got you wrong here, but I consider this to be a CLONE of the GBA. And if you read many other posts on my ranting against some systems, you'd understand that I focus on Gameplay, not graphics, sound, and other features. Without gamplay, what the hell would a game be? And I hate CLONES, such as this. PS2 and GCN are not CLONES off of the Dreamcast. THIS, in my own OPINION, is. It doesn't appeal to me, I thought other AGN'ers might agree, and I don't care what you say, no I'm not a fanboy. My post was given here because of the first ammendment, Freedom of Speech. I wanted to show my own opinion to you all, and I can see that's what you're doing and that's fine, but it seems that many people, forums or real life, get me wrong all the time. I thought I clearly said, we don't kbow about it's gameplay, so how would we know about it? If it appeals to you, go ahead, try it out, I really don't care. I know it doesn't look as appealing as GBA, so I know I'll stick to my handheld. I thought some people here would think the same damn thing as me, but I have my opinions, and so do you, but before you judge someone elses, think about what they are TRYING to say here.

(don't think I have something against you, it's just I'm tired and I had a new asshole ripped for me by my mom's boyfriend, so I'm sorry)

By the logic you displayed in your first post, yes, this is what it comes to. So basically you did say it without even typing it.

So... because they look the same... it is therefore a ripoff in your opinion ? (hence your use of "CLONE") Or maybe... because they can do some of the same things... then it's a ripoff in your opinion ? (hence your use of "CLONE")

Your post SCREAMS fanboy (as you referred to it as), nothing more. I can think of many systems that basically do the same things, that you probably wouldn't refer to as a CLONE, yet by your logic you could here. How odd :eyebrow:

By your continued logic... an Xbox is a PS2 "CLONE". A Gamecube would be equivelant to a Dreamcast "CLONE". Not because they are boxed differently, in different colored plastics, but because they do the same things as their counterparts.

Are all PC's "CLONES" of each other ? they can all do the same things and basically look the same. Are all televisions "CLONES" of each other ? (same as above) Are all VCR's, CD or DVD players "CLONES" of each other ? (same as above)

Face it man, they are fanboy posts :shrug:

Otherwise, why would you give a shit what's going on in Korea anyway ?

Answer: The Nintendo fanboy in you.

Need I say more ;)

Look at you POLL choices for christ sakes...

"Some GBA comment..."
"No it cannot compare to Nintendo..."
"Another GBA comment..."

I fail to see the system at hand mentioned anywhere in there.

Geeeez...

Selah
06-19-2002, 12:23 PM
hmmmmm never knew korea had an electonic maker. hmph

K-Teclis
06-19-2002, 01:35 PM
I like GBA much better!