PDA

View Full Version : USA wins again! Woot!

inori
06-17-2002, 04:41 AM
World Cup (soccer/football for those not paying attention) round of 16 score: USA 2, Mexico 0.

First shutout by the USA in the World Cup since 1950. First win, of any sort, by the USA in a World Cup elimination game.

Next on the list: Germany. This one could be tough.

Rafnul
06-17-2002, 05:07 AM
You aren't one of those people who like sets fire to the opposing teams living quarters are you

leeer
06-17-2002, 05:21 AM
USA was great against Mexiko!

After I watched this game I suppose that USA will beat Germany (and thats remarkable because I AM German).

The quarter finals will be amazing!

DukenukemX
06-17-2002, 05:33 AM
I seriously don't think USA will beat Germany.

I think USA has been lucky so far. Of course that don't matter since we all know it's going to be Brazil or Spain that gets the cup anyway.

Pretty cool that they made it this far. Since a lot of people think USA is a sucky team.

inori
06-17-2002, 06:16 AM
The US has certainly been up and down...

The game against Portugal was great, although they laid back in the second half.
In the Korean game, they got a 1-0 lead and bunkered down. It was too early to play defense for the rest of the game; Brad Friedel the human wall saved our point.
Poland was kinda ugly. After the two early goals, it was pretty much decided in the first five minutes.

The Mexico game, I thought, was really well-played by the US team (though I'd like to see more possession for us; Mexico dominated control of the ball). The rivalry showed in the one red and ten yellow cards dispensed by the referee (though at least two USA cards were for time-wasting and not contact). The US goals were anything but luck; they were two well-assembled attacks with two good results. However, even as an American, I'll concede that Mexico deserved a penalty for our pretty blatant handball in the box. (Of course, the way Friedel's been playing, a penalty is no guarantee of a goal for an opponent of the USA. :D)

Thanks for the support, leeer. It's so disappointing to go over to FIFA's boards and see all the political messages (lots of flaming, anti-American bashing, and stupid USA people retaliating with more patriotism than common sense) posted on what's supposed to be a sports forum. I look forward to the USA-Germany match and hope it will be well-played on both sides. Good luck to both teams; if Germany should defeat the USA (which I fear they are the favorites to do), I will be cheering for them (though I'm having a hard time cheering against South Korea or Japan).

Drunken Tiger
06-17-2002, 07:19 AM
USA will have a tough match ahead of them.. But todays match was played well.. I think they will go into the next game confident and hopefully perform to the best of their abilities..

EWild
06-17-2002, 08:29 AM
Well I'm Canadian and Canada aren't in it so I rooted for USA. Now that was a good game. w00t! 2-0 w00t! :D

zfreak2004
06-17-2002, 09:17 AM
I fail to see what you people see in soccer, to me its boring, but it is neat that the USA is doing so well.

EWild
06-17-2002, 09:20 AM
Hey I don't like soccer that much but hey, who cares, USA are winning something.

me2
06-17-2002, 10:47 AM
I'm Hispanic and I don't feel that proud US won. At least Spain beat Ireland! :p

Darunia
06-17-2002, 10:53 AM
Right, Me2, Right :D

And in the ast second, with the lasp penalty.. that was so tense.. until... SPAIN WINNED! WOOHOO!! (I wondered when I could say that! :D)

The Silent Assassin
06-17-2002, 12:18 PM
Cool, the US made it to the elite eight!

inori
06-17-2002, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by me2
I'm Hispanic and I don't feel that proud US won. At least Spain beat Ireland! :p

Yup, it's too bad that the USA had to face Mexico so early in the knockout round. Two CONCACAF teams in the final 16, and they have to play each other first. :cry:

Congrats to your team as well, Darunia! Those penalty shootouts have got to be tense. (Though the way Friedel's been playing, I like the USA's chances if a game comes down to PKs.)

Ich
06-17-2002, 04:12 PM
I don't think they can beat Germany, zee Jermans are uhnshtoppable und vee should just giff up. jk.

millmill
06-17-2002, 04:20 PM
I stayed up and watched the entire game, even though I had to get up to goto work at 6am. Oh well, it was worth it, as I got to watch the US beat their soccer arch rivals. Unfortunately, I won't be able to watch the game against Germany, since I'll have to be at work and won't have any access to a tv:cry: .