PDA

View Full Version : Forest and brush fires

King Link
06-14-2002, 06:41 PM
Early this year, wildfires have been flaring up all around my city. I mean everywhere.

One of the fires is several times larger than my city, and my city has nearly one million in population. When the fires first started, the city was literally choked with smoke, the whole city.

The winds haven't been as bad recently, so the fire has not spread too much and the smoke hasn't drifted into the city, but unfortunatly, the fires have advanced on a number of communities around the city. A few have been in a danger and a number of towns have been evacuated.

It's quite bad, there are fires everywhere. Even in the river valley, only two weeks ago, a fire started. I actually drove straight through the fire itself. Helicopters were flying overhead, dumping water.

The season so far has been really dry so fires have even flared up inside my city. Many natural habitats for animals have been destroyed. It is a real shame.

Anybody else have forest or brush fires around your community? We have fires around here every year. Who else has fires around your area? Or has had some recently?

Dirk the Daring
06-14-2002, 06:44 PM
Not that many around where I live. I work for a Sawmill, and sometimes we will have some of our timberland catch fire. It is pretty wicked to see a forest fire up close.

King Link
06-14-2002, 06:45 PM
Yeah, the flames can really flame up high as the trees burn. You can see the flames from miles and miles away.

Jer1400
06-14-2002, 06:49 PM
I lit a bon fire under this bridge with my friends Nick and Dude. We kept putting dead grass on it, and we didn't know that you could see the smoke from above the bridge. Then some lady called the cops and we had to swim down the creek to get away.

Dirk the Daring
06-14-2002, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by Jer1400
and we didn't know that you could see the smoke from above the bridge.

Let that be a lesson for ya, smoke rises!!

Drunken Tiger
06-15-2002, 03:49 AM
We had a shitload of bushfires here.. Especially near Sydney...

Beldaran
06-15-2002, 04:07 AM
We had some serious fires here in Washington State in which some fire fighters lost thier lives. It was pretty awful.:(

slothman
06-15-2002, 04:55 AM
Luckely for me I don't live in an area where fires are common. It's much wetter and colder up here than where you guys live. I just need to worry about ice storms. They aren't much better though.

King Link
06-15-2002, 08:42 AM
Well, the prairies now of the Great White North are quite warm, 25 - 30 degrees celcius, and the area around is quite dry, making fires easy to start. We need some rain to just fall from the sky. There is a possibility of storm showers later today though which may benefit the firefighters.