PDA

View Full Version : "What the Hell?" or "The Nostril Cunundrum"

Beldaran
06-13-2002, 09:17 AM
This is rediculous. Someone please explain this to me.

I have allergies REALLY bad and at night, my nose gets all plugged up. This is where it gets wierd. Only one nostril is plugged up. Depending on what side of my body I am laying on, the nostril on the raised side of my body is not plugged, and the one on the lower side is. If I roll over, they gradually switch. Does anyone ever experience this? What the hell? Is there some universal rule that says my bottom nostril has to be plugged, no matter what? Why aren't both nostrils plugged? If I'm so freaking allergic to the air, how come my body can tolerate breathing through one nostril? It just doesn't make any damn sense.

I think that my body was created in a laboratory to piss me off.:mad:

plith
06-13-2002, 09:41 AM
Maybe it's gravity. Whatever plugs up one nostril slowly makes it's way towards the center of the earth.

obi
06-13-2002, 09:46 AM
Or, it may be that as the side that is on the bottom takes in air, it takes up many little fires and what not off the pillow that you can't see. When youturn over, this is then blown out of that nose and then it begins to clog up the other.

Quite simple, really ;)

Beldaran
06-13-2002, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by plith
Maybe it's gravity. Whatever plugs up one nostril slowly makes it's way towards the center of the earth.

No its not that, because my nose isn't plugged up with substance. Because its an allergenic reaction, what happens is that my sinuses swell and close, blocking the passage of air. Thus, blowing my nose has almost no effect, as there is nothing to blow.

It's really wierd.

plith
06-13-2002, 10:12 AM
Well that would explain a few things... I get allergies too all the time, but I never bother trying to find out what's actually happening with them.

Rijuhn
06-13-2002, 10:32 AM
OH MY GOD!!! I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT YOU HAVEN'T FIGURED IT OUT. It's so simple, the mucus in the back of you sinus is "rolled" to one side because of gravity. Try this, sit up for a good 15 minutes or so, and see if both nostrils are sorta hard to breathe through. The same thing happens to be whenever I have a reaction to something. I prefer to have one good nostril as opposed to 2 okay ones.