PDA

View Full Version : The Windows Commercials (Really Apple)

The Silent Assassin
06-12-2002, 10:00 PM
I'm watching the NBA Playoffs, and during a commercial break, this nerdy looking guy starts talking about Windows. He reveals he is not happy with Windows, and loves Mac OS X. At the end, he reveals he is a Windows LAN operator for a living. That's great.

It then followed up later with another one, about how Windows has to "own" your PC, and how Mac OS X lets you be. They're pretty funny.

I think the URL for these are at:

http://www.apple.com/switch

King Link
06-12-2002, 10:16 PM
I haven't seen those ads yet. Was that ABC or NBC?

Anyway, I haven't seen them, but I've always seemed to like Mac OS Operating Systems quite a bit.

I've got a slow modem, but I'm going to watch for those ads, they sound funny.

Menokh
06-12-2002, 10:23 PM
These comercials are actually decent.
At least Apple's using real people who wrote their own parts(yes these are real people who switched, I did abit of research on it).

Technically Windows does have to own your PC. Read the EULA of the past few versions of Windows (XP, 2000, Me, 98) and see what I mean.

And I like MacOS as well. I even made my Linux desktop look like it. I'm getting a nice new Mac this summer, and I'm happy about it; I'll put Mandrake on it as well; OSX and Mandrake Linux, what an exceptional combo; triple boot when I'm done, OS 9, OS X, and Mandrake(Macs come with OS X and OS 9 for compatibility reasons).

These ads are sorta lame though; but at least it's better than 'Windows XP let you fly'.

Jemsee
06-12-2002, 10:29 PM
Question.
How come Mac dosn't just make a OS that will fit on any PC?
It seems I need to buy a MAC PC to run a Mac OS, why?
Can you put a Mac OS on a standard PC like you can with Linux?

Menokh
06-12-2002, 10:48 PM
Apple hasn't released OS X for the PC becuase they know that it is an extremely hostile market. Ultimately it comes down to the fact that they are scared of MS. This fear has resulted in MacOS X needing a Power PC G3 or G4 processor to run; in a bid to protect themselves.
There are rumors floating around that Apple is secretly working on an x86 version of OS X. The proof is why would Apple make an x86 version of DarwinBSD(the core of OS X) if they didn't have bigger plans for it?

And Apple computers are based on RISC hardware which by it's very design is faster than x86 hardware, so porting to the x86 PC is not an easy task. It can be done, since DarwinBSD is available for x86.

Rijuhn
06-12-2002, 11:05 PM
I'm hearing so much stuff about Linux and Mac OS that I'm going insane. I'd love to switch to Linux, but this computer is the best one I've ever seen. I don't know why my computer is so stable, but my guess is because it was preinstalled, so that makes it more stable because I didn't install it, it has Pentium 4, and it is really powerful. It has Win ME, which has been the best so far.

I just don't know if I should switch, because "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" but I don't know how much better Linux is.

Menokh
06-12-2002, 11:09 PM
In my experience ME is the stablest windows I've used. Preinstalled or self-installed doesn't affect stability at all.

You don't have to switch completely. With Mandrake, you can resize your Fat32 partition and install Linux on the resulting free space. If you choose this option, be sure to defragment your FAT32 partition first though.

vegeta1215
06-13-2002, 12:13 AM
Have you guys seen any of the IBM Infra-structure commercials? They all involve baseketball in some way or anything, and they relate it to computers. They have them on Tech TV all the time, and they're great.

This one has a player get knocked out and they replace him with a guy with "Linux" on his jersey, who begins to score points. This one guys asks the coach, "Where'd you get this Linux guy, I mean, he only works for peanuts?", and the coach says, "Yes, but he really loves the game". And then it shows a shot of the crowd and people have "Go UNIX" signs, and there's a guy in a penguin suit. IBM makes me happy :)