PDA

View Full Version : WTFH!

E-FORCE
06-10-2002, 07:46 PM
This is a big surprise! (http://www.planetgamecube.com/news.cfm?action=item&id=3108)
Link will be a secret character on Soul Caliber 2 on GC and Arcade versions. I would not think this would be fake due to the fact that Namco is working with Nintendo on the Triforce Arcade board.

*EDIT* Anyone have that crappy IGNInsider account? They have a story on the subject too.

EWild
06-10-2002, 08:06 PM
Woah Link on SC2! But I HIGHLY doubt it that he will be on X-Box and PS2.

The Thing
06-10-2002, 08:09 PM
Hmmm that seems interesting I have no problem with it as long as we don't see him on PS2 or X-Box.

MottZilla
06-10-2002, 08:15 PM
=\ Wtf, namco, are you becoming someone's bitch? I do NOT want to see that panty & dress wearing fucker in SC2.

The Silent Assassin
06-10-2002, 08:27 PM
Will there be blood with him? Heh...at least he'll have decent graphics!

Mak-X
06-10-2002, 10:40 PM
:)

or insert Gamepro review ratings for three 5s and a 4.5.

Brasel
06-10-2002, 11:51 PM
...and I'm the tooth fairy...

Warlock
06-11-2002, 12:02 AM
Hyrule Times Vol. 21
The Missing Link. Find out what GameCube game Adult Link is set to appear in next.

June 10, 2002 - Welcome to the latest edition of IGNinsider's Hyrule Times column. If there is one gaming franchise that has captured the imagination of young and older gamers alike, then it's the Zelda series. The Legend of Zelda success story began in 1986, when Nintendo laid the foundation for the series with the first game for the Famicom Disk System in Japan. The game may have been called Zelda no Densetsu (The Legend of Zelda), but the hero of the game was of course a green-shrouded little guy named Link. Although the Zelda series remains one of the most popular Nintendo franchises ever, many of the older titles have either faded from gamers' memory -- or some never played them to begin with. Even worse, even though there are tons of Zelda sites on the web, there is almost no decent video footage or images available of any of the classic Zelda games. We can't have that now, can we?

This column is designed to cover everything Zelda, from the classic games to the upcoming installments in the saga. With the new information we've gathered about the exciting new games for GameCube and Game Boy Advance, there will be plenty to talk about for weeks to come.

Bzzzzt. We interrupt our regularly scheduled Hyrule Times for a special announcement. If you were expecting a look back at Capcom's second Game Boy Color Zelda game, then check back next week.

The Missing Link

If you've read previous installments of Hyrule Times, you already know that every second reader letter posted in this column contains some sort of statement about Nintendo's upcoming Legend of Zelda for GameCube. Indeed, Link's new look was and still is the topic of many heated discussions among Zelda fans. Though the initial rage about the change from the more realistic presentation of the Spaceworld 2000 demo to the cel-shaded "Young Link" has somewhat subsided, positive feedback to Nintendo's controversial design decision is still rather rare. But consumer opinion has definitely changed for the better since Nintendo showed off a fully playable version of the as-of-yet untitled Zelda game at last month's E3 Expo. Then again, Nintendo's ability to create a fantastic playing game was never in question, was it?

But what about all those GameCube fans who fell in love with the grittier look and powerful depiction of a more grown-up Link battling Ganondorf? If Link's first GameCube adventure wasn't the place and time to see Link charge into battle, what game would deliver the more visceral fighting action this demo seemed to promise?

Soul Calibur II

Although not long ago Sony was claiming exclusivity of the next installment in the Soul Calibur franchise, the truth is that the arcade fighting game is still coming to all three next-generation consoles -- with one major distinction: the GameCube version has something special...

Yep, you better believe it: playable Link. Our sources in Japan confirmed to us that as an added bonus for GameCube fans, Namco and Nintendo are adding "Adult Link" to the Soul Calibur II roster as a playable character. Given Link's tried-and-true combat abilities (after all, he's been in both Smash Bros. games and has braved a dozen standalone adventures), the nimble Hylian should make a formidable foe against the likes of Siegfried, Astaroth, Kilik, and Xianghua. Though details on Link's exact role in Soul Calibur are non-existent at this point, our green-shrouded friend will most likely be able to make use of his trusted Master Sword as well as some secondary weapons like the hookshot, boomerang, or the bow and arrow.

The surprise addition is no doubt a result of the initially harsh feedback to Nintendo's new direction with the look of the upcoming GameCube Zelda. Gamers wanted to play as "Spaceworld 2000 Link" in a game, so Nintendo used its close ties to arcade game developer Namco to make that dream come true. While not as exciting as the announcement of another Zelda adventure, Link's inclusion in Soul Calibur II is proof that Nintendo has not at all abandoned the concept of the more realistic Link seen in Ocarina of Time. And considering the quality of the original Soul Calibur, having the main star of one of Nintendo's very best game franchises appear in Namco's most critically acclaimed game can only be a good thing.

It is unclear at this point if the Xbox and PS2 versions of Soul Calibur II will feature any additional features or characters, but Link is obviously exclusive to the GameCube version.

E-FORCE
06-11-2002, 12:06 AM
Thank you very much Warlock for posting the story. SCII is so gonna kick ass!

mrz84
06-11-2002, 12:25 AM
must...get...GC....:kawaii:!

Rijuhn
06-12-2002, 07:38 PM
...Gonna play SC II....Must play SC II.....when does SC II come out??

zfreak2004
06-13-2002, 08:45 AM
Wild theory here. It may be be proven wrong easily since I've never played Soul Caliber. I'm sure everyone here remembers the Zelda footage on the GameCube demo reel for Space World 2000. Well what if it wasn't Zelda? What if it was actually SC 2? Which would also mean that Gannondorf would be in there as well.

The Silent Assassin
06-13-2002, 11:28 AM
I am interested to see the "background" story for Link for the game...

Mak-X
06-13-2002, 12:48 PM
The old Spaceworld demo from 2000 should have been Zelda. The camera views you saw wouldn't have been in the real game, they were only used to show off the power of GCN. And it was by Nintendo since Miyamoto said shortly after Spaceworld 2000 they went with the new cel shading style.

UnholyFreak
06-13-2002, 11:59 PM
News Article: Link to Appear in Soul Calibur 2
News Date: 06/10/2002
Source: Gamers.com
Link: http://www.gamers.com/news/1174273
Discuss it in the Forum!

Wha???

Discuss it in Talkback!

According to Gamers.com, Adult Link will be appearing in Namco's Soul Calibur 2 as a hidden, unlockable character. He won't require any sort of special hardware link-ups or anything to unlock, although the method of unlocking him may very well differ between the arcade and home versions. We'd also assume that Link will NOT be in the PS2 and Xbox versions of the game. Finally, seeing as how Soul Calibur is a weapons-based fighting series, you can expect the Master Sword to appear prominently.

Max says: Things keep getting more interesting with Nintendo and its relationships with third parties like Namco! With Miyamoto hinting that Sonic might be in Mario Kart, maybe we should have seen this coming. Adult Link (likely one reminiscent to the one in the SpaceWorld 2000 demo) in Soul Calibur II will be simply AWESOME and makes the GameCube version all the more enticing! And to think rumors of SC2 being PS2 exclusive ran rampant at E3... Fighting with Link is cool in SSBM to be sure, but Link in the SC system?!? Oh have mercy! What's next?

* Steven attempts to comment but can only manage to mumble something about "liking swords" before collapsing to the ground in a euphoric stupor

Zosha says: OMG YOU KNOW WHAT THIS MEANS? ZELDA ON XBOX AND PS2 OMG NINTENDO IS GOING 3RD PARTY!!!!!!! THE WORLD IS TEH ENDINGS!!!!

Seriously though, this is quite out of character for either company. I only wonder at the reason for this universe-crossover. I also wonder if OniLink will show up... Heh...

UnHoLy FrEaKs Say: That Zosha Guy is dumb as it says in the story may i copy and paste it 'We'd also assume that Link will NOT be in the PS2 and Xbox versions of the game.'

But Still It will be really cool!