PDA

View Full Version : Possible New Mario for GBA?

E-FORCE
06-09-2002, 10:25 PM
Nintendojo got their hands on a video that shows a cel-shaded version of a Mario game for GBA. The game is supposedly called Mario Universe and it's an actual game in development. Here's the link to the video! Enjoy! (http://www.nintendojo.com/infocus/view_item.php?1023574561)

Daarkseid
06-09-2002, 10:57 PM
Thats a GBA game eh? Very impressive...

E-FORCE
06-09-2002, 10:58 PM
Isn't it. I wonder how long it took them to develop the engine? It seems they put a whole lot of time into it.

Rijuhn
06-09-2002, 11:52 PM
NO WAY IN HELL. I will never believe that is for the GBA until it's announced officially by Nintendo. Those graphics are way out of the league of GBA, but even if it is for the GCN the game looks fun as hell.

millmill
06-10-2002, 12:14 AM
I have to agree with Rijuhn on this one. I'll wait for some sort of announcement from Nintendo, before I'd believe it to be real.

Warlock
06-10-2002, 01:05 AM
I think it looks legit, but only for a Gamecube title. There is no way a GBA could handle that for one thing. Another thing is that the screen isn't that large. There are too many pixels there..

Mak-X
06-10-2002, 01:14 AM
What the hell...cel shading continues.

It's definitely real. Maybe its that Mario 128 game or Marionette game that has been mentioned. Marionette... Mario does move all funny like a puppet or marionette...

:) Looks like from the brief game play that it plays similar to the past Super Mario Bros. games (SMB, SMB 3, SMW)

:) The style reminds me of Paper Mario and Yoshi's Island. I want to play it.

The graphic style of the game, just the way Mario moves, is just, its new, it like backs up everything Nintendo has been talking about lately with games.

There's no way that is a Game Boy Advance game. What it probably is a Gamecube game that will connect to Game Boy Advance for stuff. Could be the GCN logo part came before the movie recorded, or Nintendo just used the beginning logo like that.

Warlock
06-10-2002, 01:36 AM
Marionette!! I bet that's what it is!

Anyways, assuming it's real (like I said, no way it is a GBA title, but it looks very much like a Gamecube title.. maybe the opening thing is messed up, or it's there to throw ya off :D I dunno), it does look kinda cool. I dunno, I'd have to see more of the game. Sort of reminds me of Papadarapa tho :) I don't care about how it looks, as long as it's fun. Of course, you KNOW if it is in fact real, it will be worse than the whole "Celda sucks!! It's for kids!" crap that is going around.. *sigh*.. no one will be happy until they have the most violent, gruesome game ever.. doesn't matter if it sucks ass, as long as it's not "kiddie".. *sigh*..

Edit: A couple other things from looking at it again:

1.) Mario's head rotates (for the lives meter). It's too detailed to be pulled off as a 2d sprite. This is definately using some sort of 3d engine. GBA cannot do that (despite what Blue Roses made, from what I've seen it's only PSX quality 3d at best, something this is far above).

2.) A possibility is that the Game Boy logo could represent a link between a GameCube and GBA title (and since the clip was so short, the GBA title may have come after that footage)

Mak-X
06-10-2002, 01:39 AM
Seeing the gameplay at the end of the movie reminds me of playing Super Mario Bros. for the first time when I got my NES. Just the look of something I haven't seen before, not just nostaligia of old Mario games, but the fresh look.

Game Boy Advance can't do Super Mario 64 from what The Spot on Gamespot said.

It has to be Marionette. :)

Dracula
06-10-2002, 10:14 AM
It looks like a combination of Mode7, 2D separated sprite imaging, and added CG video... Looks pretty cool, but we might have to wait until we get some REAL info...

Orion
06-10-2002, 12:04 PM
Meh... I'm just happy we're getting Yoshi's Island. With Square back with Nintendo, maybe they are making a true sequel to Super Mario RPG?

Grasshopper
06-10-2002, 06:43 PM
I doubt it's Marionette. It's not pronounced MARIOnette, but MARIONette. It's a wooden puppet with strings. Like the Disney character, Pinocchio.

KingArthur
06-10-2002, 09:30 PM
http://www.nintendojo.com/infocus/view_item.php?1023574561

oooohhhh..... pretty. A NEW Mario for GBA (hopefully this be real)

The Silent Assassin
06-10-2002, 09:53 PM
I'll still wait for official news...

Mak-X
06-10-2002, 10:47 PM
Mario movies like a puppet or marionette from the look of the gameplay. Marionette and Super Mario 128 were 2 games mentioned by Shigeru Miyamoto or Nintendo a while back in addition to Mario Sunshine.

Mak-X
06-10-2002, 10:50 PM
Second topic about Mario Universe merged into the first topic starting from KingArthur.

Orion
06-11-2002, 12:36 AM
Sorry to debunk this whole thing, but this is from IGN Pocket Q and A:

Recently on the net a video of a 'Super Mario's Universe' for the GBA. I'm not sure where it came from, there was no announcement or anything by Nintendo, so my inclination is that its fake, but the thing is, it looks too good to be fake. I'm not sure, I thought with your sources, you can find out!

Khuffie

It's an incredibly believable video. Really. But there have been readers on the board that have done the sleuthing and have figured out that there's a distinct "Woo-hoo!" sound from the crowd that's the exact same "Woo-hoo!" from the crowd in one of our Spaceworld 2001 videos. I listened to both video's sound tracks, and the "Woo-hoo!" sound is in both videos. It's exact.

Which would indicate that someone probably faked a "conference" by filming a video wall, projected flashes to simulate the press, then "lifted" a few conference tracks with clapping and audio reverb...one of which was out of the Zelda video at Spaceworld 2001.

Awesome as that looks (and man, it does look good)...I think it's a hoax. That spinny Game Boy Advance thing at the beggining is so unlike what Nintendo usually does at these press events. And besides, if it WAS a press event, I wasn't invited...nor did I even hear about it.

-- Craig

Mak-X
06-11-2002, 12:45 AM
:( Miyamoto Shrine said it was fake too but didn't give any explaination. Someone must have done a really really really really good job faking it or it is real...

"marionette" and "super mario 128" are real titles though (don't know if sm128 is still a title)...

Warlock
06-11-2002, 12:54 AM
I don't know what to think.. I still think it looks rather real, although I will admit I think that Bowser looked identical to the beanie nintendo was selling of him :D

I dunno..