PDA

View Full Version : bandwidth?

Masamune
06-09-2002, 07:29 PM
why is agn still having bandwidth issues? does someone need to clean out more old topics or something?

King Link
06-09-2002, 07:31 PM
I don't know, that may be it, but it happens once in a while, and it isn't a common thing. But maybe War Lord can answer that better.

mike5000
06-09-2002, 07:50 PM
Yeah I got that white screen too!

MrCow
06-09-2002, 07:59 PM
umm bandwidth has to do with the amount of people viewing the site and amount of files being shared the topics shouldnt have anything to do with it

Gerudo
06-09-2002, 08:32 PM
actually, bandwidth is the measurement of data transferred between the server and people viewing the site.

ah but AG is still here, im happy :D

The Savior
06-09-2002, 09:12 PM
I'm just glad it was only gone for a little while, unlike last time.
I used the time to save every single Penny Arcade to my harddrive. :D

Drunken Tiger
06-09-2002, 09:26 PM
Im glad its back up..... It was down when it was about 1am over here so i went to sleep..But its now 11am and its back up!!!:tongue:

theplustwo
06-09-2002, 09:27 PM
sounds like a good use of the time to me :P

I never realized how much I would miss agn until it was gone.. I'm just glad peoples accounts werent lost!

Nick
06-09-2002, 10:01 PM
Ok, I see the forums are back. :)

Now, to continue posting.

Menokh
06-09-2002, 10:47 PM
meh.
It happens sometimes.
What happened is somehow people downloaded and uploaded around 15 gigs worth of stuff in less than a month(I don't know when Sipernet starts counting bandwidth for AGN, it could by the 1st of the month, but I could be wrong). I could be wrong about how much bandwisth AGN is alloted monthly.

Nick
06-09-2002, 10:51 PM
I thought this would be like the Christmas incident, so I was ready to move on to another forum until it came back. Oh well. :shrug:

Glad it is back. :)

*b*
06-09-2002, 10:55 PM
glad to see the forums back :P

theplustwo
06-09-2002, 10:59 PM
that suxxorz that there is a bandwidth limit. If I had money, tell you what I'd do, go down town, by WL an ass-kicking server or two...

Jemsee
06-09-2002, 11:15 PM
I didn't know message boards like this had a bandwidth limet.
I had herd that it happened before and that it could last from 3 to 30 days.
Glad it came back so quick.
It would be nice to know all the ins and outs of this stuff, like how much bandwidth we get each month and how how much we use.
Be neet to see a graf of the last 12 months, it would be like a usage meter.
Not that this is need to know information, but would be interesting.

Menokh
06-09-2002, 11:24 PM
To clear up bandwidth issues.

AGN is hosted by Sipernet. Sipernet is a web host that you have to pay a certain amount of money monthly to use. Geocities is a free host. Most free hosts suck. Th only other option is to use you own web server, but that can be tricky.
Each web host, whether free or paid, has a bandwidth limit. Tripod gives you 400 megs per month. Sipernet gives betwwen 5 and 25 gigs per month. I'm pretty sure AGN has 15 gigs per month(although I could be wrong).

cyberkitten
06-10-2002, 01:04 AM
actually, the problem with the bandwidth last time was sorted out in a fairly short period of time (see what happens when a new version of ZC comes out?), but since the forums had been down over the weekend when it's almost impossible to get billing glitches taken care of (that's been my personal experience w/ a couple of hosting companies anyway), the decision was made to go ahead and upgrade to vbulletin from ubb. the forums would have been taken down anyway to do the upgrade, and since they were already down...that's what took so long. to do the initial upgrade and learn the software.
it's not the end of the world. shit happens. hey, at least we know the forums are popular!