PDA

View Full Version : Something weird I just learned ....

Ultra22Lemming
06-08-2002, 06:55 PM
I just learned that at around 6:30 A.M. Firday morning there was an earth quake right here! At the time I was taking a shower. So I didn't hear anything. My mom said it sounded like a truck going up our street. My little dog barked at that time. lol. Although the earth quake was only a 2.2 (which I'm not sure what that means). So has anyone here ever expiernced any type of natural disater, whether it be a catastrophe or barely anything?

inori
06-08-2002, 07:18 PM
2.2 is pretty weak on the earthquake scale. I felt a couple of earthquakes while I was in Japan. One was during our calligraphy class, and everyone stopped and looked around and started laughing because of the surprise.

Supposedly, there was a quake out here a month or two ago, but I didn't even notice. In fact, I haven't felt a single quake since moving to California.

Back in 1993, we had floods (pretty bad) in Kansas, and most of the midwest. Someone's car got washed off the road a mile from my house.

Nick
06-08-2002, 07:35 PM
Floods are frequent in my area. They never really affect me except school got called off early on time (when there shouldn't have been school at all because many places were already flooded).

EWild
06-08-2002, 07:37 PM
I had 900+ cm of snow a couple of years back!

King Link
06-08-2002, 08:00 PM
When I was young, a tornado ripped through our city, killing 24 or 26 people. I didn't know about it though, even though the city was under a cloud of dark clouds and hail at 3:00 something in the afternoon.

slothman
06-08-2002, 08:01 PM
9 meters of snow. That's like 26 feet! The closest thing I had was an ice storm. We don't usually get earthquakes here in NY.

Rijuhn
06-08-2002, 08:37 PM
No, not that I can really remember. I know that there was an earthquake in North Carolina, and it could be felt slightly in SE Virginia (where I live) but I never felt it because I was in the kitchen talking with my mom and sisters at the time. And a few minutes later my brother came in a told me that he saw the windows rattle. I was too young to really understand it all so I didn't really know what was going on.

Nick
06-08-2002, 08:55 PM
Oh... there was a tornado that ripped through a city near where I live. It knocked down most of the trees on the hills and destroyed a ton of houses and a few stores.

There are frequent tornado warnings in my area as well.

Jemsee
06-08-2002, 09:01 PM
Whyle in Verginia we lived right on the cost in Va. Beach, we weathered a hurricane, back in "88 or "89.

Ich
06-08-2002, 09:09 PM
I was in a hurricane (hurricane bob) in cape cod a couple years back and a tree nearly landed on the house we were staying in. My uncles put candles in the bottom of beer cans with the tops cut off (no, we are not hicks).

Jigglysaint
06-08-2002, 09:20 PM
Haha, we don't really get any disasters here in Mississauga. The last thing that happened was Hurricane Hazel, named after our mayor, I think. That was before I was born. There was a train derailment on the day of my birth, though. It was worth mentioning on TLC a few times.

Tygore
06-08-2002, 10:31 PM
How does an F5 tornado sound?

inori
06-08-2002, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by Tygore
How does an F5 tornado sound?

Typical. (Remember, I'm from Kansas! :D )

Tygore
06-08-2002, 11:30 PM
Oklahoma. :D

Drunken Tiger
06-08-2002, 11:35 PM
I was in South Carolina when that tornado came through and took the roof off a Bi Lo in Columbia a few years back.:lol:

Me and my friends were at the movies..:tongue:

AlexMax
06-09-2002, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by ICHBINDASWALROSS
I was in a hurricane (hurricane bob) in cape cod a couple years back and a tree nearly landed on the house we were staying in. My uncles put candles in the bottom of beer cans with the tops cut off (no, we are not hicks).

Hurricane Hugo?

Yeah, I slept through Hugo. It hit Charlotte, surprisingly enough, and my grandmothers beach house in Garden City was washed away.

Menokh
06-09-2002, 12:04 AM
worst disaster I've ever been in was Hurricane Bob back in 1991.
I was 6 at the time and was terrified and fascinated at the same time. 110 mph winds was enough to knock down 15 trees in my yard, and a few almost hit the house, while another almost hit my dad's truck.
I remember the power was out for two days after that, and we lived on a main road.

millmill
06-09-2002, 01:56 AM
I've been through one earthquake in my life. I was four and my dad and I were eating lunch in our living room when the house began to shake a little. After a few seconds, the shaking stopped, and we went back to eating our lunch. It turned out that a decent sized earthquake had hit in the middle of Lake Erie.

My grandparents were out in San Francisco on vacation back in 89, when the earthquake hit during the World Series. They said that they were driving down the road, and didn't even realize anything was going on until they saw some people begin to freak out.

Juego Grande
06-09-2002, 02:16 AM
What were you doing in the shower so that you couldn't hear an earthquake?