PDA

View Full Version : Read any good books lately?

theplustwo
06-08-2002, 04:50 PM
I've been reading the robot series novels by Isaac Asimov lately. They are really good. I read I, Robot first and then accidently read The Naked Sun even though it is the third in the series, but now I am reading The Caves of Steel, the second in the series. The are all good books, especially The Naked Sun, and I highly recommend them.

Plus, a cool thing about reading Isaac Asimov is that I don't have to worry about running out of material any time soon, since he was the USA's most prolific author and published 440 books in his lifetime. Some of those are physics papers and stuff though, and not novels, but there are still a lot of sci-fi books to choose from!

Menokh
06-08-2002, 05:05 PM
The Robot series consists of books not just written by Asimov.
There are by Asimov; I Robot, The Complete Robot, The Caves of Steel, The Naked Sun, Robots of Dawn, and Robots and Empire.

And Mark Tiedemann has written Asimov's Mirage, Asimov's Chimera, and Asimov's Aurora. Tiedemann's books take place between Robots of Dawn and Robots and Empire.

And Roger McBride Allen has written Caliban, Inferno, and Utopia. They take place after Robots and Empire.

And as many people know, the Foundation series takes place about 15000 years after the Robot series. I'd also recomend that you read Pebble in the Sky by Isaac Asimov, it takes place way after the Robot series but before the Foundation series, it talks about Earth wanting revenge on the Settler worlds that have become the Trantorian Empire.

They are excellent books. As of right now I am about 3/4 of the way through Chimera.

Mak-X
06-08-2002, 05:08 PM
I have been into reading books regularly in a long time. I used to read a lot of Dragon Lance books.

The book I'm currently reading from time to time is Game Over: Press Start to Continue (A History of Nintendo), about Nintendo and how it started, Donkey Kong, how NOA was formed, Mario, competition, Tetris, etc.

theplustwo
06-08-2002, 05:48 PM
I think I'm gonna read the Foundation series next, so I should have my work cut out for me :P

Ich
06-08-2002, 05:52 PM
The book Robot Dreams by Asimov is also very good.

theplustwo
06-08-2002, 06:07 PM
The funny thing is that I first heard about him from a reference in Nintendo Power when they were covering a MegeMan game.

King Link
06-08-2002, 06:56 PM
I've been reading Sword of Truth by Terry Goodkind and Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan. Those books are the very best and I enjoy reading them. Lots of action and great storylines.

Jemsee
06-08-2002, 09:52 PM
Foundation series is excellent reading. It has been some time since I read them but vary good stuff.
I can also vouch for the Sword of Truth books, definitely worth a look.
Right now I'm reading Wise and Hickmans Nightsword books for the 2nd time, then when I'm done with that a friend gave me the Dragonriders of Pern. Three books bound into one.
Dragonflight.
Dragonquest.
The White Dragon.
My brother has been bugging me to read these for years, and now finially I will.

Drunken Tiger
06-08-2002, 10:53 PM
I recommend all books by Nelson DeMille especially the newer ones..

And "Icarus" by Russel Andrews

and Matthew Reilly also writes some good books..

Happy readings!!:D:D

SSJ3500
06-08-2002, 11:56 PM
heh, I avoid books as much as I can... I dont like to read books.

vegeta1215
06-09-2002, 12:49 AM
I read a 1000 page book this semester at school. Yes, a 1000 page book! I never thought it would happen, but it did, and you know what, I loved it! And it's now my favorite book ever, and also happens to be the first modern novel, and was recently voted as the best work of fiction in the world (by the top authors around) I recommend it to anyone. This books encompasses all aspects of life, and you can analyze it and talk about it for forever, and not get bored. The book is called:

Don Quixote, by Miguel Cervantes.

If you do decide to read it, be sure to get the full version, not the abridged or shorter version. I can't remember the translation I got (cause it was originally in spanish), but all the english translations are good.

Juego Grande
06-09-2002, 01:30 AM
Piers Anthony is pretty good....

*b*
06-09-2002, 02:23 AM
I'm reading Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time" series, I'm on book 6, Lord of Chaos. This is the best series I've read in a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO*gasp*OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo*gasp*ng time, seriously.

Fiyerstorm
06-09-2002, 04:39 AM
I have to do Summer REading cause I have English Honors...I have to read 3 but I can only remmeber two right now...'The Count of Monte Cristo' and 'Night'.

King Link
06-09-2002, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by *b*
I'm reading Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time" series, I'm on book 6, Lord of Chaos. This is the best series I've read in a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO*gasp*OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo*gasp*ng time, seriously.

Wheel of Time is my favourite series of all time, followed close by Sword of Truth. Wheel of Time has a lot of action and an interesting plot, storyline. Great characters and intersting developments too.

Dracula
06-09-2002, 08:15 PM
Dracula is the best book in my collection, and I have really cool books in that collection (a lot of Stephen King). I'd recamend it to those that like horror books, has a vampire fetish, ar likes Castlevania.

plith
06-09-2002, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by Juego Grande
Piers Anthony is pretty good....

Mmmmm... Xanth... how whimsical. Very fun books those.

I was just re-reading Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead this past week. I haven't been able to get all the way through Xenocide, though. I happen to like a lot of Card's stuff better than Asimov, myself.