PDA

View Full Version : Can't we all just... get along?

Orion
06-08-2002, 11:56 AM
http://www.rpgamer.com/news/Q2-2002/060702a.html

It seems there is still some bitterness. Nintendo has a point though...

obi
06-08-2002, 12:05 PM
Hmmm, that was kinda harsh, although I guess he was trying to encourage square in a way.... :shrug:

mrz84
06-08-2002, 12:19 PM
yet another unexpected twist. well....sorta. :kawaii:

Jemsee
06-08-2002, 12:24 PM
Maybe Satoru Iwata, Nintendo's new sitting president, is trying to show he is a big, hard, leader.
Personaly I never liked it when one co. bashed another to try and make themselves look good.
It is better, IMO, to prove yourself by making a sucess on your own two feet, not by standing by someone that is somehow lesser.
So what that Square is having a hard time. That in no way makes Nintendo any better.

Juego Grande
06-08-2002, 07:46 PM
How'd that guy get to be President? Wouldn't they have chosen someone who is at least a little sensitive? (Kinda like General Leo)

Mak-X
06-08-2002, 10:03 PM
The former long time President of Nintendo, Hiroshi Yamacuchi was outright bitter about Square.

It is true from what I read about FF XI on www.ffonline.com that Square had problems from the start and didn't do that well. I guess Iwata is taking a crack at online gaming as a profitable business.

zables
06-09-2002, 02:57 AM
Well personally i dont think that Iwata, was wrong in being honest, FF XI was a complete failure... i hat eto say it, but for the first time in history, Square biffed it..

MottZilla
06-09-2002, 10:44 PM
I agree. Square is doing horrible lately, imo. And Online Gaming is NOT at all a profitable part of the market. Online gaming only takes off when its FREE. There is a very low % of gamers that would actually pay for online gaming (aside from paying for their internet access). Thats why Starcraft is such a great and successful game. Free Battle.net internet play. :p

Why encourage square when it's been such a dead company? When are they going to make another classic like Secret of Mana? When is anyone gonna have the balls to do another 2D game also. I bet the gaming industry might take a hit sometime in the near future.

EWild
06-10-2002, 07:07 PM
Yeah 2-D all the way!

AlexMax
06-10-2002, 08:34 PM
Although I agree with mottzilla to a point...

have you ever heard of EVERQUEST?

Daarkseid
06-10-2002, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by AlexMax
Although I agree with mottzilla to a point...

have you ever heard of EVERQUEST?

Yeah, really. People used to pay exorbitant prices for other people's everquest accounts, and people continue to pay the monthly fee of about 13 dollars.

FFXI, being the first true MMORPG in Japan, could've been BIG, had Square not botched several things, the least of which was underestimating demand. Their servers were not prepared for the player rush, so to speak. FFXI is only a failure then because it outdid Square's expectations too well... that and the fact the first copies of FFXI had invalid number keys.

Paradox
06-10-2002, 10:26 PM
business is business...