PDA

View Full Version : What Flavor Of Linux

Mystery-Q
06-07-2002, 11:37 PM
I want to learn how to use linux. What's the best version for a linux beginner?

Menokh
06-07-2002, 11:43 PM
Mandrake (www.mandrake.com)
Definately Mandrake. It is easy to install and administer. And it is based on Red Hat and follows the Linux Standards Base very nicely.

Mandrake has 3 CD's that you can download as ISO's, you only really need CD 1, but it is highly recomended that you get all three. If you don't want to or can't download the 3 ISO's(either have a slow modem or no cd burner) you can buy Mandrake 8.2 from the Mandrake Store or from Best Buy.

Mystery-Q
06-07-2002, 11:50 PM
I already got the CDs for mandrake. In fact I used your link. Thanx
BTW, know where good technical info for mandrake can br found other than the mandrake site?

Menokh
06-08-2002, 12:01 AM
Linux info in general works fine for Mandrake.
Most of your work in Mandrake can be done graphically, meaning you don't have to touch the command line if you don't want to. But sometimes it is faster.
Here are some good Linux related sites that may help:
www.linux.com
www.linuxnewbie.org
www.mandrakeforum.com
www.linux.org
www.linuxlinks.com

Here is some usefull general info. Most applications need to be installed as root. With rpm files simply clicking them will bring up a password field for you, but with .tar.gz files it is trickier, and you can find more info about them in the links I gave you. The hardest part about Linux for me anyway, was getting used to the installation of programs. Most prgrams install in a subdirectory of the /usr directory, and as such are very nicely organized. If you ever need to locate the binary or other files for a program the whereis command will help with that; say you needed to find where gaim was, you'd open up a terminal window(command line) and type in "whereis gaim" without the quotes. Also once a program is installed it can usually be started from the command line; say you installed AIM, AIM's binary is called aim, you could type aim at a command prompt and it would start up.

Above all, have fun! Linux is meant to be useful and fun.

vegeta1215
06-08-2002, 01:16 AM
Yep, Mandrake kicks booty.

I'd recommend reading the manual that comes with Mandrake. I found the intro to the command line parts far better than any Linux book I've seen in stores.

Actually, here it is, the reference manual: http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/doc/82/en/ref.html/

And here's the User guide: http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/doc/82/en/user.html/

Enjoy!