PDA

View Full Version : Question about Opera (browser)

King Link
06-06-2002, 10:40 PM
When I look at the forums, the column, Author (below which names and avatars of the members is posted), the width of the tables are uneven. Example, the bar right of the name is pushed up so close to the avatar all the text is put into multiple rows.

Like THIS. (http://zeldaportal.zelda-gaming.com/images/opera.jpg)

Why is that happening? How can I fix it?

J.J. Maxx
06-06-2002, 11:00 PM
Its just the way opera formats the tables. I haven't found anything that changes it. :shrug:

King Link
06-06-2002, 11:02 PM
I see. Oh well, thanks anyway. It's not that big a deal, I can live with it. I was just wondering if there was a way to fix it.

Raichu86
06-07-2002, 01:51 AM
That's what I don't like about vBs. I'm pretty sure they make a new table for every post, so none of the columns are even. It looks very ugly, but I've gotten used to it.

The board administrators could solve this problem by adding nowrap="nowrap" to the cell for poster name and info in the board templates. This would prevent things from wrapping the way they do. The only problem would be people who put long sentances in their location value... that would have to be cut down on maximum characters big time.

Thunderbird
06-07-2002, 02:06 AM
That could also cause some pretty big issues for anyone who posts large pics (I think anyway).

Menokh
06-07-2002, 03:10 AM
Originally posted by Thunderbird
That could also cause some pretty big issues for anyone who posts large pics (I think anyway).

nah. I've been using Opera for a few months now. The only problem I've had with VBB's is the avatar collumn. It depends on the size of the avatar mainly, but a single block of text(like, hfjkhfnnbvhhjhfdghjgfgfdgfd) in the location or title field can do odd things too.

goKi
06-07-2002, 07:13 AM
vb was designed with MSIE in mind, both opera and netscape have that same problem, i couldnt live with it personally and went back to IE.

The Savior
06-07-2002, 07:28 AM
Has anyone else noticed that certain animated gifs, like the lol smily and Artevi's avatar are animated waaaaaaay to fast in Opera (or maybe it's Linux that's doing it, I'm not sure). Any way to fix that?

Raichu86
06-07-2002, 07:52 AM
Haven't noticed. I have noticed some gifs refuse to animate until the page is refreshed with a magnification change.

Artevoi
06-07-2002, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by The Savior
Has anyone else noticed that certain animated gifs, like the lol smily and Artevi's avatar are animated waaaaaaay to fast in Opera (or maybe it's Linux that's doing it, I'm not sure). Any way to fix that?

Everything seems the same speed to me as when I used IE, except sometimes my avatar lags at the end of its loop :shrug: .

Menokh
06-07-2002, 05:28 PM
I haven't noticed any speed change with animated gifs in Opera or IE. Windows and Linux have the same speed animations too.

And the problem with VBB is caused by IE 'correcting' HTML on a per view basis and Opera and Mozilla interpreting it literally(like you should). The problem with VBB is on by default but can be fixed by an HTML tag(like with one of the themes). It's all because of MS wanting to make IE 'easier' to use, and they wound up making it incompatible. Do a search for a demoronizer on google, you may find a page that gives you some insight into what I mean.

AlexMax
06-07-2002, 05:34 PM
Ya...in other words, Opera and Netscape are doing it right, while IE takes shortcuts.

Typical Microsoft. Very typical.

vegeta1215
06-08-2002, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by Menokh
It's all because of MS wanting to make IE 'easier' to use, and they wound up making it incompatible. Do a search for a demoronizer on google, you may find a page that gives you some insight into what I mean.

demoronizer...hehe, I like that. :D

Hey! Check this out! It's a Perl program called demoronsier for Unix systems that corrects errors in HTML compatibility generated by MS products! Cool huh? http://www.fourmilab.ch/webtools/demoroniser/