PDA

View Full Version : Big Brother is Watching You

Seigeless
06-04-2002, 08:21 PM
Every public place you go in this era probably has some type of surveillance device trained on you. It could be a camera, motion detector, image detector, or whatever else technology allows. Although some people consent to this as a sacrifice for adequate security, I regard this total loss of the right to privacy. The other day I was strolling around an intersection, and happened to glance into a bunch security monitors set up in a corner to find several images of myself being shot from 6 different angles. There was also a time-lapse image of me walking out of my building, then corssing the street, and even one showing a still image of me and other pedestrians from seveal minutes ago. What is the purpose of this unjust Big Brother Espionage? Don't we have the right to walk down a public street without being trained on from all directions by hidden camers and detectors. If you do not call this the world of 1984, then what can you?

Skatche
06-04-2002, 08:25 PM
Oh my, this is terrible! If I should decide to whip out my credit card in a public building and wave it around in the air becaues I'm so proud of it, maybe it would get my number! And what if I should want to strip naked and dance around in the middle of a park? This way the cops will get there twice as fast! It's terrible what our world's coming to. 9_9

Honestly, there are more pressing issues to waste your time over.

Paradox
06-04-2002, 08:27 PM
it doesn't matter what the cameras see. they can't kill you. the only thing they do is keep the evidence of a crime.

Seigeless
06-04-2002, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by Paradox
it doesn't matter what the cameras see. they can't kill you. the only thing they do is keep the evidence of a crime.
You might reconsider this after reading Orwell's 1984, if you haven't done so already. :rolleyes:

Skatche
06-04-2002, 08:33 PM
I don't see any thought police, dude.

Seigeless
06-04-2002, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by Skatche
who knows, the gov. might as well already have a system up and running for that purpose... not to mention lie detectors and various other kinds of gadgets.

Tygore
06-04-2002, 08:39 PM
I think you're overreacting. I have nothing to hide, so I don't care. Now, when the govt. spies on our computers...

The Savior
06-04-2002, 08:40 PM
If you do things in public places that you don't want the police to see, then the camera's are doing their job.

Seigeless
06-04-2002, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by Tygore
Now, when the govt. spies on our computers...
you could "block access" to your comp by not connecting to anything... but you can't block access to images of yourself. I have nothing to hide, I just feel you have the right to not be stared at and recorded by mechanical eyes, which may result in yourself being accused of something you didn't commit. remember, cameras are not always unbiased witnesses.

Skatche
06-04-2002, 08:45 PM
Well, they certainly do a better job than bloody cops at being unbiased. Seriously, what's so bad about using a camera instead of a real person? It's being shot from several angles probably, and it does have to be looked at by human eyes at some point to be processed.

Zaphod Q. IX
06-04-2002, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by Skatche
No, they're coming from a different direction. ;)

While in a public place, you are not guaranteed the same privacy rights that you have in, say, your home. In this era of technology, the argument that even in public people have limited privacy rights is rapidly losing any ground it once had. You know that the cameras are there, so you should act accordingly.

The fact that we need the cameras is indeed sad, but they are there for public safety. And if you think about it, there's only one or two guys sitting there in front of all the monitors. It's not like they can watch everybody, so your privacy as an idividual is not being compromised (much).

Cases dealing with this have been before the supreme court, and they always side with the government. It always comes down to the Government's right to public safety trumping your right to limited privacy in public. That will happen every time.:shrug:

Paradox
06-04-2002, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by Seigeless
You might reconsider this after reading Orwell's 1984, if you haven't done so already. :rolleyes:

i'm not going to base my life on books, thank you very much...

Skatche
06-04-2002, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by Zaphod Q. IX

No, they're coming from a different direction. ;)

Correct. They're sneaking in through the school system. But hell, that's been going on since long before surveillance cameras were even invented.

Seigeless
06-04-2002, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Zaphod Q. IX

Cases dealing with this have been before the supreme court, and they always side with the government. It always comes down to the Government's right to public safety trumping your right to limited privacy in public. That will happen every time.:shrug:
Which indicates the direction our justice system, government, and society is heading. The publication of 1984 only delayed their plot.

Paradox
06-04-2002, 08:53 PM

Which indicates the direction our justice system, government, and society is heading. The publication of 1984 only delayed their plot.

what's with you and 1984??

Jemsee
06-04-2002, 08:57 PM
1) If a cop was standing on the same PUBLIC corner would you feel this same about him as the camera?
2) If these are around your building, they are there for you.
Say you get mugged, its all on tape, the cops can now catch the guy and you get your stuff back. Now the camera is your friend.

The Savior
06-04-2002, 09:02 PM

Or maybe it indicates that uncle sam had a good idea, and the judicial system realizes that fact.

Cronic
06-04-2002, 09:17 PM
"Still me till these mutha fucka kill me!"

Let the bitches peep all they want if they wanna know how it's done ;)